Chapter 42: Announcement [2]
2.4k 7 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The news quickly spread around the academy. The first years made a big fuss over the new schedule after it was announced.

The schedule was even updated in our vraces which cemented the new grading for the coming midterms.

3 weeks before the midterms. It was to be held at the end of the month and the first day of next month.

Many students wanted to complain but facing the professors one on one was something those cowards wouldn't want to do, so most of them just sent formal complaints in the consultation office.

Alas their efforts were all for naught as their pleas for their personal considerations was shot down completely.

Some even suggested that the academy should outsource additional guards during diving classes as a temporary solution to their problem.

However that's one thing that the academy would not allow since not only would it further undermine the confidence of the public in their administration.

Outsourcing more staff from outside also poses risks from popping up. All the professors and staff employed by Uvelia academy has been through rigirous and intensive evaluation and screening.

The academy would not compromise on their own employment and staffing procedures as it has been effective for the longest time.

And considering the alloted time for the midterms, it wouldn't make much of a difference if that kind of alternative was used.

Furthermore, the most crucial thing that they would have to worry about would be a fatal infiltration from the Order and the Alliance.

Even if the Alliance and Uvelia academy is in partnership concerning labyrinth exploration, the academy draws a line from any intervention from the Alliance.

Publicly it's because the academies for delvers are institutions free from extensive government intervention.

The fact that all of the academies in the barrier nations are privately owned is another factor as to why their relationship with the Alliance only amounts to delver business.

The way it works, the Alliance vacates certain layers for academies for exclusive student use while they preserve the upper layers for official delvers and guilds.

In turn, delver academies train and presents multiple talents for public recruitment and other opportunities befitting the prestige of someone having been professionally trained in varying expert fields.

This symbiotic relationship and system has efficiently and effectively persisted all throughout the labyrinth calendar for almost 50 years.

Although both have the same goal, their vision concerning delvers is something that the academy will not allow.

If the Academy is concerned for the blooming of student's potential and talent, the Alliance and other guilds only care for another cannon fodder to throw out to the labyrinth.

This is something that most people aren't aware of, mostly elites and people of high status know this rigid but also working structure of the barrier nations.

Most people would think that the Alliance and the academies are in good relations but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Although they do have a level of wariness from each other, they do not see or even consider each others as actual enemies since there's a bigger entity threathening their lives.

'...But they would still take a crack at each other if the opportunity presents itself...' I mused as I looked at the news on my vrace.

(Uvelia Academy, fails to secure the lower layers from the Order!)

(Change in curriculum! Is this a sign of the academy folding from the recent incident?)

(Headmaster Uvelia states to crack down on the Order!)

(Uvelia Academy's response!?)

"...Sheesh, well words really spread fast.." I exclaimed, seeing the screen filled mostly of articles criticizing the news of the curriculum change.

Majority of the article was even out right slandering the headmaster's decision.

'...Who the hell wrote this? are they looking for an early grave?'

No one in their sane minds would even dare to directly criticize the headmaster considering she's one of the most powerful delvers in Durevellis and the barrier nations as a whole.

Only a person out of their minds would write this, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Alliance commissioned some negative articles for revenge for being ignored during those past three days.

Looking at all these ridiculous news outlets, a certain headline caught my attention.

(A fallen offspring in the academy, a possible accomplice in the Uvelia assassination attempt!?)

"...So even this has spread huh..."

Other similar articles has also popped out but they don't have concrete details on the individual, even his name isn't included.

This could probably be the actions of the academy trying to protect Jun and as expected he's aware of this already.

I already knew that Vivian warned him during his time from the clerical church and that was also the reason why she guarded his room.

At the time, it slipped my mind as to why she was there.

'...Well the original Ray wouldn't have been wandering around for a can of Poppers at that time so...' I thought while I remembered how Jun acted yesterday.

The way he acted is similar to how he reacted when the news got out in the original.

Luckily no one has brought out further information on him but I'm pretty sure it would only be a matter of time before someone sings.

But that's the least of his problems. The outside's reaction isn't something he should be prepared for but the retaliation from inside of this place

Shutting off my vrace, I looked at the giant door in front of me.

