Ch. 29 Fateful Night (06)
438 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Within the barrier, Ryan could see it clearly. The moment when Artoria thrusted her Sacred Lance, piercing through the Light of Destruction. 

Even so, despite the Sacred Lance's enormous might, it still could not totally ward off Archer's Noble Phantasm. It was only able to provide a small path in front of Ryan and Artoria untouched by the annihilation light. 

Artoria's figure was glowing in sacred light as she kept channeling her power through the Sacred Lance. Even resisting it for each second was enough to burn one's existence to dust, yet she kept holding on for enough time until Ryan could heal himself.

"...how–?"

Ryan originally wanted to ask how she could be here if her existence was merely a dream?

Yet, when he saw she was burning her life to give him a chance of survival, Ryan was silent. He swallowed those words as he went to her side. Ryan grabbed the burning hot Sacred Lance as he poured as much mana as he could into it, without caring for his expenditure.

"...I am not a Servant."

"Hn."

"...once, at certain magic ritual. There was this one guy who wished to meet a certain Servant. However, he did not have the necessary relic or connection to properly summon her."

"En. I know that guy. He must be pretty silly to have such wish without proper preparation."

Hearing what Ryan had just said, Artoria smiled. Even when she felt herself burned by the annihilation light, she couldn't help letting out small chuckles despite their grave situation.

"Yes, he is really a silly person. Even so, his wish was really answered. He himself is a wish-granting device after all. Since he wished for 'her', the Greater Grail thus blessed his wish.

"However, what appeared was not a proper Servant. Since 'she' was not summoned properly, her existence was like a mirage. She had to attach herself to a proper vessel. And that vessel was the original Servant who answered his summon first..."

"..."

"After he realized the truth, albeit only part of the whole truth, her connection with the world have been getting weaker. Even then, 'she' also could not leave him."

"...why?" Ryan looked at Artoria. He felt his heart was beating more nervously now rather than when he was fighting Archer.

"Her existence was born from his earnest wish, and he also loved her. Why would 'she' leave him? And..."

"And... what?" Ryan was slightly nervous, and also curious at same time.

"He has promised her to do things they have missed together. It seems that 'she' also has quite the expectation on them."

When Artoria smiled just now, Ryan felt that Archer's Light of Destruction was not really a big deal, his spirit was high as ever. As if he could keep going on and on forever.

"Then, looks like he shouldn't disappoint you. But, are you sure about this? You may not be able to separate yourself from him anymore after this." Ryan had serious look on his face as he said that.

At this moment, Artoria's figure was also gradually dissipating as they spoke. Even after Ryan shared her burden, Archer's Light of Destruction was still too much to bear on her incomplete state.

"If it comes to that, then he would take responsibility for her for all her life, right?" 

Artoria replied softly.

Ryan heaved a sigh of relief. He had a certain expectation, so he was slightly nervous in case. Then, without hesitation, he grabbed her hand tightly as his countenance became firm.

'Seal of Samsara. Second Seal – [Geass of Fealty].'

A bright light encased both Ryan and Artoria within its golden brilliance.

[Strength (C+) -> (B)]

[Dexterity (C+) -> (A)]

Few seconds later, the Light of Destruction from Archer's Noble Phantasm gradually dimmed. After its final radiance burst off, Archer was surprised seeing a knight with shining armor was standing in Ryan's place.

"To even survived that... You managed to surprise me, Ryan."

Archer didn't really expect Ryan to last that long inside the annihilation light. He was going to stop his Noble Phantasm when Ryan was on the verge of death, but Ryan had surpassed his expectation again.

'Still, those two sly bitches really played a trick behind my back. It doesn't matter. I bet their face would definitely look hilarious later. Hahaha!'

As fiery flame surged from inside his armor, Ryan stomped hard on the ground as he leaped forth.

Boom!

"It's round two, fucker."

The Sacred Lance swept past Archer by a hair's breadth, its path was blocked by Archer's nameless sword. 

"Bring it on!" 

Two men fought closer than ever as they traded blows with lightning speed. 

Clank!

