Chapter 79: Secret Meeting
297 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey there, it's me, the second worst secret keeper in the Seer household. Who's the first? No idea. I just don't want to admit to being the worst. Although, I've never been good at keeping secrets. It probably explains why the Queen never told me anything back when I was a criminal slave in Hamblin. Which reminds me, I need to remove this collar at some point. It also explains why the Demon Empress never invited me to her meetings. Which reminds me, I need to say hi to them at some point. It also also explains why Merida lets me come to her meetings. Which reminds me, I need to snatch away her soup pots.

"Is the maid always like this? She seemed much more… composed when I secretly met her."

"Indeed she is. I believe you just so happened to catch her whilst she was advancing towards her goal, where her competence comes forth."

"Huh… So is that everyone you wanted in this meeting?"

"Why yes, Princess."

Right now, we're having a secret meeting in Merida's office. Why is it a secret? Because in the words of Merida, 'Secrets make things interesting'. So yeah, there we go. The current participants are Merida, Princess Carte, Maxine, Mel, and I. I wonder why this lineup?

"I'd tell you, Madeleine, but I am quite fond of cliffhangers."

"Don't treat this matter as mere entertainment, Seer." Ooh, Maxine sounds mad. I guess this is related to that thing she was searching for. "Hurry this meeting up. I am certain Eliza grows worried."

"Shut it, Max. She can take care of herself, and there's a maid."

"Sorry." Maxine backed down into her seat. By the way, I'm doing the proper maid thing of standing by. I'm standing behind Mel, but I'm still doing a proper maid thing for once.

"It'd be nice if you did proper maid things all the time, Madeleine."

"Maid things are boring, and that's what the clones are for. By the way, what's the meeting for?"

"The climax for Maxine's quest. She was looking for the Seer, hoping she'd have answers for something, and she did. A bunch of expositions happened, and soon we'll see the payoff. Honestly, hearing Maxine's story, that's the foundation of an interesting adventure. Not that it matters to you."

"I'm starting to think you read too much, Mel. Either that or the shadow maids put weird stuff into your sandwiches."

"Probably, probably. So, are you going to listen to their important life story stuff, or just ramble in your inner monologue like usual?"

"Maybe I'll listen."

"You do you, tiger."

We both looked at the trio of Maxine, Princess Carte, and Merida, who were just staring at each other in silence when Maxine spoke up.

"So I take it that you'll accept our request."

"Indeed. I find it incredibly interesting." Merida then suddenly turned to me. "Since you are listening, would you like me to expand on the context or leave you in the dark?"

"Hmm… the second option. I like darkness."

"Very well." She turned back to Maxine and Princess Carte. "I can confirm the presence of both your eldest daughter and your only son within Mendass. As explained before, the two experience different forms of otherworldly travel. Your eldest daughter exists as just a soul… for now. As for your son, he was transmigrated like your youngest daughter. As a bonus, I shall tell you the fate of your cat. He was transmigrated like two of your children, but is currently deceased."

"Cats are assholes." I heard Mel whisper to me. I'd have to agree. The only two cats I've met were both the pinnacles of evil.

"Will you not divulge their locations?"

"The daughter's, yes. As for the son's, I shall send Madeleine here, of course, for an extra payment."

"Extra payment? What is she talking about, Max?"

"I thought Fanny was enough."

"He was, but I'm now curious about yours. Worry not. The third piece of payment will pay itself when the maid goes off to fetch your child. So all I need is yours. Let my maid peer into your eyes once your son is fetched."

"Fine, fine."

"You still haven't explained the payment, Max!"

"Fret not, Princess. It is a price easily paid. All I want is for my maid to look into the eyes of a Sacred Power holder."

"Wait… is that why you wanted to see Fanny?" The princess turned to the sorceress with a raised eyebrow.

"Umm… yeah. What else did you think I wanted to see him for?"

"Oh, thank goodness. I thought you had fallen for him." Princess Carte turned to Mel. "You know, back on Earth, Max had seduced many guys and girls he thought were hot before we dated and eventually married. I do not want to see that again."

"Car!"

"Haha!"

"Hey, Mel."

"What?"

"I probably should've gotten the context, huh."

"Always go for the context."

"I guess."

"Now that everything has been discussed, let us commence onward." Merida took out the Soul Holder and put it on the desk. "This will be needed for you to meet your daughter. As for your son, I will have Madeleine pick up the Fanny payment, then proceed to your son's location." Merida walked over to me, whispering into my ear. "The target is in a room at the castle's peak. You'll know it's the target when you come across a man fond of cheese. The second target will be in a cave outside the capital. The target is the artist. As for their son, just grab the artist's obsession, okay."

"Aye aye, captain. Let's go, Mel!"

"Ah, Melanie will be staying with us, Madeleine."

"Huh… why?"

"Hmm… consider it a cliffhanger."

"Oh no. I always had a fucking feeling. Just go, Madeleine, I'll be fine."

"Umm… okay…" And off I went to the top of the castle.


"I am the electric man. Reward me with cheese!"

"I don't have cheese, but I do have sandwiches on a dagger."

"Oh. Good enough. So what are you here for, maid?"

"Look into your eyes."

"Well, since you know I'm here, the Princess must trust you, so sure."

Lightning Control

You can absorb lightning and act like a battery.

Side Note: Thunder and lightning, very very frightening.

"Well, that's all. Bye-bye, cheese-obsessed rat beastman."

"Goodbye, weird maid of a race I have no idea about."


Character profile: Fanny Shocque

Sacred power: Lightning Rod

Years spent hired under the Royal Family: 5 years

Description: The rat man in the Sacre Pla Royal Castle attic. Fanny lives a nice and peaceful life. He spends his days in the attic of the castle, the residents unaware of his existence, nibbling on the pieces of cheese the princess sneaks into his room, which was gifted to him by the princess herself. Why does the princess let this rat beastman live a life many would envy? For electricity, obviously. Although Princess Carte has a very rudimentary understanding of technology, she at least recognises that it needs electricity. Sooner or later, Max would return to her, and Max knew a lot about technology. Fanny will learn that most free things have to be worked for.

Chapter namesake: Secret Meeting by The National

13