Ch. 25 Fateful Night (02)
415 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You have become weaker.” 

Assassin glanced at Ryan. At that moment, his shoulder slumped, and he looked slightly lost as he gazed at the setting sun from under the balcony beside 

“...is it that obvious?” 

He lost his strongest power. Obviously, he would have become weaker– 

“–your will has wavered. You have lost.” Assassin stated indifferently, stating the cold-hard truth directly. 

“……” 

Ryan wanted to retort, but he found no words coming out from himself. He was silent. 

What she said was true. He had lost. Even if ‘he’ was him from the future, Ryan was still defeated by himself. Ryan hung his head low as he remembered his fight with Archer earlier. 

Pak! 

A pair of slender hands grabbed his face forcefully, turning him to look directly at her eyes. 

“Our first meeting was awful. We also did not have much memories worth remembering even as this contract bound us. Honestly, I would love nothing more but for you to give up now. However– 

“As your Servant, IF you even have the tiniest bit of will to keep fighting, I would have no choice but to accompany you to the end. Even at the moment of your death, I will attend you.” 

Assassin had made her point clear. If Ryan still could not make up his mind, then… 

She would just silently watch how things would turn out later on, neither helping nor hindering him any further.  

“I…” 

Ryan could feel her resolve as he looked straight into her eyes. 

In spite of her immortality, she was a being who had been met with even more unhappiness and tragedy in her life than himself. 

If even she could still force herself to keep moving forward, despite her many setbacks and incrimination occurred to her, what was his right to be feeling depressed in this critical moment? 

“…I didn’t think it would be you who ended up consoling me. Honestly, I envy your late husband, lady. 

“If only I were the one who met you earlier, I would definitely not let you go.” 

Ryan smiled a little. He held her hands softly as he spoke his mind sincerely. He could feel his wavering spirit had been reignited by her words. 

“…Ehmn. Don’t let it go to your head. You looked so pathetic just now that I couldn’t help saying those stupid things. 

“If you even have the mood to joke around, then you’re probably fine already.” 

Assassin turned around as she returned to her spiritual form. 

Ryan might not have noticed it, but her ears were a little bit red when she heard his heartfelt feeling just now. 

Yeah, it was only a little bit. She felt like it was only because the air inside the room was warmer than usual, so much that she could not help feeling a little flustered over his sudden confession. 

‘…anyway, thank you, lady.’ Ryan thought silently as he saw Assassin turned into spiritual form. 

‘I still have other means. If I give up because of this little setback, my second life would be just in vain! 

'Status.’ 

[Name]: Emiya Ryan 

[Strength]: C-

[Vitality]: D+

[Dexterity]: C-

[Spirit]: A

[Luck]: C- 

[Innate]: Mystic Eyes of Heaven's Gaze (D) 

[Essence Point]: 32.8 

[Skill]: 

• Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 4 – Awakening) (15%) 

> Seal of Samsara (1/6) 

>> Devour the Sky 

• Magecraft (C-) 

> Mana Bullet (A) 

> Refinement (B+)

> Gradation Air (A) 

> Transmutation (C) 

> Mirror Alter (C) 

> Boundary Field (D) 

• Connection to the [Root] (D) 

• Blessing of Corrupted Heaven (C) 

• Heaven's Feel (False) (D) 

When Ryan saw his current stats, his face couldn't help twitched hard.  

His [Strength], [Vitality], and [Dexterity] all went down more than one full rank directly after losing Frost Dragon King Arcane Art. Especially his [Vitality] stat which went down two full rank from (B+) to (D+). 

He had realized how bad it was to rely heavily on Arcane Art rather than building his own stats personally. 

Strength gained through a shortcut is just like playing gamble; one could lose them as fast as they get them. 

Just like what happened to him now... 

If he had focused on both Arcane Art and his own stats, although the progress would be slower, he would probably not end up so miserable now. 

Ryan's greatest reliance and his base of confidence in this world was previously build on the foundation of his Frost Dragon King Arcane Art. 

Although Demon King Solomon Arcane Art had its own merit, but its improvement was not as clear as Frost Dragon King Arcane Art's. That's why Ryan put most of his effort on the latter. 

Though, it went horribly for him now. 

'My remaining EP can only upgrade one stat by full rank once. And it could not even push Demon King Solomon Arcane Art to level 5.' 

'...if anything, I haven't tried to upgrade my innate ability in all these years. If I have to bet my odds no matter what I do...' 

Ryan thought silently. As he did so, he could feel his EP rapidly decreased, and a warm energy washed over his eyes gently. 

[Heaven's Gaze (C)] 

When it was over, he noticed his EP had decreased by 30, it was the same cost as upgrading normal stat by one full rank. 

'This is..?! Unbeliavable...' 

His vision became clearer, and he could see through into deeper essence of matters; be it living being or inorganic matter. 

What truly made Ryan surprised was that he could 'see' weak links among the bonds between matters. 

It might seem like simple ability, but when it was magnified– it could allow Ryan to properly 'see' weak points in almost anything. 

Almost. Because he had yet to test it out on any higher beings, such as; Gods, Divine Spirits, and other higher level creatures or items. 

If his innate ability had this ability even at rank (C), what sight would he 'see' at higher rank? 

'Fuck.' 

Ryan felt an intense regret that his gut turned green. 