Ryan's helmet was torn off, his black hair swayed wildly by the wind. His cheek was scraped by the nameless sword, leaving a deep cut on it.

Slash!

Archer's shoulder was lacerated by the sacred lance, burnt air could be smelled from his wound.

Clang! Clang! Tink! 

Both of them had been pretty much exhausted from their battle earlier. Now, rather than a clash of raw power like before, they were fighting with techniques and battle skills. 

However, since Archer's battle experiences were also transmitted to Ryan as their fight went on, their battle currently looked like a warrior who fought their own mirror image. 

Each one knew what the other party wanted to do beforehand, and also prepared appropriate countermeasure for it. 

Slash! Slash!

When both of his arms were severed, Ryan quickly switched to his feet. Coated in flaming conflagration, he swept Archer away as his arms rapidly regenerated.

Archer had his chest ruptured by the sacred lance, yet it still couldn't truly break through his dragon skin. There was a sliver line of flesh between the lance and his heart. 

Trang! Trang!

The lance and sword clashed fiercely as both fighters wished for nothing more than killing their opponent. 

Even so, both of them were grinning in unmistakable delight as they fought bravely. Despite their true intention, both of them were actually fans of a hearty, satisfying battle. 

Cut!

Bam!

Ryan's armor was finally slashed apart by Archer as he was sent crashing to the cavern wall! 

Soon, Ryan walked out of the rubbles with flaming wings on his back. The Sacred Lance was coated by crimson flame.

Swoosh... Swoosh...

The fiery wings behind his back swayed back and forth gently as he looked coldly at Archer.

"It was fun while it lasted, Archer. But, this is the end. I will take your life!"

'Now!'

Like a burning arrow, Ryan dashed in blinding speed. He thrusted the sacred lance forward, aiming at Archer's heart.

Archer merely smiled mockingly.

After fighting Ryan for so long, even he had also become weary and tired. However, if Ryan wanted to take his life at this moment, he still had long ways to go.

"Haha! On what basis–?"

Archer was about to raise his sword when his sight suddenly caught a familiar scene behind Ryan.

'Bastard!'

At far distance behind Ryan, a shadowy figure had unknowingly appeared. At same time, she was holding an unconscious Rin with a sword placed on Rin's neck.

Although the current scene was way different from back then, Archer couldn't help recalling that particular scene back then. It was when he was besieged from all directions, while 'Kanade' was holding his wife and daughter hostage...

Puchi!

That brief moment of hesitation became the window of opportunity for Ryan.

With all his might concentrated on the sacred lance, Ryan finally pierced through Archer's heart!

Cough! Cough!

Archer coughed the clogged blood inside his throat as he then saw Rin was released by that shadowy figure.

"You won..."

Archer's figure leaned weakly on Ryan. His heart had been destroyed, thoroughly burned by the sacred lance. His other dragon hearts were also incinerated at same time.

"...no. Although it's frustrating to admit, but I didn't win this battle. It's you who lost to your own memory, Archer. If I were stronger, I wouldn't even need to use these underhanded methods to win." 

Ryan replied coldly. Yet, there was also sign of frustration and annoyance apparent within his eyes.

Archer laughed. His body gradually became translucent, he was slowly disintegrating into azure light.

"A lost is a lost. No matter how much excuses one gives, that is the irrefutable fact. I may have lost this battle, but my objectives have also been achieved..."

A bad feeling appeared inside Ryan's heart the moment Archer said that.

""Get away from him, Ryan!"" 

Yu Miaoyi's and Artoria's urgent voice sounded directly inside his mind at that exact moment. 

Ryan quickly pushed Archer away as he tried to leap back. Yet, despite his intuition had caught up on the possible danger, Archer was even faster.

A golden goblet was suddenly shoved deep into Ryan's body!

Ughh!!

An explosion seemed to happen inside his body as all magic circuits within him was activated. His vision turned dark, and his last bit of consciousness was about to disappear.

Before Ryan went unconscious, he felt like he was supported by a pair of slender hands as he was falling. 

"–––!!!"

At same time, he also seemed to hear Archer's voice echoed directly into his mind.

"...when we meet again, it will be at different space and time, Ryan..."

