Chapter 24 – Friend
25 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oh, shit. It was the first thing that crossed his mind as he watched Isidora’s clenched fist swing wide at the traitor. And she missed. All that anger she had in that fist was left unsatisfied, urging the warrior to push forward, sending out punches after punches, missing at every chance she got.

Against a nimble archer like Skylar, her agility was the bane for someone slow like Isidora.

“Why, Skylar?!” Isidora shouted. Seething in rage as she questioned her ex-friend. “Why did you leave us to die?”

Skylar dodged Isidora’s punch by a hairbreadth. Leaping at the wall and using it as a platform to somersault above Isidora’s head. The distance between them widened and she finally had the space to reply. “You know why,” Skylar said.

“But we’re friends!” Isidora halted her assault. Using her words rather than her fists. “I’ve known you since we’re a child,” her voice trembled. “Friends don’t betray each other like that.”

“Then I guess I’m not your friend then,” Skylar said. Glancing briefly at the door where Zane stood in the middle, leaning at the door frame. “But who would have thought that miss-goodie-two-shoes would have a boy in her room right after escaping death. I guess being close to death makes you don’t want to die as a virgin, do you?” Skylar smirked.

“Shut up!” nostrils flared, Isidora let her anger dictate her. She rushed, swinging those muscular arms of her, trying to get a clean hit on the friend that abandoned her.

“To be honest, I didn’t think you would survive,” said Skylar. Ducking over a wide swing. Sidestepping to the other side as she fled to the other end of the room. “But here I am, trying to see whether I can put some good use to a deceased friend’s belonging.”

“I’ll say this once,” Isidora barked. Swinging her fist like mad. “I. Am. Not. Your. Friend!” the wooden floor cracked underneath her boots, inching closer to breaking as again Isidora missed her mark.

Skylar landed on the window frame, squatting. Giving a feast for the fortunate eyes as her short skirt revealed the view underneath. Zane was quick to stare, a man of culture, one might say.

“Get down from there!” Isidora hollered.

“I will,” Skylar sneered. “And let’s not meet again.” She tumbled herself back, vanishing from the windowsill.

Isidora raced towards the window, peering down, searching for her ex-friend. But she was gone. There was no trace of her as the warrior slammed her fist at the innocent windowsill out of vexation.

“She’s gone?” Zane came from behind. Looking at the streets below, barely putting an effort in finding the traitor. He glanced at Isidora. Noticing her whole body was shivering as droplets of tears wetted the windowsill. This young lady really went through a lot in a single day, and he pitied her.

It wasn’t his style. But he wasn’t that cold-hearted. He gently pulled her closer in his arms and embraced her. She felt the warmth of Zane and hugged him tightly. Weeping on his chest, burying her cries of sorrow as she let a man she just met console her broken heart.

After a few apple tarts and a cheesecake, Isidora mellowed down and lay asleep on her bed. Night had fallen, and Zane had yet to obtain a single spell after he splurged on spellbooks. He was told by Langdon that to obtain a new spell, he needed to fully read a spellbook till the end. And to make it better, there was no need to understand the meaning behind the sentences. As the requirement for learning was only to read. He thought Isidora could help him in reading these books for him as he listened to her like listening to an audiobook. But after that meltdown, he guessed not.

Sitting on the wooden floor, leaning on the wall. He gazed at the young lady that was sleeping peacefully with a few crumbs around her plump lips. He was getting bored, waiting. Yet it was undeniably better than his last trip. Again, glancing at Isidora, he remembered that fight between friends. From the way he saw it, Isidora had no intention of killing Skylar. If she wanted to, she would have used the sword around her belt rather than her fists.

She’s way too nice, Zane thought. But I guess I’ll do the same if I were in her position. Since killing someone might be a bit too much . . . Or am I too weak-hearted for this place?

Zane wondered. He knew well this wasn’t earth and perhaps killing was the norm, considering what he had gone through. He questioned himself whether he could do it when the time comes.

His stomach grumbled and it was a sign for him to go out and explored. He was about to leave but remember about the earring. Unlatching the one on Isidora, he then hit the road. The night was dark, but not overly dark. The street lamps or should he say bug lamps lighted the main road, giving a sense of security in the middle of the dark. Most stores were closed, except a few opened with lights coming from the open door and windows. The loud chatter and merry music echoed from the inside as Zane watched from the windows as these town folks enjoyed their life to the fullest. They looked no different than us, he thought. After a hard day of work, people returned and enjoyed the company of people, food, and drinks.

Walking past the tavern, Zane found another eatery. Yet it was devoid of the lively vibe from the previous taverns he saw. Curious, he entered. It wasn’t much of a tavern as the place was small with a cozy-like feel. It gave off the vibe of a place for those who wanted some privacy in their dinner.

