Ch. 26 Fateful Night (03)
426 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment Ryan broke through to level 5 of Demon King Solomon Arcane Art, he could feel there was fundamental change happening to his soul and spirit. 

It was like the impurities on his soul and spirit were cleansed, causing the state of his soul to reach the height unimaginable to him before and his perception of the world was enhanced many times better. 

When he tried to 'see' his current soul, Ryan saw that its color had turned translucent with slight hint of red color; it also became even more solidified than before. 

Ryan felt his soul was already quite durable. He even thought that he could bring his soul out of his body and utilized it for various purposes. 

Similar with his soul, his soul altar also became increasingly compact and hard, gradually turning from surreal to real. The engraving on it had turned more complicated and profound after Ryan realized the second Seal of Samsara. 

There was also some improvement to his physique, but their improvement could be said a little lacking compared to evolution of his soul. 

'Status.' 

[Name]: Emiya Ryan 

[Strength]: C+

[Vitality]: C+ 

[Dexterity]: C+ 

[Spirit]: A+ ~ EX 

[Luck]: C 

[Innate]: Heaven's Gaze (C) 

[Essence Point]: 2.8 

[Skill]: 

• Demon King of Domination Arcane Art (level 5 – Soul Transformation) (10%) 

> Seal of Samsara (2/6) 

>> Devour the Sky 

>> Geass of Fealty 

• Magecraft (B): 

> Mana Bullet (A+) 

> Refinement (A) 

> Gradation Air (A+) 

> Transmutation (B) 

> Mirror Alter (B) 

> Boundary Field (C) 

• Connection to the [Root] (C) 

• Heaven's Feel (True) (C) 

• Soul Contractor: 

> Yu Miaoyi (Assassin) (B) 

>> Presence Concealment (B) 

>> Incarnated Spirit (A) 

>> Taoist Winged Sage (A) 

>> Bloodsucking (C) 

"…Well, what can I say beside it looks nice now? There is no more D grade in my score sheet." 

Ryan felt awesome after seeing the overall improvement and addition of new skillset in his status panel. 

His [Strength] and [Dexterity] stat were upgraded by two grades from previous "C-" to "C+". 

Meanwhile, his [Vitality] stat was improved by one full rank, similarly reaching rank "C+". 

The evolution of his soul brought his [Spirit] stat to fluctuate between "A+" and "EX" rank, which Ryan believed would eventually stabilize at "EX" rank after some time passed. 

His previous skills were raised by one rank each, a dubious skill like [Blessing of Corrupted Heaven] was removed, and his [Heaven's Feel] skill had a qualitative change that made it (True) rather than its previous (False) status. 

To his surprise, his [Connection to the [Root]] had increased by one rank, indicating he was a step closer to the [Root]. 

Moreover, that one stat he could not raise through usage of EP previously had unexpectedly increased; his [Luck] stat went up from "C-" to "C" in this unexpected breakthrough. 

'Is it because of my qualitative breakthrough, or is it because my new contract with Yu?' 

Demon King Solomon's Arcane Art consisted of eight stages before it was considered reaching completion. 

The first three stages were building the foundation, 

The fourth stage was the deciding wall which determined practitioner's future path, 

The fifth, sixth, and seventh stage were true beginning for practitioner of Demon King Solomon's Arcane Art. At this stage, the difference in comprehension would lead to different paths among the same practitioners. 

As for the eighth stage, according to Ryan's estimation, one would need to refine the 

culmination of their comprehension, techniques, spirit, and some fortuitous opportunity to finally step onto it. 

Perhaps, at that time, one could really turn into a Deity or Demon at their will. 

Since Ryan had just broken through the fifth stage, he had finally stepped into true beginning of Demon King Arcane Art. 

"This feels really strange." Yu Miaoyi appeared behind Ryan like a phantom. Her figure was transparent, and she seemed floating like a ghost. 

Her situation right now was quite special. She could feel her connection with Throne of Heroes had been severed as she was linked directly with Ryan's source of life. 

If she happened to die in battle, she would not return to the Throne, she would instead return to Ryan's soul altar and be resurrected there. Currently, rather than a Heroic spirit Servant, she was more like Ryan's own ghost spirit now. 

Her abilities remained mostly the same, though they would rely mostly on Ryan's mana reserve. However, since she could also sustain herself by taking mana from her surrounding, it was not that much of problem for her actually. 

Since their life was interconnected on fundamental level, she could also borrow Ryan's abilities for her own use. Similarly, the vice versa also applied to Ryan in which he could also use her abilities as he wished to. 

The drawback was that she would also likely to die if Ryan died... 