It was already afternoon, just right after our lunch break. I just ate some simple hotdog in the cafeteria as I wanted to be the one here first.

Since the afternoon classes was originally scheduled for labyrinth explorations, students wouldn't usually be found anywhere else other than the hub or the combat hall.

But due to the changes implemented, some opted to find some way to make up on their failing marks which was evident during our morning class.

Such is why, I visited this place and quickly entered after checking the sign above.

'Library'

The sign indicated on the top of the door entrance.

-----

One would naturally think that in a world with an all purpose device that could basically tap into virtually any information, a book would be something obsolete.

However books in this world holds more value than rare material and minerals found in the labyrinth or any vrace for that matter.

All because of the existence of the system and it's integration of mana into insightful books or even particular texts.

Some direct examples would be the manual that I got from the Irisville household. It was originally something that the original head had written after discovering the opticpoint mana operation.

After it's discovery, the system evaluated it as a skill classification which turned it into an item for skill learning.

That manual has been passed down from generation to generation and everytime it is depleted and used, the family members would write another.

Even I can write the whole thing all at once. After I had read it once, the knowledge and technique became ingrained in me.

A book of such value came to be just because someone decided to write their experience and knowledge.

And such experience and knowledge is deemed worthy of being transformed into a skill.

The same goes for the books in Uvelia Academy's library which has a seperate building just to house all the books they have.

Rows and rows of endless books on display decorated the numerous shelves in this grand library.

Looking up, I see a sun dome from atop shining sunlight through all 6 floors in this building.

The place smelled of antique and dried wood. The furniture and the various decorations like the flowers and various portraits of some venerable mages and researchers made it more appealing to the eyes.

The only downside of this place is it's sheer scale, it's possible to be lost in this maze like structure.

"...Hello.." I called out to the librarian in charge. 

"...I see..."

"...Excuse me"

"...Oh...my...."

"Hey!"

"Y-Yes!?" 

Startled by my shout, the girl who seems to be a first year just like me quickly arranged her desk full of various books.

She was a girl with brown hair styled in a braid and had a short stature. Adjusting her round glasses, she nervously looked at me with her brown eyes.

"....Where's the section for 'Mana Operation'?"

"...Mana Operation? Hmmm please wait a minute. [Recollect]"

Standing still for a few seconds, she shook her head after doing so.

"It's on the second floor, Section B-32"

Stating it as such, the girl then sat and continued to read the mountain of books in front of her.

Heeding her instructions, I also went my way to the second floor of the library.

While I was walking up the stairs, I got curious about the skill that librarian used.

'..Recollect...such a convenient skill. She must have instantly looked through her memories like a computer if she found the section so quickly like that'

A skill like that would be seriously be convenient to use during the exam but it would be stupid to do so when the professors can sense when a skill in the vicinity is used.

One would only get caught and be failed instantly if they're found.

'..Unless you use a skill of similar nature before the exam, it's a passable tactic but such skills are a dime in a dozen..'

"Luckily there is one in here~"

More specifically a passive skill called [Memorize] in the Mana books section.

This was a skill found by Jun through his protagonist luck during the second semester's finals.

Being caught up in all sorts of trouble, he couldn't find any time for himself to study such is why he drew all sorts of straw until he decided to come here.

Currently, Jun's supposed to be studying with Emily but he got dragged by Lily instead to study.

It only left me and Alice. Knowing how stupid Alice was, Emily forcibly ordered her to study with her.

As for me, I left them be in a flash because I knew I wouldn't be able to pass even if I was tutored by a smart girl like Emily.

Ray isn't exactly dumb but he isn't exactly that smart either. The same could be said for me even before I got transmigrated into Ray's body. 

He just got admitted in here because of Ronald.

He is average at best at this type of stuff but his intellect was impeded by the harrassment of that old hag.

Even in the novel, Ray barely passed, taking last place.

However with my current circumstances I can't afford to get last place at all. 

And luck isn't something I'm betting on passing the test nor luck won't help me in finding that skill in this place.

"..If you can't win through hard work, then cheat.." I adjusted my goggles.

81