Chapter 83: Joker and The Thief
298 9 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello, it's me, it's me, it's Shadow Madeleine #333. There aren't 333 Shadow Madeleines. It's just that I like the number 3. Unfortunately, #3 won't let me have her number, so I went for the better option; Three threes. I gained sentience when I stared at a triangle. That's really it. Not as weird as Cookie, though. Shadow Clones don't eat, so how did she even eat that cookie? By the way, if you think Shadow Madeleine #333 is a mouthful, feel free to call me… umm… Trisagion? Trigon? Trisha? Hmm… Threebie! That's my name now.

So, what task do I have? Well, I'm searching for my one true love, obviously. I've noticed something; Pretty much all the sentient Madeleines have lovers, barring myself, Physical Madeleine, and Cookie. Physical Madeleine has Mel, though, and there is no way in hell I'm losing to Cookie. I am not going to lose to Cookie. Which is why I'm out and about. To find my one true love.

So far, I have had no success. How did the others do it? Well, I know how the others did it, but I'm still going to question it. Like, seriously, how the hell does a Shadow Clone seduce a Goddess? Let alone the Goddess of Light! Then again, not all of them are with the best partners. Shadow Madeleine #26 got stuck with the Brewing Witch, who seems like a huge sadist. Which reminds me, how the hell does a Shadow Clone drink potions?

No more questions. Those don't help in the pursuit of love. Speaking of pursuits, I'm currently in the middle of chasing someone. Why? Well, they broke the law, obviously. Look, despite Physical Madeleine's whimsical nature, she's still a law-abiding citizen, and as such, so must her shadows. Except seducing a princess doesn't sound very law-abiding. I'll have to interrogate Shadow Madeleine #2. 

Anyways, back to my chase. Somehow they're running on the air, which I didn't even know was possible with magic. Then again, my knowledge of magic is limited since shadows can't do magic besides Darkness Magic. It also means I'm forced to chase them on foot. Occasionally, I throw shadow daggers at them, but there seems to be a barrier of some sort that blocks my attacks, which is very annoying. 

Huh? What crime did they do? Steal my heart, obviously. Just kidding. They stole a book, a really important-looking book. How do I know it looks important? Because it's from the Royal Vaults. I was waltzing around the castle, wondering if any potential suitors were there. I could have a royal affair with either the king, the queen, or maybe even both, or I could've gotten cosy with one of the fellow maids that roam the castle floors, but no, instead, I'd be a witness to a very obvious crime. The phantom thief straight up walked into the vault in front of the guard's eyes and walked out!

That's when our chase began, and right now, we're in the middle of the forest. We've been running for around half an hour, and she's been taunting me constantly while I've been running behind. Like right now! She's running backwards, upside, and poking her tongue at me! I threw a dagger aimed right at her face, which she stopped with just her finger. It's like she's ignoring the laws of both the social world and the physical world! Well, she wasn't defying gravity before she had the book… wait… is that how she's upside down? She's defying the law of gravity? Is that a book that allows you to disregard the rules of anything? I must have it.

I immediately stomped my shadow foot, making the shadows spread out from me at a speed faster than my prey. She was too busy to notice that my shadows had gone ahead of her and were now rising, creating a dome around her and me. She flew straight into the shadow wall, knocking her down. I took that opportunity to jump up, snatching the book that had slipped out of her hands. She fell straight to the floor with an angry look while I wrapped my arms around the book, instantly utilising its abilities to keep myself from falling. Not that falling would kill me since I'm a Shadow Clone.

Anarchy

You can ignore the rules.

Side Note: Down with the system! (Not to be confused with System of a Down)

Huh, that explains everything.


"For an Elf, she doesn't feel very… uh… naturey. You get what I mean, Myka?"

"I certainly do, Lina. That must be because she is what you would call a 'City Elf'. Born and raised within a city, although I do not know which one."

"Huh… so the revealing leaf dress was a terrible idea. Guess we'll just put her in an actual dress."

"Where did you even get a leaf dress?!"

"Don't sweat the details, sis."

"I'm not your sister!"

"Then what are we?"

"Umm… uh… I don't know."

"Then sis it is. So, any thoughts, Myka?"

"I believe Lanie does not suit the leaf dress because of a lack of certain assets."

"You calling me flat!"

"No, I was calling Lanie flat."

"Well, she's basically me!"

"I thought I was your sister!"

"Not now, sis! Go back into the closet and put a nice dress on. I need some private time with Myka."

"Sorry, Lina, I don't like you. I love Madeleine."

"I know. This is a different type of private time."


Item profile: The Anarchist's Cookbook

Sacred power: Anarchy

Can it summon bombs: No (What do you think this is? A roguelike?)

Description: The Anarchist's Cookbook is a copy of the original from Earth which found its way to Mendass via the Creator. As a fan of all things explosive, the Creator naturally has bought a copy and reads it in their free time. One day, however, he accidentally threw it through a portal when trying to turn off their alarm clock by throwing random shit at it. The book ended up in Mendass, and instead of retrieving it, the Creator thought it'd be more interesting to give it an ability. She decided to give it 'Anarchy', thinking it was fitting. She forgot how broken of a power 'Anarchy' is, though. 

Chapter namesake: Joker and The Thief by Wolfmother

I feel like I should clarify the timeline of events, but at the same time, I'm tempted to disregard that just because it'd make things more confusing. I think I'll go for the second option.

13