Chapter 119: If You Were There, Beware
155 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello there, voices of Madeleine's head. I am Shadow Maid #1, colloquially known as the Head Shadow Maid, although I prefer the name Madine. A crude butchering of Madeleine's name, yes, but one I have claimed as my own. I am certain you have many questions, especially with your knowledge, so I shall attempt to answer the questions I predict you will ask. I apologise for having to predict your questions, but I can only sense your presence, not hear you. If I were to hazard a guess, it is likely Madeleine merely hears whatever she thinks you are saying, as opposed to what you are actually saying. Certainly falls in line with Madeleine's character.

If I were to predict your questions, the first would be questions about my identity, then the next would be what I am doing. Although the natives of Mendass do not tend to follow clear logic, you voices, by the description of Madeleine, seem to originate elsewhere. Based on the tangents an Otherworlder I came into contact with, I would even be so bold as to believe you are all spectators from an Earth… 

Ah, sorry. This is supposed to be about me, not you. Although I am very much unlike Madeleine in tone, vocabulary and cadence, I still have inherited some of her quirks, such as her tendency to go on unrelated tangents.

As for what I am currently doing, I believe it would be best described as… "cleaning". A very maid-like activity, would you not agree? Well, I must admit that the "cleaning" is really a cover-up for murder. Still a maid-like activity, at least by Mendass standards. Believe it or not, Madeleine's mother, Moira Vusser, is Mendass' greatest assassin. Demons aren't the only thing she is proficient in killing. That Maid School… actually, no. I will not be sharing that information. Just know there's a reason for a tea stain being on Madeleine's report. If you want more, you must wait for Madeleine to open up… assuming that insanity of hers even shows the tiniest of cracks.

Returning to my "cleaning", there are… too many nuisances in this world, both that endanger Mendass and, more importantly, endanger Madeleine. So far, I have had to deal with assassins from Hula Island after Madeleine due to her ties to the Demon Empress, assassins from the Reincarnator's Association due to her involvement with David the Insane's death, assassins from basically all over Mendass due to her ties to the Seer, and assassins… well, you get the message. There are too many assassins. 

There are also bandits who think she is the weak link of the group that have ties to Mare who they wish to control, the serial killers from Sacre Pla who are after her due to Shadow Clone #9 and her detective girlfriend, and the incredible amount of men and women who become infatuated with Madeleine. Worry not, I do not harm the last group, but I do try to dissuade their fruitless endeavours in romance.

Simply put, I am getting rid of pests that are attempting to approach Madeleine. Madeleine is capable of dealing with them, but it would be much more efficient if I were to take care of them before Madeleine can register them as threats. That and the party she travels with would be liabilities, specifically the sister of Mel. I would offer a full analysis of the party she travels with, but I believe it would bore you as I go rather in-depth. Madeleine has a lot of combat knowledge but relies on instinct, unlike myself. I prefer consciously utilising the knowledge she has accrued.

The current person I am dealing with just so happens to be a Sacred Power holder, which, by the way, is one of many factors that clued me into your presence within my mind. I have noticed that every Shadow Clone that you have visited also happen to be Shadow Clones who have obtained a Side Note. If I were to consider a rant that Myka went on about back in her crazed state in between her ramblings about antagonists and ending the world, it makes sense why you only appear when a Shadow Clone is about to collect a Side Note. I still wonder how Myka changed, but as a shadow, my access to information is rather limited. Since I am on this topic, I might as well share the Side Note. Allow me to peek into the man's eyes for a second.

If You Were There, Beware

You passively tag people who have wronged those you love. You know where those tagged are at all times. You cannot be harmed by those who were tagged.

Side Note: The serpent soul pinchers.

Okay, there. A peculiar ability name with an oddly specific effect, but after briefly conversing with the Creator, who was insistent on me calling her grandma, I am of the opinion that questioning Sacred Powers is a fool's folly. 

Do not worry. Madeleine had done nothing to a loved one of this man, as it was actually Merida who had done the wronging. I had to get rid of him for Merida's sake, who, yes, is still alive. So is Mare. 

Now you might be wondering, why am I protecting Merida? As you may have observed, Madeleine seems to flip-flop between getting attached to people and completely forgetting them, even mid-conversation. This quirk is because… I guess I will share why. Madeleine has lived quite a lonely life. She grew up in the Maid School, ostracised due to her contradictory adeptness and dullness in the various classes, then ended up spending the first few months of her life outside of Maid School imprisoned, proceeding to be turned into a criminal slave and sent to Hamblin, the worst place in Mendass. She'd end up nearly executed, then was in the employment of the Demon Empress, only really starting her life once she ran away from there. I hate to sour their relationship, but Madeleine only likes Mel because she was the first one to actually listen to her. Pitiful, isn't it?

What does that have to do with anything? Merida seems to be one such person who Madeleine has chosen to be attached to rather than dismissive of. Although Merida clearly tried to disconnect herself from Madeleine for reasons unknown to me, it's clear Madeleine's will has made it so that Shadow Clones will protect those she's attached to. That might also explain the Shadow Clone with Rio Verdeux.

I guess that is all I can share now, as it appears Merida and Mare are on the move again. I apologise if it seems like a very sudden tonal change, as I know that my thought process differs from Madeleine's. I am certain you will be returned to her, or maybe end up observing a more Madeleine-like Shadow Clone. As for parting words… I hope all you do is observe Madeleine. Otherwise, that would be more targets for my list. For now, adieu.


Character profile: Alex Helders

Sacred power: If You Were There, Beware

Number of people tagged alive/dead: 5/142

Description: The vigilante of Bellum. Alex has spent most of his life surrounded by bandits, his rural village constantly raided by army deserters who turned to banditry. Although scary to him as a child, the bandits would only steal crops from the farms or animals from the pens, never touching the people of the village. That is until one day a bandit had accidentally killed Alex's father, who was trying to defend his farm with nothing but a pitchfork. The death of Alex's father caused "If You Were There, Beware" to awaken, letting Alex know where his father's murderer was. The Sacred Power also retroactively tagged the other bandits, as they had stolen directly from the farm Alex's family lived on. Alex, utilising his ability's invincibility, walked into the bandit's hideout and killed them all. From this day forward, he would be the protector of his family. 

Chapter namesake: If You Were There, Beware by Arctic Monkeys

10