"This sure is anticlimactic in a sense." Ryan said while laughing lightly. 

"Why?" 

"After all, I thought I would have to resist Gaia's Will if I want to do this with you." 

When Ryan was merging Yu Miaoyi into his soul altar, he had also experienced the entirety of her life through their shared memories; her happiness, sadness, grief, anger, and her long period of solitude. 

When he devoured Black Iri back then, although he also gained Irisviel's knowledge, he only knew them but he didn't understand how they could be as such. This state caused the skills he got from Black Iri to be flawed, their rating dropped by one or two full ranks. 

This time, because he didn't forcefully rob Assassin's power and knowledge, instead chose a coexistence state, Ryan managed to get her skills at their prime state. 

"...are you confident to face off against Archer now?" 

"Lie or truth?" 

"Tell me your honest bet!" 

"If the previous odds are around 1/10, then I feel like my odds now would be around 3/10 probably?" 

"..." 

"Don't worry. It just means I have to hit him three fatal strikes before I could ensure my victory. Besides, with your blessing, I won't die that easily, lady." 

...being a Servant is too tiring. I want to return back to reading my books alone... 

Yu Miaoyi was speechless seeing Ryan's confident look. 

With the odds 3/10, it means he has 7/10 higher chance to lose or dying. Whatever. Wouldn't the worse outcome just to die?! Let's just settle this fast!  

She had experienced death many times that she was actually numb to it already. 

All of sudden, Ryan's body was engulfed in flaming conflagration. His face was calm as he looked at the flame which looked like they were burning fiercely on him. Soon after, these flames had turned into black-ish red robe covering Ryan. 

His upper body was covered by black gauze crisscrossing over him like bandage, his lower body was clothed in black and red raiment coated by fiery flame. A Jian Chinese sword also appeared on each of his hands. 

Albeit with some differences, Ryan's current look actually bore similarity to Yu Miaoyi's look when she appeared in her awakened True Ancestor state. 

Oddly, Ryan felt that his current appearance also reminded him of Ichigo Kurosaki's appearance when Ichigo performed Final Getsuga Tenshou. 

[Vitality (C+) -> (A+)] 

"So, it only increases my vitality stat? Hmm, it is slightly lower than my expectation." Ryan looked thoughtfully at his current appearance. 

Just now he had used his [Soul Contract] with Yu Miaoyi which resulted in this transformation. 

Since his other stats were not raised like his Vitality stat, it could be assumed the effect of [Soul Contract] was limited. 

It perhaps only enhanced the part that Ryan was lacking at. As for other stats in which he had higher rating compared to Yu Miaoyi's, those stats would not be enhanced. 

"Hey?! You mean I am weak?!!" Yu Miaoyi glared angrily at Ryan after hearing him underestimating her power. 

"Nah. Why would I say so? Your ability is actually good. With this, I would have better chance to survive the upcoming fight." Ryan spoke while he undid his transformation. He had swiftly returned to his normal appearance. 

Since Archer has not appeared even until this time, he should be preoccupied in something else. 

He seems like he wants something from me badly in our last fight. If he even disregards my weak state now to do something else, it means that that matter's importance must be higher in priority than me. 

Hehe boi~ won't I be failing this godsent opportunity if I don't go to spoil your plan? I am not some gentlemen who minds one's weak moment for a fair fight. 

"We'll storm Archer's base, lady." 

"Hey, do you even know where his base is?" Yu Miaoyi had already returned inside Ryan's soul altar. 

Ryan managed to see Sakura who was controlled by old man Zouken behind Archer back then. When Ryan saw Sakura swallowing Gilgamesh's and Berserker's ether body, Ryan could deduce what Archer was up to. 

He intended to summon Avenger! 

Truthfully, it was also Ryan's plan since the beginning. He wanted to swallow the dying Servants in this Grail War before he would later summon Avenger in his own body and devoured it through Demon King Arcane Art. 

Similar with Ryan's, Archer's end goal should be the purified Greater Grail. 

Ryan didn't know how Archer would devour Avenger as his Demon King Arcane Art had been crippled since a long time ago... 

However, since both of them intended to summon Avenger, the best place for conducting its ritual would be at Ryuudou Temple, specifically at the cavern underneath the Temple. 

"He should be staying at the cavern under Ryuudou Temple." Ryan's eyes narrowed as another possibility crossed his mind. 

'This is clearly a blatant trap, one I can't help but jump into!'  

It was almost impossible Archer didn't know that Ryan would not let him do as he pleased at his critical moment. 

Even if there were some differences in practice, their core thinking should be similar. If Ryan was a shameless man who ignored fair fight, Archer should also be like that too. 

