Chapter 11: Homecoming
1.9k 9 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Homecoming

If you had told me before all this started that a bed could be too soft, too comfortable, I wouldn’t have believed it. Well at least not until after last night. After a couple hours of tossing and turning I’d given up on sleeping and went for a walk around the bunker. 

The size and opulence of the place was unbelievable, not even taking into account the cell I’d spent the last few months in, this bunker was bigger than my home back at the Andersons. Don’t even get me started on all the furnishings. Hardwood floors, fancy art, marble… This guy’s bunker was more luxurious than most people’s houses.

Returning to my room after my second tour of the bunker just as tired as when I left, dead tired, I figured I’d give the bed a try another night. For now though… Ripping the new sheets and pillows off of the bed, I piled them on the room’s wooden floor, before making myself a nest. It didn't take me long to lay down and roll myself into a cocoon, even less to fall back to sleep. Just a few wiggles and I was gone.

* * *

We were heading out to the city, my first time out of the bunker. Time to show Robin Wraith to the world, I could feel my hand vibrating against my leg, I shoved it into my jacket pocket. It was time to face the world, now or never. Nel gestured, towards rift.
“After you Spike, we’ll be right behind you!”

As I stepped through the rift, I felt something impact my chest, followed by the sound of a distant bang.  Why did my legs feel weak? How did I end up on the pavement? Two more bangs rang out followed by the sound of things softly thudding against the ground next to me. 

Gasping as I attempted to speak, I found myself choking. Something wet splattered across my chin as I coughed and took a shallow breath. I was sure it was still morning, why was the sun setting? It was getting dark. I felt so tired. I think I'll just rest my eyes… 

“You thought I’d let you freaks run free?”

* * *

I woke with a start, tangled in the sheets as I thrashed around trying to free myself. Panting, my breath grew short, the fabric clinging to my face like a death veil suffocating me. 

Hurried footsteps echoed through the timber floor, the vibrations traveling through my skull as they approached. They gently grasped my shoulder, holding me still as they worked at my wrapping. Fresh air and light greeted me as the sheet was peeled back from my face.

Panic fading, my thundering heart was beginning to slow and I began to draw less ragged breaths. I finally registered the hand gently stroking my hair. A concern filled face, peered down at me. 

A defined chin I had only seen beneath a helm, leading into a handsome face. In their corners, crow’s feet framed bright blue eyes. A head of well groomed dark hair, cut in a corporate professional style was peppered with the beginnings of grey hairs. The face could almost have belonged to someone younger, but the traces of old stress told me he had to be around his forties.

“Al?” It couldn’t be…

“It's alright, you’re safe now. You were having a nightmare, I could hear you from the hallway, you seemed to be in quite some distress. It wasn’t real, Miss Robin,” replied the calming voice of Unbowed. I could hear the worry that laced the calm he projected as he attempted to comfort me. He was actually worried about me?

“Just a dream… I’ll be fine. Thank you. Just let me shower and I’ll be out. Can we talk then?..” My voice trembled as I spoke and his blue eyes flared with concern. Did I really sound like that? Scared and helpless? Had I turned into just some damsel who needs to be rescued?

“I leave you there then. I trust you, you can handle yourself. We will talk when you are ready,” he said, picking up a paper wrapped box tied with a resplendent purple ribbon from beside him, before passing it over.
“Tinker finished a few more outfits and had Miss Gingers bring them round this morning. He seems to be pulling out all the stops, to finish this order for you as soon as he can.”

I watched as Al got up from where he had been kneeling next to me and left, closing the door behind him. Now alone, I untied the ribbon before stashing it alongside Ms Clark’s hairbrush with my meagre possessions. I had to be thankful for the prison jumpsuit’s deep pockets or I might have lost it when I escaped.

Sorting through the garments I received last night and this morning I picked out an outfit for today. If I was going to break into my old home at the Anderson’s I was going to need to hide my more unique features to blend in. After laying out a bra and underwear on the stripped bed, I picked out another tank top as well as baggy hoodie and loose jeans for later.

The shower was better than at Tinker’s and that was saying a lot. Tinker’s was the first warm shower after months of cold showers, but in the bunker? The shower in my room ensuite was some expensive glorious bullshit. You could set the water temperature for the hot tap to the degree before stepping inside and the showerhead after only a moment of fiddling had the perfect pressure.

I probably stayed in there longer than I should have, sitting on the shower floor under the jets for ten minutes at the end probably wasn't necessary, even if it was enjoyable. When I finally stepped out of the shower, the heat and water pressure had massaged out more tension than I even realised I had.

By the time I had finally dressed and joined ‘Al’ at the dining table, I probably owed him an apology for keeping him waiting, but if he was as rich as all the signs were pointing to, making him wait would probably do him some good.

Breakfast was interesting… I hadn’t seen anyone else in the bunker, but somehow he was getting gourmet meals down here, not that I was complaining. I could get used to these sorts of luxuries. The table conversation was less than desirable as “Al’ asked me a series of questions about my experiences in the prison.  

