Ch. 38 The Ring and The Sacred Lance
309 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The decline of Mystery was inevitable. 

There were already several reasons of its eventual decline from the world; 

The disappearance of True Ether – the breath of the planet, the energy which became the source of life, and also the catalyst of miracle from the Age of Gods. 

Separation of gods and human, and thus began the Age of Man.

Eventually, even Common Sense of Mystic which previously dictated the world had gradually lost their place as the Age of Man progressed further. It was replaced by Common Sense of Man which promoted the advancement of science. 

At that declining period, many Gods and Mystical beings retreated to Reverse Side of the World, to the pure realm left untouched by Age of Man. 

Even as they retreated, many creatures who could not adapt to the declining of Mystery were reduced to dust, dying as they returned to the planet's soil. Even the Gods were also affected as they were demoted several ranks lower as they became a Divine Spirit.

This situation deteriorated even further after the death of King of Magecraft – the man who granted ordinary human the chance to employ magecraft. He whose wisdom was acknowledged by God, and was thus granted His gift.

As before his time, magecraft was a privilege which could only be performed by those related to the Gods and other Mystic beings. Yet, even such a man eventually met his end at some point, causing the world of magecraft to lose their brightest light and firmest anchor.

In attempt for the world of magecraft to retain their existence in the prevalence of science, the remaining magi decided that the existence of magecraft should be hidden from majority of society. As the result, magecraft became a secret known only to necessary minimum number of people. Because the more things that could be done through science, the less Mystery would exist on the world.

Far... Far in the future, there would definitely be a time when magecraft finally disappear from the world. Their Mystery would be realized by science, leaving only six impossibilities for human to surmount as their final task.

"However, before that happens, we will strive to keep it going for as long as possible. Therefore, what you did was too rash, young man.

"Despite our differences, we'd still unite our force against external threats. Especially one which can shake the foundation of our existence." 

There was only two people currently staying within a certain Lord's office.

A white-haired middle-aged man with pale gold eyes who looked sternly at his guest.

And a young man who sat casually on the sofa inside the office. That young man was eating the fruit pickles on the table as he calmly listened to the man across him.

It was probably around few minutes ago. 

At that time, Marisbury was attending some matters in his office when Ryan suddenly appeared within his vicinity. Taking precaution into account, Marisbury activated the protection spell within his office in attempt to warn Ryan and tried his bottom line. Though they were all nullified when they got within certain radius around Ryan.

And now, Ryan was treating his office like it was his own place...

"Oh, that so? But I don't think I have done anything wrong though?

"But enough talk about that, I am only here to get the ring you've prepared to summon 'him'. Would you give it voluntarily, or should I use force? Just so you know, I personally want to try your magecraft, Marisbury Animusphere." 

Ryan looked slightly excited at the thought of fighting Marisbury in the battle of magecraft. 

He knew that Marisbury Animusphere was a talented and terrifying magi. 

Marisbury's student, Kirschtaria Wodime, already showed off his talent combined with the Animusphere magecraft on the Atlantic lostbelt as he fought off the Alien God albeit for a brief moment. 

Although Ryan himself only saw the trailer PV for Lostbelt, but those who already passed that stage in the game all said that the Sirius spell devised by Marisbury was truly beautiful like a work of art while also possessed overwhelming might. 

If even his student could show such remarkable might, how could the teacher not have more arsenals in his sleeve? 

If anything, Ryan had yet to see Marisbury taking action personally, so he was honestly curious to see it.

Marisbury looked at Ryan deeply. He felt a headache coming as he looked at the rising battle intent inside Ryan's gaze. He was not fond of meaningless act.

Moreover... 

'Does he really think no one would know? The Lords, especially, are not that easy to fool...'

Some time ago, an anonymous person suddenly submitted their research to the Mage's Association. 

That magic research was [Electric-Mana Conversion Formulae]. And just like its name suggested, it was a spell used to convert electricity into pure mana. Nonetheless, it was dismissed in the early reception as most people thought that was merely an amateur's research. 

Although Marisbury had seen his fair share of using electricity to fuel some magic spells, but to convert them into pure mana usable by other spells is not realistic. Yet, when he looked more into that spell out of curiosity, he was quick to notice its peculiarity. 