Since Archer knew that Ryan would try to mess up his plan, he should have had prepared countermeasures in place. 

If Ryan did go there, he would also basically jump into Archer's trap. 

However, if this was indeed a critical moment for Archer, and if Ryan didn't go there, it would be basically allowing Archer to power up smoothly. His odds in winning against Archer would be even lower then... 

'...living so long indeed makes one to be more scheming. Good, good, good! Damn sly old fox!' 

But, since Archer was a Servant, he should also have similar weakness like other Servants; the connection with his Master. 

"Lady, could you invite a certain girl from Tohsaka family? I bet she would love it seeing Archer's situation now." Cold glint flashed inside Ryan's eyes. 

"Sure." Yu nodded as her presence gradually disappeared. 

Taking hostage? No problem. At least he understands the importance of this battle. 

Yu Miaoyi thought silently as she was about to depart. 

"We will meet up in the cavern, lady." 

"En..."

Since he is weaker than his enemies, what's wrong with doing some underhanded means to win? It's not like he's some kind of saint anyway, he is just a normal human. 

It would be better if Archer has not cut off his connection with Rin. However, even if he has cut their connection, she would be still of use. 

"Take care of yourself, Illya." Ryan looked toward Illya's room as he vanished from the workshop. 

"...evil brother, don't die out there." 

A soft sigh escaped from Illya's room as she felt Ryan's presence had disappeared. 

Meanwhile, later at Tohsaka mansion. 

A young girl was preparing her jewel magecraft when a shadowy figure suddenly appeared not far behind her. 

"Tohsaka Rin. Will you come with me nicely, or do I need to use force?" 

Rin stopped what she was doing as she turned around. 

She saw a woman wearing dark turtleneck sweater-dress was staring indifferently at her, holding a thin sword on each her hands. 

"...is it about Archer? Unfortunately, you're too late. He has severed our contract." Rin looked at the dim Command Seal on her hand with gloom apparent in her eyes. 

Yu appeared slightly surprised seeing Rin was speaking the truth. She kept her composure as she added, "The order I got was to bring you along, as for what my Master wants to do with you, that's not my concern." 

"Your Master is...?" 

"...Emiya Ryan." 

Rin's eyes widened in surprise. She was taken aback. After contemplating for few seconds, Rin nodded to Yu Miaoyi, "I will follow you." 

. . . 

Half an hour later. 

Ryan had quietly arrived near the entrance of the underground cavern beneath Ryuudou Temple. 

Along the way there, he found out that monks on Ryuudou Temple had been evacuated for some reasons, and the Temple was as empty as graveyard now. 

Even at this distance Ryan could already feel immense mana permeating through the air coming from deep inside the cavern. 

"Well, well, well, my lord is right indeed. You really dare to storm this place upfront, young man." 

Matou Zouken had slowly walked from behind the cavern wall. 

Contrary to his usual look of decrepit, zombie-like old man, his appearance now had returned to the state when he was younger and at his prime condition. He now looked quite good-looking and bearing an evil charm which could steal the ladies' heart with ease.  

'Zouken's appearance now...' 

"Did he use the Greater Grail to give you your new body?" Ryan's expression sank. 

His worst prediction really came true! 

If Archer could grant Matou Zouken a new and better body, it was likely that Archer had finished purifying the Greater Grail. It also meant Archer could use the Grail as much he wished now. 

'This scale is just like a singularity point... Fuck!' 

"As expected of his younger self. You catch on quick." Zouken smiled slightly. 

"So what? You are going to stop me?" Ryan sneered as he pointed his sword at Zouken. 

Zouken looked calm. He shook his head as he pointed toward deep into the cavern, saying lightly, "Honestly, I was told to let you inside when you appear. However, I also have this itching feeling that I want to test you myself. 

"Say, how about that little girl also come out? I will deal with both of you together!" 

At Zouken's declaration, faint sound of footsteps could be heard approaching from behind Ryan. 

"Ahh~ I was found out. What do you say, Saber? Should we– make a run for it? Or, should we kill that handsome old man?" 

It was a familiar voice Ryan had often listened, the one who had accompanied him for long time since his time in Homurahara Academy. 

He already felt a presence following him since some time ago, but since he was quite in a rush, he did not have time to check on who was tailing him. But, he did not expect that person tailing him to be a close acquaintance. 

"Kanade…" 

When Ryan turned around, he saw a familiar yet also unfamiliar person was walking toward him. 

Kanade was accompanied by a female swordsman wearing certain group's haori by her side. 

'Her Servant is Saber? No wonder I could not summon Artoria Saber back then, her vessel class is already filled by Okita Souji!'

