Chapter 51: Livin’ On A Prayer
415 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Do you have any sevens?"

"Go fish."

I picked up a card. "Hey, Myka."

"What?"

"How do you see the cards? Aren't you blindfolded?"

"Umm… well, would you look at that? There's a person at the door. You should get it."

"We're in my room, how do yo-'' Suddenly, Speedy ran into my room.

"Hey, Maddy, there's someone at the door, and Master told me to tell you that you specifically have to open it. She says you'll recognise one of them."

I looked at Myka, who just showed me a shrug. I should interrogate her about her supposed blindness, but that's for another day. Time to answer the door! I got up and walked towards the door. This mansion, which was borrowed from the Insane Hero, sure is dull. Just a bunch of empty rooms. Turns out giving an adventurer a huge mansion is a bad idea since they will never use it. Unless the adventurer is some kind of hero who collects lovers on his adventure like he's a bandit in Hamblin. Bandits sure love their women. And also their men. Actually, bandits have learnt to love anything, really. If they can be used in some way, it's guaranteed that technique was created by a bandit. Hmm… maybe Speedy has developed some techniques.

Enough of that, however. I have a door to answer. I arrived at the door, and with no delay, I opened it. I came into eye contact with a little boy with a bright smile, who was being lifted up by a cloaked figure behind him. 

Prayer

Your prayers will be heard by a random God each day.

Side Note: We're halfway there.

The little child was then let down, revealing the cloaked figure to have a skeleton face… wait a minute. "Croen! I didn't know you had a kid."

"I don't, lassie. I just be on duty for this lad's power. Which is also why I be here."

"Why are you here?"

"As a Death God, I be riddled with work no mortal could imagine, so I wish for ye and yar pals to babysit this kid for me. He be down on his luck, with no one but his hard work and the Gods on his side. You'll find him easy to manage."

"Umm… give me a second to think."

"I have little time, so hurry up yar pondering."

Okay, the most essential thing about babysitting is making sure the kid isn't in danger, so the first thing to consider is who will be taking care of him…

Thinking...

Thinking...

Oh god, there's no one qualified to do that. Everyone in this household is either insane, apathetic, or Mimi. 

"Just get the dragon lassie to take care of him if ya really want someone to keep an eye on him, although he be competent. Enough to impress even a graduate of the God-forsaken academy you're alumni of."

Oh yeah, May. Great idea, Madeleine, she's the best candidate. I have no idea where she is, but whatever. The second thing is to consider where we're babysitting him, which means the mansion…

Thinking...

Thinking...

Oh god, I have to disable all the death traps, put away all the weaponry and other dangerous items, like the countless poisonous potions Merida's teacher keeps bringing over, I have to dismiss the demon maids and lastly, close off the Dungeon in the basement which has a gate to Hell and also close off the attic, which still has the rats in them. 

"Or ye could just take him out on a day in the town. Also, he be a smart lad. I doubt he'd end up injured by the monstrosities the mansion ya all live in unleashes daily."

The last thing to consider is that I have no idea what I'm thinking about. I've never babysat, although I have done things related to children. Sometimes kidnapping, sometimes rescue missions, always related to slavery, for some reason.

"Hey, uncle Croen, I thought slavery was illegal."

"This lassie comes from Hamblin. That should explain it."

"Yeah, it does. Are you really putting me in the care of these people? By the sounds of it, I'd be better off being alone at home, waiting for ma and pa."

"Ya know how the others be when a God doesn't put you in the care of another."

"I know, but I'm gro-"

"Nuh-uh, me boy. Remember this, lad. The only people who claim to be gro-"

"Cease your life lessons, Reaper. You have an eternal errand to tend to and no time to waste. Be off on your way." Merida had come over and was standing next to me. "As for you, Madeleine, enough with your needless contemplation. Although your assessments are logical, I find them quite insulting. I am very capable of caring for those of youthful disposition."

"Are you saying you'll be taking care of him?"

"I am. If I had known the Death God's inquiry was for childcare, rather than handing yet another checkmark on your entertaining but impossible quest, then I would have answered the door alongside you." She knelt down towards the child. "Hello there, Jovi. I am Merida. However, you most likely know me as the figure of folktale known as the Seer. Today, I shall be caring for you. Worry not, for I have had my fair share of children. As for what our day will entail, we shall play in the town to our heart's desire."

The child was looking at Merida, but as soon as he heard her title of Seer, he went behind Croen, clutching his cloak. "I know due to your curious nature, you find yourself enamoured with stories. Worry not. Many stories exaggerate my personality. The version of me you see within those fictions is merely melded to fit the narrative the author wished to portray. The truth is never truly laced within the words published in the books of this world. I know you love to learn, and I am a teacher greater than even the highest of Gods."

"I could smite ya for heresy."

Merida stood up and grinned at Croen. "But you won't because you can't afford to."

"You know Merida, you're doing a bad job of this whole babysitting thing, considering he still hasn't let go of Croen."

"I have the perfect plan." She snapped her fingers thrice, summoning Myka. "I know your curiosities also lie within other races. I will have this maid personally escort us, and you may touch her ears at any point."

The boy's eyes lit up and ran straight to Myka, who knelt down to let the boy touch her. A minute passed, and soon he found himself in Merida's hands, both walking down the mansion's path towards the town. "We shall be off. Madeleine, I have left a map on my desk. On it marks three Sacred Power holders who can be found nearby."

Myka was about to follow them when she stopped in front of Croen. "Yo, what up fake rea-" Her mouth was zipped, and she was teleported in front of Merida and the kid. Huh… wonder what that was all about.


Character profile: Jovi Alkid

Sacred power: Prayer

Favourite and least favourite God: His favourite is Avit, the Goddess of Life, and his least favourite is Neberist, God of Darkness.

Description: The child beloved by the Gods. Jovi is a happy kid who lives with his mother and father in a small town that just so happens to be near the mansion of the Insane Hero, which is now inhabited by the Sacred Power Dealers (Pending Name). His mother is the cook of a nearby inn who works there as much as possible for even the tiniest of pay. Meanwhile, his father is currently in-between jobs, his former position of woodcutter no longer being available due to the Golemancers newest line of Woodcutter specialised golems. His father is constantly out, trying to find a job, continually leaving Jovi alone at home. Due to Jovi's situation and his Sacred Power, the Gods all collectively decided that should they be chosen by the Sacred Power, they would answer his prayer in person. He uses his Prayer to invite the Gods to play with him. Croen is one of few Gods who prefer to not play with Jovi. Unlike those who do, though, it is because his job is too time-consuming, rather than him disliking Jovi.

Chapter namesake: Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi

19