I would have preferred to not to dig up those memories and at several points I found myself choking up as I tried to answer. I might not have made it through the questions, but ‘Al’ seemed  to know when to back off and when to comfort.

At one point, I swear he was barely holding himself back from leaning across and pulling me into a hug. Breakfast finished with ‘Al’ again laying down the ground rules, before discussing my plans for the day.

I know you are wondering why I am going along with all these rules and letting myself be locked down in a bunker after breaking out of prison? Well I’d say I was used to it after living in orphanages, the foster system and the Anderson’s, but it is more than that. I can’t help but think ‘Al’, Nel and Tinker actually care about me.

I don't have a lot of experience with people actually caring about me, Ms Clark was the first and maybe since they all have powers they might last? Is it safe to hope yet?

‘Al’ seems great, for a villain. I can’t help but admire his conviction for the cause of Emerged equality and underneath that he is stuffy upper crust dork, but in the rough twenty four hours I’ve known him I keep wondering if he is what having a real dad would be like and if he has kids of his own.

I probably shouldn’t have pried since he rescued me and I am in his debt for sheltering me, but he remained silent when I asked if he had kids. Maybe there was sadness in his eyes, maybe it was my imagination.

Also I shouldn’t forget I can actually leave here, a rift is just a phone call away. Well until I need somewhere to sleep or eat… Then there is the fact I’ve seen Unbowed’s face, I hope this isn’t one of those ‘you know too much, the only way I can let you leave is kill you’ situations…

We didn’t really mess around after breakfast, Unbowed wanted me to see a doctor before I went anywhere. Saying something about a full health checkup and recording any evidence of abuse and neglect from my time in prison as soon as possible.

See a doctor? He has to be joking We’re both fugitives from the law, so we can’t expect to just walk into a hospital or doctor’s practise and I don’t see him bringing a doctor here through any other method than kidnapping.

Ok, so I guess you could call me surprised when I was told to head to my room, while he greeted the Doctor. Apparently between Nel’s portals and someone called Lachlan, he hadn’t had much trouble arranging a doctor’s visit. Lesson one I guess, never doubt the power of money and contacts.

By the time Unbowed and the doctor strode into the room, I was anxiously sitting on the bed kicking my legs.

By the time she left, I had a two swollen arms and a swollen ass from vaccinations I missed growing up and I was missing what felt like a third of my blood for tests. That and I had recieved several diagnosis.

At 5’8” and just under 94 pounds I was underweight and suffering from malnutrition, plus lack of sunlight. The worst was the gynecological examination and it was pretty uncomfortable when she asked if I had experienced my period since the changes. I hadn’t, but apparently it wasn’t surprising given my low weight and the physical and mental stress I had experienced since the Emergeance. 

That and she thought I should be seeing a shrink. I’m not sure I like her bedside manner…

* * *

Even though I had turned down Unbowed’s offer of help in retrieving my belongings from the Anderson’s place, he phoned Nel with one of the Bunker’s phones and arranged for her to rift me close to home and to bring me back when I was done. 

I was glad to see Nel when she arrived, she has a fun personality and that’s not even mentioning the fact she was a red hot ginger.

After a brief bit of banter between the two, we were about ready to go and Nel had torn open a rift for us. I can’t say I wasn’t anxious after last night’s nightmare, but thankfully ‘Al’ interrupted me before I had a chance to ruminate. Laying a fatherly hand on my shoulder, he pressed into my hand a cheapo off the shelf cellphone.

“Nel and I’s numbers are programmed into this burner, if you get into trouble, run, hide and call us. We will help you out of it. Also be back before dark, don’t think I won’t ground you if you miss dinner young miss,” he fussed over me like a kid heading out for their first day at school.

“Yes Dad…” I sarcastically droned, as I waved and followed Nel through the rift. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t happy about the parental care he was showing, I wish even just one person had cared about me like this when I was growing up. I’m almost eighteen and this is a first for me.

It took me a couple seconds to find my bearings after we stepped through and work out where we were. At one end of the room desks and chairs were piled up against a wall, while at the other a chalkboard hung onto the wall by a single screw, almost touching the floor where it had slipped down at one end.

We were in a classroom in the derelict Görwood community college. It had closed down almost a decade ago after state funds were cut, the site was now a haven for vandals, squatters and drug dealers. Last time I was here was a night back in middle school on a dare. Nel knew her stuff, it was probably the best place to avoid notice when rifting, if anyone did see us they were unlikely to be the sort of people that would call the cops or tell anyone.

“I hope you don’t run into any troubles while getting your stuff. Call me when you want a lift back and I’ll meet you here. He seems to care about you Robin, don’t let him down. Good luck,” and just like that Nel stepped back through the rift, letting it snap shut behind her.

My old home was only a seven minute walk from the community college and being back walking these streets was, for lack of better words, weird. 