That spell, rather than converting electricity charge into mana, converted another thing entirely. What the spell converted was the scientific concept of electricity into the mystic concept of mana (ether). As a result, the line of two polar opposite Foundation was blurred, causing the two paths to be 'slightly' chaotic.

'It is a phenomenon conversion. Something those of Atlas Institute would love to research into. Yet, why'd I still feel there is more to that spell...?' 

That paper was published by an anonymous person to the Clock Tower. But to the Lords, they had no lack of means to trace its source. After they traced it to the first person who submitted that paper, they realized that it came from the Einzbern family. 

They took not much effort to relate it to the court incident which involved the Einzbern..., and Emiya Ryan. 

Although the Lords of Clock Tower were still unsure about the legitimacy of Sixth Magic, they all agreed that it was better to treat Ryan with extreme caution rather than being in direct opposition against him. 

"Here. Take it."

It was quite regretful to give up such precious artifact. But if it could avert a disaster coming his way, that might not be so bad. Besides, if what he knew about Ryan's personality was true, he might get something else in return. Moreover… 

'Regardless of his intention by spreading that spell, it doesn't matter. With that spell, the lacking energy to run Chaldeas and Sheba can be bridged by enough electricity from power plant. The only problem left would be how to make the power plant generate enough electricity...'   

"Ah." Ryan looked slightly surprised when he caught the ring. He didn't expect for Marisbury to give it up so easily. "This is not a fake, right?"

"I have my own pride, young man. That's what I was going to use to summon 'him'. I don't have the time nor energy to accept your challenge, so that's that." Marisbury spoke calmly when he saw Ryan's skeptical look.

…it doesn't feel right to get this without some fights. Well, whatever, I don't have to expend my energy at all.

"You're quite bold and straightforward, I admit that. Is this one of your charms to get so many people to follow your steps? The Crypters and those Chaldea magus, especially." 

Marisbury smiled lightly, he glanced at Ryan as he asked, "Hoh. Then, do you want to join my Chaldea Organization?" 

"Nah, I'll pass on that. I don't like to be bound to particular organization." 

"I see, that's a pity." Marisbury was not surprised at Ryan's reply. 

"Still, despite how good you are at pioneering something, you don't have the fate to keep watch over them, Marisbury. But, you do have a good daughter. She is more humane than you." Ryan smiled lightly as he reached the door. 

Marisbury was slightly stunned when Ryan suddenly talked about that topic, so he did not quite realize that Ryan was already about to leave his office. "Wait! What do you mean by that?" 

Is he talking about the events of another worldline?

Ryan had already disappeared when Marisbury looked at the door again. Though, his voice could still be heard lingering on the room for the last time, "Just consider it a rambling from an observer. Your legacy on that world still stands strong despite facing multiple challenges. You can be proud of that fact. 

"If there is a chance, for the sake of this ring you gave up on, I will show you the miracle you've built in that world..." 

Soon after, only silence left within the office after Ryan disappeared. Marisbury returned to his seat as he looked thoughtful, pondering over Ryan's words.

"Ah. I should have asked first about the domain of his Magic..." 

Though, compared to the chance to see the realization of his wish with his own eyes, the information about Sixth Magic was not that important to him. Besides, it didn't seem like he would not get another chance to ask about it to Ryan.

'…concluding from his words, it seems like I should have died in that other world.'

Marisbury smiled, he felt quite amused and calm despite knowing his eventual death on another worldline. 

After all, if his wish has been realized and preserved even after his death, what's more could he asks for? 

"But still, my daughter being more humane than me? As expected, she is not fit to be a magi. Although, that may work in favor to some people, especially someone like him." 

An interesting expression appeared on Marisbury's face as he thought of pairing them together. After all, to magi, it was not strange to marry off one's daughter or son for building relation or to improve their magic crest and bloodline. 

"If only she was slightly older…" 

. . .

At same time, at another place in London. 

When his doppelganger met Marisbury Animusphere, Ryan himself was meeting with Lord El-Melloi II and Gray at a family restaurant. 