At the same time, an old man wearing black shade and grey clothing walked out from Zouken's side. 

"I'll leave her Servant to you, Assassin." 

"It looks like no matter which era it is, people would always shed other's blood. Understood. I will deal with that young swordswoman." 

Assassin nodded slightly to Zouken's order before he turned his attention to Saber. "This really brings back memories. We meet again, little girl." 

"Assassin… Li Shuwen!" 

Kanade had already walked beside Ryan. She was looking at Saber who already started to fight with Li Shuwen. 

Ryan was looking deeply at Kanade. Her appearance and bearing had really changed far from what he remembered about her.  

Her previous silky black hair had turned into crimson red color, like color of blood. Her aura was silent, chilly, and she also had this hair-raising smell of blood proof that she had taken enough lives to even dye her essence. It was such a stark contrast to her previous bright, sunny-like temperament she had had few months ago. 

"…surprised seeing me like this, Ryan?" Kanade tried her best to smile like she was used to, yet it only brought her discomfort and looked weird instead. 

"I am shocked, of course. But, I already knew your circumstance from Ayumi, I could somewhat understand what you've been going through." 

"Ayumi… is she alright? I couldn't meet her, not when I am like this…" Kanade looked slightly worried. 

Seeing Kanade worrying over her little sister more than herself, Ryan could not help exhaling a sigh. 

It was truly unfortunate for this pair of sisters to go through such tragedy. 

–Although, the world was not fair to begin with. 

Ryan could not help every unfairness and tragedies happening in the world, nor did he even had the will or the means to do so. 

Even so, Ryan hoped that at least people close to him would not have to endure such unfairness…

"She is fine. She is now living together with Taiga-sensei until she could live by herself later." 

Ryan concealed the fact about their step-father who wanted to rape Ayumi from Kanade. Anyway, his act failed and he had already died. Rather than giving Kanade another thing to worry and angry upon, Ryan purposely did not say it for now. 

"However, what about you, Kanade? What do you want to do now?" 

Kanade was relieved hearing her sister was doing fine. However, she turned silent when she heard Ryan's next question. 

"…I plan to see through this to the end. My hands are stained with blood of many people, and I have destroyed other's happiness as I like for my own's interest. 

"Regardless of how I end up later, for better or worse, I feel that it's also my own punishment." 

"…" 

"What are you dilly-dallying for now? I have some beef with Archer, so feel free to hit him in my stead too. I will handle this old man, Ryan." Kanade smiled as she nudged Ryan lightly. 

When Kanade smiled just now, Ryan could see a flicker of the past Kanade for a moment there– that proud, yet actually kind girl who shared a lot of memories with him since few years ago. 

Ryan felt like he had to say something, but he also could not find more words to say. In the end, he sighed as he bid her farewell, "Take care, Kanade. Don't go dying here, you still have a sister to take care of at home." 

Ryan rushed past Matou Zouken who merely stared silently at him. True to his previous words, Zouken actually did not try anything funny to Ryan when he went past him. 

Just in case, Ryan's shadow flickered slightly before returning normal for a split second there. 

Kanade was silent as she saw Ryan went deeper into the cavern. 

Home? 

I already lost it along with my family who died ten years ago… Even Ayumi is also not my real family. 

Within these fleeting memories of mine, there is only that one guy who have left the deepest and lasting mark inside my heart. 

I should have known… since the first time we met back then, at that moment I lost to you, and my later subsequent obsession to surpass you… I should have realized it… 

"Truthfully, facing the both of you would be strenuous even for me. But, now that he has gone, let's settle this fast, little girl!" 

Countless swarm of bugs appeared from everywhere at Zouken's command. They frantically went toward Kanade in attempt to drown her and suck her lifeforce dry. 

At same time, blood mist surged crazily from Kanade's body, swallowing the bugs who went inside its range. 

"My thought exactly!" Kanade's eyes had unknowingly turned crimson as she began her counterattack. 

Later, surely – 

If I have the chance, I would definitely tell him my true feeling… 

Swish! Swish! Swish!

Swarms of blade-winged worms suddenly shot out from the ground beneath Kanade, slicing past her body fast like a flash of lightning! 

. . . 

When Ryan arrived deep inside the cavern, he could see a black-robed man was sitting calmly on the throne made out of countless bone. On his hand was a golden goblet which he played around as he liked. 

His body had no aura or power, as if he was merely an ordinary person. However, Ryan knew that all that man's power could burst out suddenly at moment's notice, drowning his enemies in total despair at how deep and vast his true might. 

"What took you so long? I have even finished refining Avenger and the Holy Grail, Ryan." Archer spoke lightly with smile on his face. 

15