Chapter 54: Everything I Am
357 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Toxicity Itself. One of the 72 Calamities. If I remember correctly, it's ranked quite highly, considered an equal to disasters like the Chaos Storm At The Edge or the Lake Forsaken By Death. To give perspective, you're more likely to seduce a dragon, kill a Lich, and meet a God in one lifetime than you are to survive one of these High Ranked Calamities. Then again, I survived the Chaos Storm. Does that mean I'll get to seduce a dragon, kill a lich, and meet a God at some point in my life? Hmm… I've met Croen, and I'm sure I could seduce May, so all I need is a Lich.

"Unfortunately, all that lays within this forsaken academy's walls are soulless husks and a beast said to be poison's origin." I looked to my sight to see a noble lady next to me, dressed in the finest of gowns and standing with great poise. 

"Who are you?"

"I am Melody Nobilis, a noble's daughter from lands afar. However, you know me more as the other identity, Melanie Arcus, S-Ranked Adventurer and former member of the Hero Party."

"Eh? Mel? I didn't know you were into roleplay."

"I am not. Have you forgotten about my Sacred Power? If not, let me refresh your memory. Side Character forces changes upon me depending on who or where I am. I most likely stayed as the archer because an adventurer was most convenient for your narrative. However, we're in an interesting situation."

"Interesting how? Actually, I don't care. Can we go to the highest point of the tower right now? Actually, no, we have to go to the Medical Bay… I think."

"And I care not for your growing boredom. Sit down, Madeleine, I will explain, and you will listen."

"Oh, okay." I sat down on the ground and looked at Mel.

"The reason I believe this is an interesting situation is that I have changed identities despite you being here. I cannot change whenever I am with someone who has interacted with me before in some other form. That is why I changed into the Merchant when Rich approached us…" Mel's expression changed as if wondering something. "Why did I not question it further when I changed in front of you? Why have I not changed more whenever it was just us? This ability of mine continues to confuse me."

"It's confusing me too. So why are you a noble lady now? Can you go back to being a ranger? I like her ass."

"Quiet. I need to think." She started pacing to and fro, chin on her hand. I'm bored… might as well look at whatever this place is. It's really grand looking, with three towers, one in the middle and two on each end, really emphasising its size. Comparing it to the Sacre Pla's royal castle, which is the size of your average castle, I'd say this place is twice, no, thrice the size. I'd love to explore it one day.

"Okay, I've figured it out."

"You did?"

"More correctly, I've figured out my thoughts on it."

"So what are they?"

"That I should be like the Archer and not bother analysing it further. Instead of searching for it, she made the right call to stick around with you and hope the answers just happen to fall into our laps. Should they ever be forced to come out, I shall leave such a task to the more observant and diligent identities."

"So we can explore the place now?"

"Why yes. I did attend Luminescence Academy before it became this smouldering mess filled to the brim with demon scum and that blasphemous Lord of Poison. I do not suppose we are here to meet with that scoundrel, are we?"

"Nope. Croen said we'd find our target in the Medical Bay."

"Ah, now I remember. Doctor Strawberry. She was a miracle worker. Her being a Sacred Power holder makes sense."

"Like… the fruit?"

"Yes, her name is indeed the fruit. I hear she came from a family cursed to name their children after fruits."

"That's a very funny curse."

"Indeed it is. Now, let me guide you through the Academy, untouched by time." And so, she guided me through it. By the way, Mel has massive brea- and I was slapped. I deserved that.


"And lastly, our destination. The Medical Bay, the former room of Doctor Strawberry, the best doctor across the land. At least until that bastard Demon Lord attacked." Mel here gave a very solemn tour of the place, telling me what used to be here in the Academy. Let me tell you, it sure has gone to shit ever since that Demon Lord attack. The former garden in the courtyard now houses flowers that spit out poison. The students who once happily walked through the hallways are now zombies that spit out poison. Even the once glistening marble walls are now dirty, cracked, and spit out poison. Everything here spits poison, except ironically, the Lord of Poison himself. He became aware of our presence, but he just let us go upon seeing us. It was my former teacher turned treacherous Demon Lord and causer of the Maid School's cursed year. Lady Mel was shocked but quickly learnt the ways of the archer Mel.

"Do you think she's a zombie that spits out poison right now, a soulless husk, both, or something else right now?"

"I would rather not learn her fate. It pains enough seeing familiar faces. Go on forward alone, and deal with her if you must."

"Whatever you say, captain." I walked past Mel, who turned her back away from the door. I opened it to see an actual human in this hellhole of a place. Granted, this human had chains wrapped around her legs, arms, and waist, and her head was hung down like there was nothing left there. Darn, can't believe she kicked the bucket. I grabbed her head and pulled it up, looking into her eyes. There was just the smallest flick of life left there.

Resurrections

You can resurrect people. You take permanent damage to your soul each time you use this ability.

Side Note: Go climb a mountain.

"Are you here to destroy my secret weapon?" I looked behind me to see the Lord of Poison dragging Mel into the room by her neck. "I will destroy this survivor if you answer incorrectly."

"I just wanted to look into her eyes. Let me tell you, good job on the whole lifelessness look. Really hard to push that onto people."

"Hah! Even after becoming a monster, I still cannot fathom your mind." He threw Mel towards me. "Leave, and never return."

"Aye aye, teach!" And off I went, with Mel on my back. She had turned back into a ranger after we had cleared some distance from the academy, which was when I chose to call Speedy. A princess, a familiar little girl, and a blast from the past. What an eventful day. I wonder if Merida had fun babysitting.


Character description: Strawberry

Sacred power: Resurrections

Resurrections left: 2

Description: The former school doctor of the illustrious Luminescence Academy. Her ability to revive others at the cost of her soul was given to her as a gift, as her selflessness in her current life and the lives she lived before had caught the eye of Avit, the Goddess of Life. Strawberry saw this as a sign that her goal of helping others was acknowledged by the Gods and chose to continue on a path of selflessness. She accepted the offer for the position of School Doctor at Luminescence Academy, seeing it as an opportunity. If she could teach kindness to these future Kings, Queens, Dukes and Duchesses, these future leaders of many countries, surely the world would be a better place. Her last act of selflessness was when she sacrificed herself, telling the Lord of Poison she would be his personal reviver only if he let the few students she managed to rescue go. He agreed and let them go. Notable students she managed to save include Melody Nobilis, Carte Grande, and Rio Verdeux.

Chapter namesake: Everything I Am by Kanye West

16