Illyasviel had separated from Ryan as she wanted to deal with the matter about power plant. She was accompanied by the two homunculus maids; Leysritt and Sella. 

Meanwhile, Artoria and Yu Miaoyi were seated at another table. They seemed to argue about something while they were having lunch. 

With a little trick, it wasn't too hard for Ryan to make it so that other customers wouldn't notice anything strange going on in the restaurant. 

"What's wrong?" Waver Velvet, or Lord El-Melloi II as of his title now, frowned at Ryan when he saw him smiling strangely.

Ryan saw that Lord El-Melloi II and Gray were looking at him with some wariness, so he laughed lightly to calm them. "Nah, it's nothing. Please continue, Lord El-Melloi…II."

"Krk." Lord El-Melloi II gritted his teeth in annoyance.

When he saw the smirk on Ryan's face, he could not help remembering Emiya Kiritsugu; the killer of his mentor, and also Ryan's foster father. 

Even so, despite his own opinion, Lord El-Melloi II could still distinguish the importance of their matter now. This time, he was meeting Ryan in an attempt of asking him to help Gray out of her predicament.

"…let's be real. What do you want in return for removing her curse?" Lord El-Melloi II looked straight into Ryan's eyes. He wouldn't believe one bit that Ryan would help them without something in return. It was the usual principle in magecraft world to pay something of equal value if they wanted something from another party.

Of course, that general rule only applied to those who held similar status or power. After all, when one party realized that they held large advantage over the other party, it was not unusual for the balance of their relation to be tilted.

Though, in this case, Ryan literally held the reign on how the talk would go. It would be better if he could conclude this agreement without suffering much losses, but as long as Ryan's demand was not too overboard, Lord El-Melloi II would not think much before agreeing to it.

He already bore many debts after agreeing to shoulder part of the Archibald family's debts. It made no difference whether he got another debt from this deal with Ryan… 

"First of all, let me ask her. Gray, are you really willing to remove your curse? You may not be able to use that spear again, if you choose to remove it." Ryan asked sternly as his face became serious. 

"I am…not really sure…" 

On one side, she did not want to be the vessel for King of Knight's resurrection. It pained her how the villagers had changed after they realized that she was prime candidate to be the vessel. Their praise and worship were overwhelming her, for she knew that all their reverence was not directed at herself, but to her eventual future as vessel of the King of Knight. 

Who they praised and hoped for was another person who would eventually replace her existence.

Although she didn't believe that Artoria would actually agree to the villagers' wish, but there was no telling how they might react if they knew that she was alive... 

On another side, she also needed that power. Although it was borrowed, but she could help to her mentor if she had that power. 

Ryan was silent as he looked at Gray. Her expression changed few times within this short period of time as she still felt conflicted about the choices of removing her curse or keeping it for as long as she could.

"Looks like you still have some doubts… but since you have come here, I won't let you be confused. I shall help you choose." Ryan spoke calmly as he raised his hand toward Gray's Mystic Code.

"Ah? Wait…!" Gray became slightly panicked when she was feeling her connection with her Mystic Code became weaker.

Lord El-Melloi II was also surprised seeing Ryan's sudden action. But when he sensed that Ryan held no ill will toward his student, he gave up on interfering.

From Ryan's hand, several invisible fine threads of light appeared to surround the small blue box which was Gray's Mystic Code. Another set of threads of light also went toward Gray as they reached out to her soul.

"Hey! Hey! Stop that, it's tickling me!" 

Gray's Mystic Code, Add, pleaded pitifully as it was bordering between wanting to laugh and feeling angry when it felt those threads of light wormed their way into its innermost essence.

"AHaHha…! Oh, fuck! Stop! AHahaha! Please, stop! I can't hold it anymore..! MwahaAHAHha! Shit...@#$S4S&*(%!"

Add's deranged laugh could be heard loudly in these few minutes as Ryan calmly held it in his hand. 

When the threads of light gradually enveloped the Mystic Code, its laughter grew exponentially and it became more hysterical. 

It took half a minute before Add suddenly ceased activity. It was completely encased within those threads of light.

Though, few seconds later, those threads of light rapidly dissolved into motes of light as they returned to Ryan and were absorbed into him. 