. . .

When Ryan opened his eyes again, he had unknowingly arrived at a strange place at distant starry sky.

Fragment of stars. Broken planets. Countless ruins of many, different civilizations.

Those things littered all over the place as though they were mere common cabbages.

Unbeknownst to Ryan, a black-robed man had noiselessly arrived in front of him. That man was holding a colorful blob of light which squirmed slightly on his hand.

"I believe this is the first time we can meet properly, Ryan."

His voice startled Ryan who was quite absentminded as he watched the surrounding area.

For Ryan to not notice there was someone else in his vicinity spoke volume of the strength of opposite party.

But, the moment Ryan laid his sight on that figure, he instantly understood who he was.

'Archer...' 

That man was his own future counterpart from another worldline.

"Where is this?"

"Ah. This is at the End of Time. At the remains from the world I have destroyed."

Despite Archer spoke about it in a light tone, Ryan felt deep chills spreading through his marrow when he heard it.

"You must be wondering why or how I could summon you here, but well, I don't have much time to explain them all here.

"Follow me. I will tell you along the way." 

Archer smiled as he then led Ryan to another place. The pieces of stars and broken planets on their surrounding slowly gathered under their feet, forming a mysterious bridge for Archer and Ryan to walk on.

As they walked through the bridge of starry sky, Ryan finally realized that his 'body' was translucent, he had no real body to speak of.

"Spiritual body?"

"Correct. I could only summon your soul to this place with the use of Fuyuki Holy Grail. My true body is located at far distance future, so I can only use this way to meet you.

"I made a deal with Alaya for this day. In exchange for me allowing my incarnation to be Counter Guardian, doing Alaya's dirty jobs, my incarnation would be allowed access to various worldlines under her watch. 'He' has scoured many worldlines, to seek out our younger self who is qualified to enter this place.

"At the end of day, after waiting for all these years, only you who manage to reach this place."

Archer looked at Ryan profoundly.

"...why?" Ryan was wondering about the blob of light held by Archer, but he suppressed his curiosity for it at this moment.

Why would Archer even need to meet him?

"...I want to revive my wife and daughter. To do that, I'd need your 'assistance'." 

Revive? No, that's impossible! This World wouldn't allow such transgression!

Besides, if you want to meet Rin again, couldn't you just go to another–?

"You, too, should know that even if they look the same, they're essentially different person altogether."

Archer's eyes were deep like black abyss as if he already saw through what was going on Ryan's mind at that moment.

"Besides, this World can't allow such a convenient thing to happen, what I need is a true 'miracle'."

Ryan's heart pounding violently. He understood the implication behind Archer's word.

A miracle? Wouldn't it mean... a True Magic?! But to truly revive a dead person, there is no existing True Magic with such...

"Therefore, I just have to create it."

The unshakeable determination in Archer's spirit was like a hammer on Ryan's mind.

Lunatic! It's a crazy (?) ambition, but it's also interesting!

"We have arrived."

When Archer said so, Ryan then saw they had unknowingly arrived in front of another strange place.

There was nothing in his sight. Literally nothing. That place had neither form nor substance; no matters, be it organic or inorganic, existed at that place. 

Yet, there were actually five different gates placed in its surrounding, as if that place had five different entrances to it.

Among those five gates; two had their luster gone, one had barely kept its luster, while the other two were shining brightly like a lantern in the dark.

"Just... What is this place...?"

Ryan felt like there had to be something there, but he also sensed that there was nothing there. Its extreme contradictory aspects caused Ryan to be disoriented.

He felt like he was staring at the abyss, and that abyss also stared at him in return, trying to pull his soul into its depth.

Archer held Ryan's shoulder as he was about to be pulled into that place. 

"Your vision can't perceive it at your current stage. It is the [Swirls of the Root]. The very place any magi wish to peek at into. 

"Even if you do manage to 'see' it, what is in your sight would be different from what other people see. Each person has their own understanding of the [Root]."

"?!!" Ryan had no right words to describe his feelings at that time. If anything, what he felt was a complicated emotion. 

He kept himself quiet as he looked at the [Root]. 