Had he known his innate ability had such great potential, he would have invested a lot of EP to it since early then. 

Of course, there was nothing like regret medicine in this world... 

Ryan could only keep moving forward. 

He exhaled a deep sigh as his expression then became firm. His mind become clear; he had removed his doubts, indecision, and the ill feelings haunting his heart. 

The shadow of his defeat against Archer had disappeared, what was left was only a burning desire to smash that bastard's face deep to the ground under! 

"There's only one thing left..." 

Since it has come to this, I can only bet on it too! 

"Lady Yu, I need your help." Ryan called out to his side. 

"...what's it?" Yu Miaoyi appeared at his right as she looked strangely apathetic to Ryan. 

Ryan took her hand into his as he urged Demon King Solomon Arcane Art, "Forgive my selfishness. But, I need your power." 

"What do you mean–..!" 

The moment Ryan grabbed her hand, Assassin suddenly felt her consciousness was brought into a strange white space. 

Unfamiliar images flowed into her mind as she stood silently there. 

She seemed to see someone's memories through the first person perspective. 

That person's life could not be more ordinary than it was. Yet, at the end of his life, something unimaginable happened to him which changed his 'next' life since then. 

When Yu Miaoyi opened her eyes, she saw Ryan was also inside this strange space. He was standing silently, his gaze was blank as he also seemed to experience similar thing with her. 

"You are actually..." 

Her gaze looked strange when she looked at Ryan again. 

It could not be helped. After she knew his secret, even she couldn't help but marvel at the unimaginable things that could happen in this world, no matter how strange or improbable they were. 

Not long later, Ryan also opened his eyes. 

"...I know what you want to do. You could have just used your Command Seal, and I couldn't even resist it. But, why did you choose not to use them?" Assassin said with an inquisitive look on her eyes. 

Ryan looked straight into her eyes. His eyes were clear as he replied earnestly, "I need your help as an individual. I don't merely covet your power, lady." 

Her eyes widened slightly when she heard him. 

So you're saying it's my own decision from now onward? 

She chuckled as she looked at him playfully, "If I refuse?" 

"...then, so be it. I will just use ordinary means to fight Archer." 

Assassin was quiet for few seconds as she watched him, looking for any falsehoods from him. 

She had been betrayed, incriminated, pursued like a plague by human countless times in her long life. 

When she had finally found small harbor to rest, even then, those human also could not understand the truth about the man she had fallen in love with. 

Honestly, she had distrusted human since long ago. 

Assassin's face suddenly turned serious. 

"Do you really think you can bear the weight of my existence– of my entire history? Even if you would also be subjected to the same things I have once experienced?" 

Ryan smiled. Since she asked it, there's a higher chance she wouldn't refuse him.  

His eyes shone determination as he replied with resolve, 

"Even if I have to endure through hell, even if I have to scale the sky; 

"If I want to stand upright in this entire Heaven and Earth, living unfettered life as I wish, unbounded by the machinations of Fate; 

"I will do it! Even if my body breaking, my spirit shattering, I will have to endure them!" 

At his reply, Assassin smiled. It was truly a breathtaking smile that Ryan's heart couldn't help skipping a beat. 

"...then, don't regret it. This is also your choice, Ryan." 

At that moment, in the real world, Assassin's figure had disappeared. 

What was left inside the workshop was only Ryan who stood there with his eyes closed. 

His expression changed from time to time. From the initial curiosity, surprised, shock, pained, tenderness, furious... and finally an indifferent look.  

His expressions kept changing as influx of mana quickly gathered into his body. 

At same time, unbeknownst to Ryan, notification alerts had appeared inside his mind. 

[Seal of Samsara. Second Seal – Geass of Fealty, acquired.] 

[Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 4 – Awakening) (20%)] 

[Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 4 – Awakening) (45%)] 

[Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 4 – Awakening) (70%)] 

[Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 4 – Awakening) (100%)] 

Ding! 

Ryan was surrounded by multicolored lights which immediately rushed into his soul, cleansing and nurturing it further to reach a brand new height. 

[Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 5 – Soul Transformation) (10%)] 

When Ryan finally opened his eyes, he was stunned by the last notification which appeared. He was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. 

'I broke through? Just like that?' 

* * * 

"The fourth stage of Demon King Solomon Arcane Art – Awakening; 

Deity or Demon, what's even their difference...? 

One could choose to either walk the path of Deity or Demon according to their standard and will. 

Share one's fortune and woe with others; this is the Deity path. 

Rob other being's fortune, forsake their woe; this is the Demon path. 

It seems that you have chosen the former path, young man." 

At a certain place, a beautiful woman was looking at the scene of someone's breakthrough from the mirror in front of her. 

Her eyes shone a little from curiosity and she looked quite in high spirit as her lips curved upward into an enchanting smile. 

"It looks like it's not in vain that I gave you those Arcane Arts. 

"Whether you're the Black Dragon King or the Inheritor of Domination Demon King, I will await your arrival in Celestial Realm. 

"Don't die in the middle, young man." 

Small giggles escaped from her charming, luscious lips as she watched the scenes inside the mirror. Her eyes were filled with mischievous ideas, and her true intention was totally unreadable. 

* * * 

Alternative Title: 

"Breakthrough, level 5!"; "Second Seal, acquired!"; "Innate Eyes breaking through the Heaven!" 

16