Chapter 52: Fruits of Labor [2]
1.2k 9 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Things were getting out of hand, Sophia and the librarian were having a stare off, the former intimidating the latter.

The librarian wasn't saying anything which didn't help calm those people down, specially Sophia.

It was only going to get more troublesome from this point on.

With how everybody was acting, this girl wouldn't think of coming to this place again.

'...That would be a problem, why is she looking for this guy..'

Looking beside me, Jun wasn't even paying attention to what was happening in the room. 

Before I knew it, he was already starting to fall asleep. I never thought that he was this tired from the search.

"Jun, this isn't the time to sleep. Some girl is looking for you"

I shook his shoulders to wake him up. This wasn't exactly the time for some shut eye.

I still don't know why she was looking for Jun so it would be best that this guy should take care of this.

While he was starting to wake up, the voices of Sophia grew louder.

"Hey are you listening? You sure have some nerve to come here after what you did"

'..Calm down, you stupid fox. You only just got banned' I retorted, the way she worded it made it seem like she was wronged by this meek girl.

"W-Wait...I..just.."

Gripping her skirt tightly, the librarian couldn't take the pressure coming from Sophia. In addition, numerous stares were directed at them.

It seems that she couldn't take it anymore and she was just about to leave.

'Oh come on, do I really have to?' 

Jun just got up and it seems he's still in a daze which would normally force me to intervene. Luckily, we had a saint in the room.

"Everyone that's enough. Is that how you should treat someone?"

Getting everyone's attention, Emily stood up as she walked towards beside the librarian.

All of them instantly quited down, not wanting to go against Emily nor want to get in trouble with her.

Most of the people here adored Emily and her words had great influence. Just by standing up for the librarian, the crowd just seperated to mind their own business.

Almost everyone that is.

"Stranford. Me and this girl have something to talk about..."

Sophia wasn't one to back down against anyone, even against Emily. 

Emily just smiled as she turned to look at the librarian who was confused from this confrontation.

She then gave her a reassuring smile as she spoke go Sophia calmly.

"Sophia, I-"

"We're not that close Stranford. I don't remember allowing you to call just by my initial name.."

Sophia crossed her arms as she reminded Emily.

"Sorry about that. Then Foxx, whatever business you have with this girl can wait. It seems she was looking for Jun Carter afterall"

"...As I said, I too have some business with her" she then glared at the librarian who was hiding behind Emily all of a sudden. 

"I understand but there's a time and place for that, isn't there?"

Emily didn't mind the prickly attitude of Sophia and continued to talk to her. 

"I'm fairly sure you can wait for another time. Besides the person she's looking for is already awake"

Emily then looked towards our direction with a knowing nod. She also stared hard at Jun who was still had his eyes closed.

Sophia also glanced our way and when she met my eyes, she clearly clicked her tounge in annoyance.

"...Hmph.."

Sophia turned her head as she went through the other door of the room followed by her follower.

Emily tapped the shoulder of the librarian who was still hiding behind her.

"Sorry about that. This wouldn't have happened if Jun wasn't sleeping"

She said aloud while the librarian just thanked Emily in a hurry.

"Jun, you blockhead. Snap out of it already"

Even Alice was telling him to wake up properly. He was still in a daze.

"Uhhh.."

Opening his eyes, Jun looked surprised as he saw the girl hiding behind Emily.

"Oh it's you!"

He said in a familiar tone.

"..Hi...Jun.." 

The librarian greeted while a red hue spread around her cheeks. Her eyes seemed very delighted to see Jun.

'Allright. What's really going on here?'

I mused as Alice had also looked between Jun and the librarian with an amused look.

-----

It was the first day when Jun was tasked with finding the skill book inside the great library.

Jun didn't couldn't find it as he had only started to survey the floor that Ray had told him beforehand.

Checking everything one by one was a gruelling task to do, specially when one section of the library had astronomous amount of books in it.

It was rinse and repeat, from top to bottom, Jun checked each book carefully.

It took a great toll on his mind as he found the activity quite boring to do. Jun would have preferred to train his swordsmanship instead but for the sake of minimizing his debt, everything he was doing was worth it.

Gratis was a sword that he can't let go after it had allowed him to overcome his limiting constitution.

He didn't know why Ray had so much confidence in him finding such a book but from the time he had known him, he had never said anything without a good reason.

Such is why, Jun was determined to find it, not only to pay off some of his debt but also to pay his favors to Ray.

Alas, nothing came up at the end of the first day. It was already night as he looked outside the large windows.

"Umm the library is already closed.." 

"Oh sorry, I lost track of time..."

"No, I just didn't think someone would still be here at this time..sorry"

"I don't mind. Then I should be going"

"Yeah"

That was the first time Jun had spoken to the librarian and he thought that she was a very quiet and nice girl from his first impression.