After a while, a young girl with doll-like appearance had come to their side, she was calling out to Archer, "Uncle, let's play with me!"

She was sitting on the shoulder of a ten-headed giant dragon as she approached Archer and Ryan. 

Although that little girl looked quite interested to him and on good terms with Archer, the ten-headed dragon appeared fearful and wary when it looked at Archer.

"Shoo~ shoo~ go away first, Manaka. I am doing a proper business here."

Archer waved his hand, telling her to not disturb him for a while.

"Che! Even you also would not play with me… and that aunt with scary eyes also goes away as she likes, she too can't play with me… Ahh! Annoying! Come, let's go, we will just watch the excitement in other worlds, little Sixth!

"…uncle Seventh has already found his wish, but where is my prince charming…? Why does he take so long to reach me?? Should I guide him here to play around for a while, little Sixth? But it's also no fun if I directly invite him here…"

That little girl came and went randomly as she wanted. She had gone as fast as she appeared.

"Manaka Sajyou?"

"Yup. That crazy little doll. She is quite cute actually."

Cute? She is? You seem to have some misinterpretations on the meaning of cuteness, Archer…

Ryan thought silently.

"How do you want to realize that miracle?" Ryan suddenly asked.

"…do you know how I manage to reach my current power?"

"…" 

"I sacrificed the Goddess' Divinity to forcefully raise my Dragon King Arcane Art to the ninth stage. And this time, I will sacrifice her Divinity to this World, to the [Root]…"

Wait. If you already lost yours, then the one you'd be sacrificing would be…?!

"Bastard! You want to sacrifice the Divinity inside me?" Ryan frowned. Though he felt it was strange that he actually didn't oppose the idea as much as he had thought. 

"Bingo! But, there is no prize for you." Archer held the colorful blob of light on his hand toward the [Root] as he spoke to Ryan, 

"In fact, if 'she' only needed to heal our broken soul back then, she would not need to use this much Divinity on us. Heck! I even suspect that she could heal us easily without even using any of her Divinity. She was probably fooling around at that time… 

"In the end, as a result of her Divinity mixing with us, our soul experienced a rare mutation. The System Panel inside us is the effect of that mutation.

"…" Ryan was silent. He knew Archer still had a lot to say to him.

"I know this may sounds like cheap excuses. After all, I did take her Divinity from yourself. However, know this fact; her Divinity isn't really a good thing to keep. 

"I was betrayed and hunted because I possess the 'gate' and this Divinity inside me. Even after I sacrificed it to reach my current strength, my strength is capped at this stage. That sacrifice also cut off my future path…" 

"However, you still took it away from me. No matter how bad you paint it to be, you still need it, Archer." Ryan was staring coldly as he stated the truth. 

"…you are right. That is why, in exchange for her Divinity, I also prepared something else to give you." 

Archer was silent for a while before he nodded toward Ryan. 

"I am sorry, but our time is nigh. You will know what kind of gifts I have prepared for you at the end. For now, let me borrow your body for a bit, Ryan…" 

Archer had suddenly stabbed his left hand into Ryan's soul as he finished speaking.  

"..?" Contrary to what he expected, Ryan did not feel any pain nor discomfort from Archer's sudden act.  

"I will allow you to 'see' the birth of the miracle. Sacrifice!" 

That moment when Archer said so, he burned the colorful blob of light on his hand and pushed it toward the [Root]. 

All of sudden, myriad of colors lighted up at same time. It was like the scene of creation of the world, and also like the scene of the world being destroyed. 

Archer's right hand became bigger as it swept past those five gates. 

Although there seemed to be nothing changed on them after Archer's hand returned, Archer had actually grabbed some incomprehensible symbols from those gates.  

At same time, inside the underground cavern, Ryan had suddenly woken up from his slumber. His eyes shone brightly with multicolored light, piercing through the sky to reach a distant place. 

"Ryan…?" 

Under the surprised gaze of Yu Miaoyi and Artoria, Ryan's voice sounded both ethereal and dignified as he was floating to the air. 

