High School Days (4)
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucas didn’t seem to notice Akio’s burning gaze.

 

The teacher looked around. “There’s a seat available next to Lucas. If you’re not comfortable, or have problems, we can rearrange your seat.”

 

“No,” Akio started walking to his seat. He stopped right before his seat and turned his head slightly, “long time no see, Lucas.”

 

The classroom was buzzing.

 

“They know each other?”

 

“Does that mean he also knows Leah?”

 

“Haha, is this some kind of stereotypical romance plot?”

 

“Hush everybody,” the teacher was exasperated. “Akio, please sit. You can catch up with your friend after class is over.” Taking the hint, Akio sat down.

 

The class was restless through the whole period. They were discussing in hushed tones, what the relationship between the transfer students were. After all, one of them greeted the other, and they all transferred within the same month.

 

As the teacher began class, Lucas looked out the window in a daze. He didn’t sleep too well last night. As if sensing his thoughts, the teacher began to speak softer, making him drowsier. He closed his eyes drowsily.

 

Akio looked over as Lucas was dozing off. A halo of light was covering him. He smiled, “sleep tight.”

 

Ding dong dang dong. The bell rang.

 

Lucas tiredly opened his eyes and sat up from the table. He looked around, and there was an afternoon glow covering the empty class.

 

Akio entered the classroom. “You’re awake,” he smiled. “You were sleeping really deeply. I tried waking you up, but you wouldn’t budge.” Akio walked closer. “Did you not get enough sleep last night?”

 

Lucas glanced at Akio, unconcerned about his question. Lucas stood up and reached for his bag, yet all he grabbed was air. Looking at the culprit who took his bag, Lucas asked, “is there anything else you need.”

 

“I’ll carry your bag, so let's go to your house. After all, I haven’t seen aunty and uncle in a long time.” Akio grinned and headed out the door. Lucas was left standing in the desolate classroom. He decided it was better to just follow along.

 

Outside the classroom, the hallway was also quiet, as if someone had purposely cleared it out. Heading out the building, he stopped just outside of the school gates and looked around. With Noir to be nowhere in sight, he came to a conclusion that Noir wasn’t coming. Lucas continued walking home with Akio. Keeping a distance behind Akio, he questioned, “How do you know where I live?”

 

Akio stopped. “Is it still not the same house from when we were kids?” He looked back, as though he was certain that it was still that house.

 

Lucas walked ahead. “I was just wondering.”

 

Akio let out a sigh, “you had me scared. I thought that you moved out.” He continued walking alongside Lucas. “By the way, where’s Leah? Did she not come to school?”

 

“I don’t know. What does it have to do with me?”

 

“Oh,” Akio paused, and was about to say something until he caught sight of Lucas’s house. “It looks like we're already here,” Akio quickened his steps and entered the house. Standing in the foyer, Akio started asking questions, “is aunty back. How about uncle? When did you transfer back? Were you lonely after all these years?”

 

Not answering any questions, Lucas left Akio standing in the foyer. Walking upstairs, he saw Leah come out of her room. He saw her with a red face and wrapped in a blanket. “Caught a cold?”

 

“Yeah,” she answered quietly. “Do we have guests, brother?”

 

Rubbing Leah’s head, “no, go back and rest.”

 

“Oh… okay,” she smiled.

 

Entering his room, he saw Noir on the bed. “I thought you were going to meet me at the gate.”

 

Meow. I was caught up with something else. Did you miss me?

 

Looking at his hand he used to pet Leah’s head, “no, I brought the target home. I don’t know what to do.”

 

You did? Did he meet Leah?

 

Sitting on the bed. “She didn’t come to school, so they didn’t meet. She didn’t go downstairs either.”

 

That's good news.

 

“Hey,” Lucas looked up, “why did I pet Leah’s head?”

 

Meow? Why? Maybe it was an unconscious action from the original host.

 

Lucas clenched his hand, “but why would he have an unconscious action of petting his sister’s head? Wouldn’t he have felt anything but affection for Leah?”

 

I don’t know. Let’s talk about something else. From here on out, you mustn't let the target fall in love with Leah. Noir raised his clenched paw.

 

Lucas hummed in sign of acknowledgement. He got up and started unbuttoning his uniform.

 

Noir widened his eyes. Wh- what are you doing!?

 

“Changing,” Lucas spat out. “If you don’t want to see, then scram.”

 

He- hey, no need to so rude. Noir turned his head. I’ll just look somewhere else. When Noir heard the shuffling of clothes stop, he turned back to see Lucas in more a casual clothes consisting of a black sweater and black pants. If you’re done, then go back down and deepen your relationship with your target. Noir waved Lucas off.

 

Lucas looked at Noir, “call the target by their names from now on. I don’t want to keep calling them ‘target’.”

 

Ye- yes sir. Noir saluted nervously.

 

With the agreement of Noir, Lucas went down. As he got nearer to the bottom of the stairs, he saw Akio conversing with his parents.

 

“It’s been hard on you,” June handed over a cup of orange juice.

 

“It’s been fine aunty,” Akio forced a smile.

 

“It’s fine if you rely on us, Akio. You were the twin's only friend, and we were friends with your parents too,” Paul pat his back.

 

“But, then, what kind of friend would I be?” Akio looked down, hiding his face with his bangs.

 

“Akio, even if your parents-”

 

Knock, Knock. Lucas knocked on the door frame, alerting his parents of his arrival.

 

“Lucas, you’re here,” June gave a small smile. “I’ll let you and Akio talk with each other.” As she left, she dragged Paul out and gave Lucas a wink.

 

Walking in front of Akio, Lucas slowly asked, “is it fun pretending to them, Akio.”

1