After that act, Gray's Mystic Code looked no different from before beside that it had become strangely quiet.

"It's done. I have removed her curse. You don't have to worry about it anymore." Ryan smiled lightly when he looked at both Lord El-Melloi II and Gray.

"Eh, that fast? Um…thank you." Gray lowered her face shyly as she thanked Ryan. She didn't feel like anything change from her body, but she also felt like a burden had been lifted from her heart. 

Although, she also felt somewhat empty after Ryan removed her curse.

At same time, both Ryan and Lord El-Melloi II could see that Gray's face and figure had slowly changed. Or, more appropriately, Gray was slowly reverting to her own face and figure to the time before she became Artoria's vessel. 

She might not be as beautiful as Artoria, but Gray's real figure also had her own charm. At this time, Gray looked just like an honest and kind village girl who still kept her innocence even if she knew harsh truth of the world. 

In a way, Gray's spirit was just as beautiful as Artoria's. 

"You don't have to thank me. In exchange for removing your curse, I also took Rhongomnyiad from your Mystic Code."

"Uh, but that is…" Gray looked slightly sad. 

If Rhongomnyiad is taken away, would I still able to help my mentor? 

That was probably what went through her mind now as she looked at her Mystic Code. 

Lord El-Melloi II had already predicted such outcome as one of possible results after he resolved himself to come to Ryan. That's why he was mentally prepared for it. 

But, Gray had no awareness of it yet. Therefore, as her mentor, he wouldn't allow Gray to keep limiting herself.

Lord El-Melloi II looked at his student as he frowned, "You don't have to make such face. You are already a great help to me, Gray. It is indeed a pity to lose the Sacred Lance, but do you think your ability only depends on it?

"Since you can't rely on the Sacred Lance anymore, you should improve on your magecraft. The Gravekeeper Secrets still hold many things for you to learn, Gray. Unlike me, you have the talent. It'd take no time before you surpass me like my other students.  

"But, damn... I was supposed to encourage you, and here I'm reminded of my own lack of talent. Shit! You better surpass me good, Gray. If not, heh... You'd wish not to look forward to it!" 

Gray was quiet like an obedient student as she listened to her mentor's advice. Despite his harsh words at the end, her mentor was also one of the people who appreciated her for who she was. 

Her conscious Mystic Code, Add, was also one of her close friends. It was a pity that Add was gone...

"Mwahahaha! That's the spirit, young man. Tell her your true feeling! Let her know what love is!" An incessant laugh suddenly came from beside Gray as a familiar voice brought her attention away from what it had just said.

"You're still awake, Add?" Gray looked surprised at that small blue box.

"Well duh, no surprise. That frightening man only took the sacred lance, so I am still well and fine. Though I probably should have played dead for a time longer. It was fun to see you're looking like a normal girl for a change, little Gray. Hahaha! Ouch, stop it! Don't shake me, Gray!" 

Gray shook the cage with some force while feeling embarrassed after hearing what Add said about her. 

Ryan smiled. He already had his fill of seeing Gray and her cute interaction with Add. After nodding toward Lord El-Melloi II, Ryan got up from his seat. 

"Well, that's that. I have finished my business here, let's meet again if fate allows it, Lord El-Melloi II, miss Gray. 

"If you still want to look for Doctor Heartless, you can probably find him and that Faker Servant in the spirit tomb of Albion. He intends to turn Iskandar into a Divine Spirit and summon him to this plane. It's up to you whether you want to foil his plan or not." 

When he heard Ryan told him about Doctor Heartless and his plan about Divine Spirit Iskandar, Lord El-Melloi II couldn't help feeling stunned. 

That information came so suddenly when he didn't expect it in the least. He felt like Ryan was lying to him, but his guts told him otherwise. Even so, if Ryan was speaking the truth, then... 

"How could you know about it?! Hey, wait. Dammit, kid these days!" 

Ryan was already walking away when Lord El-Melloi II came to his senses. 

Artoria and Yu had soundlessly arrived beside Ryan without prior's notice. The three of them seemed to walk slowly, but it only took few seconds before Lord El-Melloi II couldn't even see their shadow.

12