Ryan appeared to speak in cryptic language before he roared loudly to the sky, as if declaring his authority to the World,   

"Divinity of Higher God as sacrifice, 

Five Forbidden Miracles as the cornerstone, 

The Origin of Truths as the witness, 

With this noble soul as the anchor, I announce; 

Let the path of Reincarnation be established! 

Let it be guide for the deceased. 

Let it be light for the lost. 

Let it be sanctuary for the weary.   

"This is my eternal wish… Six-Paths of Samsara!" 

At the moment when Ryan finished his last prayer, the world trembled. 

However, there was no apparent change to the earth nor the sky. 

What was trembling was actually their very soul as the most basic foundation of the World had been changed forcefully. 

A giant circle with six different aspects inside it had gradually blossomed behind Ryan in all its glory. 

Then, that giant circle slowly rotated. Its speed was slow at first, but it gradually became so fast until it broke through the space-time around it. 

Following its rotation, a transparent soul gradually emerged at its innermost center. 

Soon after, that transparent soul became clear and solid. She looked almost the same with Rin Tohsaka, albeit looking more mature than the current Rin Tohsaka. 

It did not take long before another soul also appeared beside her. This second soul was smaller, and her appearance actually bore many similarities with Rin Tohsaka and Ryan. 

As the giant circle kept spinning, a flesh vessel gradually grew on these two souls, becoming a perfect body for each of them. 

Soon after, both the woman and the little baby on her arm opened their eyes at same time. 'Rin' quickly caught the sight of 'Ryan' in front of her, while the little baby looked around in her curiosity. 

At this stage, the giant circle behind 'Ryan' had dissipated into fragments of light. 

A translucent figure seemed to have come out of Ryan. He walked toward his wife and daughter as he held her hand tightly. The little baby smiled happily when that man's hand caressed her small cheek. 

"…You have suffered, Ryan." 

'Rin' touched his face gently. Despite her hand actually passed through his figure, to her, she seemed to be able to feel his familiar face just like in the past. 

"…I'm sorry. It took me this long to find the two of you again…" 

"All's well that ends well. Aren't we together right now, right?" 

"…yeah, you are right. Then, shall we go back?" 

"En. Let's return. But, aren't you forgetting something else here?" 

'Rin' seemed to have a mischievous light within her eyes as she looked toward Rin Tohsaka who had been awake for some time already. 

'Ryan' was surprised seeing her start having another strange idea again after only few seconds being resurrected. He shook his head helplessly as he went toward Rin of this timeline. 

"…Archer?" Rin hesitated. She looked like she had an inkling of what he wanted to do. 

'Ryan' pat her head softly as he said, "Sorry for breaking our contract abruptly back then, Rin. Thank you for all these times, for enduring a shameless man like me as your Servant. Yet, I still have another selfish, shameless request to ask of you. 

"Would you… follow me back to my place, Rin?" 

Few seconds later, a blinding light pierced the sky and earth, engulfing the four of them before they disappeared along with that mysterious light. 

At some distance away from that world-piercing light, 

Ryan, Artoria and Yu Miaoyi were watching that picturesque scene silently as they each had mixed feeling about it. 

"They are really gone…" Ryan smiled. He felt somewhat gratified and relieved when he saw 'Rin' and her daughter were revived. 

Even if it was something happened to his other self, he could feel how much Archer had endured to wait until this moment, wishing for another chance to meet them again after their departure… 

If anything, he would probably do the same if that ever happened to him. No, if anything, he would definitely do the same thing Archer did.  

"With this, the Grail War finally ended…" Artoria smiled softly. 

"Ah! I just want to take a long rest after this! Letting me read my books alone without some disturbance would be appreciated." Yu Miaoyi glanced at Ryan and Artoria when she said that. 

"You girls… I still have something else to do, you know. After that, well, taking a rest or two would not be wrong." 

'So, I am now the Sixth Magician?' Ryan thought quietly as he gazed at the distant stars. 

If this is one of the gifts he mentioned, this is quite interesting indeed... 

. . . 

Alternative Title: 

"Birth of the Sixth Magician"; "Resurrection!"; "All's Well that Ends Well" 

18