Chapter 21: Sneakman
626 2 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New day, new start. We're currently in the inn since it was late when we exited the slums. The slums are surprisingly large. Right now, we're preparing to meet with the high priest. How? We'll blitz the church, break into the quarters, and forcefully look into his eyes. Mel says it's alright to do this since he's probably evil anyways. Something about the Church usually being evil. The plan is to have Speedy run us straight through the church, then as soon as she stops, Mel and I will incapacitate anyone who isn't the priest. This should go well, as long as there isn't some sort of way the priest could know of this plan.

"Why did you say that Madeleine?"

"Say what?"

"Now the priest is going to know we're coming."

"How?"

"You said 'as long as there isn't some sort of way the priest could know of this plan' and so now he does."

"How does that work?"

"It just does, okay. Trust me, I've lived long enough to realise most things. Still haven't figured out some things, though. Now, leave the questions to me. It feels weird when you do them. Say something weird right now."

"Uh… Speedy has a nice body."

"Where are you looking?!" Speedy immediately covered her body with her arms, despite being fully clothed. "Just stare at Mel, not me!"

"You know… she does have a nice body. Good point, Madeleine."

"Weren't you going to retort her?!"

"I can't retort the truth."

"I'm going to wait in the tavern downstairs!" And out went Speedy.

"So what now?"

"I'm thinking about a new plan."

"I wasn't asking about the plan. I was asking about what we do right now."

"Nothing."

"Really, nothing?"

"Look, I think you're cute, but I doubt we'll ever be together due to my perspective on things." 

"What? Why?"

"Maybe I'll explain it someday…" I then heard her mutter under her breath, "Especially with how things are going..."

"You know, you say the weirdest shit every now and then, Mel."

"I know. I would explain… actually, I wouldn't. Now, I've figured out a new plan."

"Ooh, what is it? Does it involve explosions?"

"We have no way of causing explosions."

"Pfft… I know some magic."

"Correction: We have no way of causing explosions I trust."

"Understandable. So, does it involve explosions?"

"No. We're doing the exact opposite of sneaking. We'll break into his house at night!"

"Isn't that what Merida suggested?"

"I'm going to be honest, I don't actually listen to what Merida says half the time."

"Why not?"

"There's a dancing rat on her table."

"Wait, really? How come I haven't seen it?"

"You're too focused on the cat or the soup."

"True. So how are we sneaking in?"

"I'll just clap my hands, then we'll be there."

"How does that work?"

"It won't, but it will. Trust me." And so she clapped her hands.

 

"Speedy, thanks for being with us."

"I don't want your thanks. I want to go home."

Currently, we're outside the high priest's house. How did we find out where he lived? We followed him home. For an important person, he has a surprising lack of bodyguards. Then again, every important person I've known didn't have bodyguards. The duchess didn't even have servants. Wonder what she's up to now.

"She's currently on a warpath. The Hula Island and Sacre Pla Nation have fallen, and I hear she's aiming for Unterwald next. The battlefield is really bloody."

"How do you know that, Speedy?"

"I run past it all the time."

"Super speed sure is useful. I'd like it." I could go buy my favourite bread all the way back in Hamblin and maybe even visit the folks within the Chaos Storm.

"I'm not running that far. Even that'll take a while for me."

"Disappointing."

"Can you two shut up? I'm trying to do a stakeout here."

"Aye aye, captain!"

"Whatever."

Mel is looking through the priest's window with a pair of binoculars, waiting for him to turn off the magic lights. Turned off lights mean he's sleeping, which is the prime time to attack. At least according to Mel. Speaking of Mel, she's got this whole thief looking cloak on her, completely masking her body and face. All I see are her beautiful eyes.

"Stop staring at me. Stare at the target instead."

"I can't see through the dark."

"You're only looking at some li- it's off!" She put away the binoculars, then started slowly walking towards the door of his house whilst crouched. Once she reached the door, she signalled for us to come over. Speedy zipped over there while I just casually walked.

Mel facepalmed. "We're supposed to be sneaky."

"If I go at super speed, no one will see me."

"No one's around, Mel. No need to worry."

"We're going to get caught."

"Indeed, you are." We turned to see who said that. It was the priest who had opened the door. Aww… his nightwear is cute. It has little bunnies on them. "What are you three doing at my door?"

"Uh… nothing." Mel further pulled her cloak forward.

"I have no idea who these two are." Speedy started to walk away.

"We came to break into your house, sir!" I truthfully told the truth, for the truth is the truth.

"What the fuck Madeleine?!" Mel has grabbed my collar and is shaking me.

"I really don't know who these two are!" And off went Speedy.

"The truth is the truth!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

"Would… you two like to come in for a moment? I wish to learn more about your situation if that is alright with you two. I'd invite your friend, but she seems to have run away."

"Eh?" Mel stopped shaking me.

"Sure. Can I make tea?"

"I will gladly take that offer. I hear maids are trained in the art of tea."

"I'll make the best tea you'll ever have!" And in I went, dragging in Mel with me, who was frozen in shock.

 

So it turns out the high priest is just a good guy. He thought since we were trying to rob him, a high up member of the Church, we either were desperate for money or thought we had the wrong idea of the Church. Mel went on a tirade about the Church, and surprisingly he said that what she said was right. This shocked Mel, but so did his apologies and his promise he would be fixing the problems. In fact, he's been trying to combat the problems. He also complimented my tea. What a swell guy.

I explained that I wanted to look into his eyes to find out his Sacred Power, and he let me. Really, what a swell guy! Here's the results:

Heaven's Symphony

You can hear the voices of those in Heaven.

Side Note: I named this after a mashup I listened to on Youtube. I like it.

This really explains why he's part of the Church. One way ticket to hearing God's voice. I have no idea what the Side Note is about, though. I tried asking Mel, but she was too busy looking at the current state of Merida's mansion. It's currently on fire, with burning tentacles bursting out of every window, and demon corpses littered all over the outside fields. Merry is stuck on a branch on a nearby tree, and Merida is lying face flat in front of us. Wonder how that happened.


Character profile: Quentin Que Quade

Sacred power: Heaven's Symphony

Current enemies in the Church: Archbishop Quollo's faction.

Description: The high priest for the Garwet Kingdom's churches is well-known for his kindness that he shares with all of those in his community. He is often found either teaching about good moral values to whoever comes to his Church or at the orphanage, a place he consistently donates to. He is well-liked by many people in Liscus, but members of the Church who wish to utilise its influence for power wish to take his position. He knew about the trio's breaking-in attempt due to his Sacred Power. The Angels favour him.

Chapter namesake: Sneakman by Hideki Naganuma for Jet Set Radio

39