“Good evening, how may I help you, sir?” a neat-looking man greeted behind the counter. Flashing a smile that could warmth the dullest customers. Zane gave something to him and pointed to put it on his ear. He was wary but did as he was told. Yet hearing a voice in his head promptly made him remove it and threw it on the counter.

I guess anyone would freak out over that, Zane thought. With not much of an option. Zane pulled out his phone and let the slow-talking begin.

The neat-looking man realized what he had done. Saying apologies a few times, and pointing at the earring as if wanting a second chance. Seeing how earnest the man was, Zane allowed it.

“Pardon my rude manners, sir,” said the neat-looking man. “I am Sabas, owner of this humble establishment. Again, I apologize for my shameful behavior. It was ignorant of me to not know such wondrous advancement in arcane tools. To make it up, tonight’s menu will be half of their original price. And I hope this will amend my mistake.”

“Not mind if I do,” Zane ordered the recommended menu as he chatted with the owner of the little eatery. He didn’t divulge much, but he did say he was from out of town, just passing by here, looking for a good spot to hunt. And as he thought, the owner was amazed by his ability to speak in two foreign languages and not the common tongue, especially the tigrisian as everyone knew that those beastkin had a long drawn hate towards humans. So the owner was largely surprised by how a Tigris could have the heart to teach their language to a human.

Their conversation continued even while Zane was eating. And truth to be told, the food in the fantasy world was less than remarkable. A bit too bland for his tongue or perhaps he had too much expectation over it.

“Apology, sir, if the food isn’t to your standard,” Sabas said.

“Does it show?” Zane had tried to hide his emotion. Yet it was easily seen through the eyes of the owner/bartender.

“With age, I’ve seen too many people, sir,” an indirect way of saying yes from Sabas. “But I do have a hidden card under my sleeve. Are you ready for dessert, sir?”

“Sure, why not?” Zane agreed and with a clap from Sabas’ hands, people started coming out from the door to the kitchen. Zane fell speechless. His jaw fell as his eyes swept over the scantily clad maidens before him. He couldn’t think straight right now as his eyes couldn’t stop ogling at these fine ladies with the most curvaceous bodies.

Okay, but what the fuck? Zane asked himself. A separate thought from the mind-link established with Sabas. He looked over at the man behind the counter as the dapper owner just smiled and gestured at the ladies. As if telling him to choose whoever he wanted.

“Is this a brothel?” Zane outrightly said. Not mincing any of his words.

“Oh, no, dear customer. This is just a little eatery where people could enjoy their meals to the fullest,” Sabas winked.

Yup. This eatery is definitely a front to a brothel, Zane thought. And he wondered. But why go through all the hassle in putting a front? Aren’t medieval people kinda open to these kinds of things?

He had many questions, and yet he didn’t want the answers to them. “Sorry, Sabas, but I think I had my fill for the night,” Zane said. Standing up from his seat.

“Wait,” Sabas grabbed him by the arm looking rather flustered. Breaking out from his usual calmness. “Are the ladies not beautiful enough?” he sounded worried.

“What’s going on, Sabas? Is this place illegal or something?” he asked.

Sabas looked the other way. “It’s not like that, sir, but, business hasn’t been good lately,” he said.

Again, Zane was surprised. He had never thought that men of the medieval fantasy age would have the integrity to not have sex out of wedlock. But that assumption of his was quick to be overturned.

“The men of this town don’t actually favor women from another continent,” Sabas said.

Zane took another look at these gorgeous ladies and noticed their features were far from being native. They were closer in appearance to the Punjabis of his world and when compared to the majority of Caucasian ladies in this town, their appearances were very different.

“I see,” Zane said. Taking another glance at the ladies, devoid of any thought of sleeping with them. The danger of STDs was something he didn’t want to try in this world as who knows it might be a lot worse than the one back home. But an idea came through.

“Since you’re insisting, do any of them know how to read?”

The night went on as Zane sat across one of the scantily dressed ladies. Her name was Hema and this time she was dressed properly from top to bottom. Well, Zane would have loved to see more skin but the night was cold and he wouldn’t want the lady to suffer. She read for him one of the books he brought after he went back for it in Isidora’s room. Her voice rang in his mind. And by the end of the last word, the thing he waited came.

[You have learned Fireball.]

He cast his new spell. And a fireball the size of his palm emerged. Floating above his hand as he controlled it with the delicate movement of his fingers. Throughout all of this, the man from earth couldn’t stop smiling. He played around like a kid who just found a new toy. Then he clenched his fist tight and the fireball extinguished into thin air.

Zane locked eyes with Hema, smiling. “Read me another.”

3