I had been planning to come back and retrieve my stuff as soon as possible after I had been kicked out, maybe return to live there for a few more months until I moved out if my foster parents had cooled down. But after the Emergence? I had lost sight of my old goals, the time I spent in that hole felt like a lifetime ago. Honestly I thought I’d never see this place again.

When I finally reached the Anderson’s two story white board house with bomb shelter in the backyard I didn’t stop. Instead I casually did a lap of the block, scoping out their place and the neighbours. Last thing I wanted was to get shot by a nosy neighbour, who’d spotted me climbing in a window.

That said, the whole thing ended up being pretty anticlimactic, being mid morning the neighbourhood was fairly deserted, the Anderson’s car wasn’t in the driveway and no one was home. 

Grabbing the spare key under the pot plant at the back door, I just waltzed in. I climbed the stairs to my old room, then pried loose the floorboard where I hide everything and then I piled into my old school bag. Everything I hid from my foster parents. My nest egg from my part time jobs, my mobile and my laptop. Also a few treasured keepsakes like my battered teddy bear, a skirt I had hidden and a strange coin or medallion bearing an anchor on it I had been found with.

I didn’t hang around, I had little sentimentality for this place. It was just another prison by another name. I hurried back to the community college. 

Oh I almost forgot to mention… Do you ever sometimes look up and the sky and wonder, what the fuck is that!? Well I just did. You know when you can sometimes faintly see the moon in the afternoon sky? There was a second fucking moon! A small moon superimposed over the old one. 

When did Earth become Tatooine? Before any nerds jump out of thin air like ninjas to correct me on it being two suns, I know! I am being melodramatic.

* * *

Well I did make it back in time for dinner, so I wasn’t grounded.

Back at the bunker, I’d rebuilt my nest on the bed and curled up with my laptop after charging it. Now before you ask, the wifi channel was [Not_A_Supervillain_Lair] and the password was Unbroken2019.  I’m being serious! I swear he was almost smirking, when he handed me the card he had printed the details on. Of course Unbowed was the type of person to print the wifi details on a fucking business card. Also the bunker seemed to be blocking outside signals, as it was the only wifi channel my laptop or phone could detect and I was getting zero bars down here. 

Picking out my Cement Butterflies playlist to listen to as I browsed, I cranked up the laptops tinny volume. A part of me just wanted to aimlessly browse and catch up on everything I had missed, which was a lot.

It was like the universe had undergone a chain of uncontrolled reactions leading into full blown nuclear meltdown, only to suddenly stop and slowly start finding a new state of equilibrium. The night all this had started, I had been removed from the picture and placed into isolation with barely any word of the outside world. Now I’m out and the world I thought I knew was gone. Or was it just worse?

I could learn all about what I’d missed later, Kelly was relying on me to find her.

The first name I googled was ‘Ms Clark OMR’. The top result was a recent news article about her tragic death after a mugging that went wrong. My cheeks grew damp as I read the witness accounts of the event, followed by the statements by the EMTs and an emotional obituary that listed her lifetime achievements, helping the marginalized and fighting injustice.

Closing the tabs, I buried my tear streaked face in my sheets until my grief filled shudders ceased.

A Cement butterflies song later, I felt up to resuming my research. Next up was Kelly Newhall. I trusted her but it didn’t hurt to double check and see if I could find anything new. Not that I was very successful, all I found were a few social media accounts I was locked out of by privacy settings and another news article. The article was fairly brief and rather than laying the blame on Bastion, it laid suspicions on an Emerged called Kalia. Bingo! The fox girl exists!

Kelly’s death wasn’t the only case of hero malpractice I found, in the related articles was one about a newbie hero Flashpoint, who had mistaken an innocent catgirl for a villain and paralyzed her from the waist down by throwing her off a building. From the looks of things he got off easy, seems his parents were linked to the company paying for her medical costs and after pleading guilty his lawyers arranged for a settlement to be paid towards her.

On Kalia I found next to nothing, so I ended up searching foxgirl and penrith. I was floored by what I found! My search was filled with news articles about the exploits of a foxy thief named Vulptrix, gossip about her relationship with a well known superheroine, fan art (some lewd) of the pair and an amusing clip on youtube of an interview with the heroine Nightbinder.

Hero and Villain fandoms…  That was sorta new, well the old comic and movie ones had fanbases but these were real life supers being treated like celebrities.

What was interesting to note was this Vulptrix not only looked like how Kelly had described Kalia but she also had illusionary powers. Wow, what was this pain stabbing through my skull? I quickly shelved that thought and closed the browser. 

Softly singing along to my music, I began to get ready for bed. At one point I thought I heard the wooden floor creak as someone moved outside my room, but when I looked no one was there.

Yawning I returned to the bed and curled up in my nest. Time to give the bed another try.

Announcement
Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Please leave comments/reviews as they fill us writers with joy!

The Kammiverse has it's own discord where you can talk to other readers and the various authors including myself and QuietValerie.

91