The next day, Jun once again started his search but with visible fatique from his previous attempt.

It was already nearing night once again but he still wasn't close to finding the skill book.

"How in the world am I supposed to find it?" Jun complained while still searching for it.

There was still time before the library closed and he wanted to maximize his available time. There wasn't much he could do but that.

After a while, Jun had come up with nothing in the end. Dejected, Jun decided to go back to the dorms to at least practice his mana operation.

He was expecting to be reminded by the librarian just like last time but when he got to the first floor, he didn't expect to find trouble.

"Hey, just tell us where those skill books are, why don't you?"

"You're the librarian so I'm sure you know where it is right?"

Two first year students were in the corner where stacks of books were messed up all over the place.

It basically looked like they ransacked the place.

"...I-I don't know where those are so please stop!"

The librarian pleaded, she trembled as she got cornered by the two guys.

There weren't any people left in the library at this time so no one was in the area to help her out.

The two also knew this, such is why they were pretty bold in threathening the frail looking girl.

"Don't waste our time. I can't be bothered to look for those myself" the guy with gray slicked hair said while grabbing her hands.

"P-Please stop! or e-else"

"Or else what? Like you have any guts to go against our family name" the other one mocked, he had a rather thin frame and orange short hair.

They must have been notable elites to be able to harrass and threaten a student librarian which has quite an authority concerning the library.

"...You're b-both going to be b-banned from this place. I'll even report this to the teaching staff!"

She shouted, showing some retaliation against the two guys. If it concerned the library, the girl was adamant on using her rights as much as possible.

"Bitch! You dare!"

"It seems you're not that smart as you look"

Both of them got more agitated and tried to even use mana against the librarian.

"No, please!. Help!?"

Before they could conjure any of their skill, Jun took out one of his swords and used his sheathe to strike the hands of two guys.

"Ughh!"

"What!?"

After that, he came between them and the girl. His eyes as fierce as if looking at the assassin he fought from the incident.

Both of them shuddered as they backed away momentarily. Jun's bloodlust leaked out from that brief attack.

"What the- there was someone here?"

"You two. What do you think you're doing?"

Jun questioned even though he didn't need to as it was obvious from what he saw earlier.

"...Imbeciles. The both of you"

"Do you think you can get away with this?" Jun asked. He was puzzled since they were quite confident on doing this foolish act.

There were surveillance cameras everywhere.

"Hah! We already took care of that with [Static Screen]"

The librarian and Jun looked at the surveillance cameras only to find them covered with spheres of electricity.

"Now do you understand? Trying to play the hero, how stupid. What happens here won't come out"

"Your words amount to nothing against ours" 

They were too confident to call it a bluff. They must have already planned this whole thing out.

Jun thought that they even have a plan if ever the girl told the school about this though he was not sure if that was the case, maybe they were going mad.

The two then readied to fight as well as Jun but when they saw who they were about to fight after taking a closer look, they stopped.

"J-Jun Carter! Why is he here?"

"Hey, we can't provoke this guy! He has Irisville's guarantee.."

They cowered after they realized who they were trying to fight. Whatever their plan was, it quickly became nothing against Ray's name.

They were panicking looking at Jun. As if their bravado was fake, the two quickly left the library without continuing what they started.

"...I didn't think Ray's name was this useful..."

Jun was then called out by the girl beside him.

"Umm t-thank you for saving me uhh-"

"It's Jun. Jun Carter and I think I didn't do much"

"No, I was really scared before you...came. I-Im...Irah Pointus by the way..."

"Yeah...nice to meet you. Irah" Jun answered awkwardly while Irah looked at Jun with an admiring gaze.

"Hey are you sure you're going to be fine. Those guys might not stop..."

"..Oh about that [Capture Script]"

After invoking a skill, a book manifested in front of her chest as words quickly filled a few pages.

It then dissappeared right after.

"Don't worry. Those guys are not going to be in this academy any longer..." she said surely.

"Oh...ok" Jun mused that the skill from before might have substituted as surveillance.

So right from the start, they were goners when they decided to do such a stupid plan.

Irah then sighed when she looked at the state of the shelves that were ruined earlier.

Noticing her gaze, Jun quickly started to rearrange the books scattered.

"..Jun, you don't have to.."

"It's fine, I can't just leave like this" Jun smiled while continuing to tidy things up. 

"Jun.."

Her cheeks reddened while Irah also started to clean up.

Both silently arranged everything throughout the night.

And that was their second meeting.

----

"That's why I wanted to say thank you, I didn't get to say it last night..."

Irah said after recounting their meeting.

"Oh you didn't have to you know" Jun shyly said while he put his right arm behind his back.

While they were in their own world, Emily, Alice and I just kept our mouth shuts while Lily looked at the two with a glare that clearly expressed her annoyance.

'Jun, what did you get yourself into?'

62