Chapter 54: Fruits of Labor [4]
1.1k 8 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Night quickly came about as I finished my training in my room. Taking a nearby towel, I cleaned my face and body of sweat.

I took a shower afterwards and ate my mundane meal of green peas and cooked steak.

I wasn't really a great cook and all the dishes I knew only amounted to fried foods and one or two complicated dishes.

Finishing my meal, I looked at the time in my vrace as it indicated the time when the person I've been waiting for would arrive.

*Knock knock

"Just in time"

Heading towards the door, I opened it to see Jun.

"Hey Ray.."

"Come in"

I didn't waste any time and let Jun inside my room. This was the first time I ever invited someone to my room.

I just didn't expect that this guy would be the first to come here.

Jun looked around my dorm room with a curious gaze. 

"It's really clean, this is much tidier than mine.." Jun said while inspecting the furniture.

My room was naturally clean because I had nothing else to do than meditate, eat, and sleep.

Most of my free time was allotted to cleaning the place up and after that I would do some muscle training if there was time.

I gave him some time to look around and after he was done, he sat by the sofa. 

It seemed that it was time for business.

"So did you bring it?"

"Yeah..I did. I thought she wouldn't give it after she and Lily had another fight in the library but it seems I didn't need to worry"

"So they fought again?"

"Yeah...I don't even know why though?"

Jun looked confused as he looked back on the behavior of the two girls. 

"Sure you don't"

"What?"

"Nothing. Just let me see"

Brushing off my comment, Jun nodded as he brought out the item in question from his vrace.

My eyes intently scanned the book in front of me. It had a blank cover and wasn't really that thick compared to the ones I have seen on the library.

However what was concerning was it wasn't just one book. Two more came out from Jun's vrace.

It also had the same blank cover but had varying thickness to the first book. Jun lined them up as my thoughts wandered.

'...There were really three of those things in there? But in the novel, it was only just one, this doesn't make sense..'

"Jun, did she really just find all of this on her own..."

Jun furrowed his brow from my question as he also find it hard to believe that someone would be able to find multiple skillbooks in that maze like place alone.

However with how he easily got it, it couldn't be doubted as the skill books were right in front of them.

"She did. She only explained that it was easy for her because of her class..."

"I see.."

If that was how she explained it then there's nothing much I could find out just from that statement.

Rubbing my chin, I stared at the three skillbooks.

"Ray does this even count..I mean, the book that you're looking for is.." Jun said in a dispirited tone.

Noticing this, I shook my head as there was nothing else he nor I could do with an unknown variable in the way.

"It's fine. Beggars can't be choosers. You've done well. Consider another 3% off as a bonus for this"

"..Ray! I knew it! You're a great guy afterall"

Jun tried to hug me but I quickly dodged in disgust.

"Only this time. I'll keep only one while you have the other two"

"Huh? are you sure?" Jun asked in surprise. He must have expected that I would keep all of it.

"Don't be a fool Jun. She will quickly catch on if you only have one besides I only commisioned one book and that's that"

"I-Is that so? I didn't think of it that way"

Only half of what I said was true. I'am wary of her but not to that extent. 

Moreover, the bonus I gave was in line with the benefit of those two skillbooks. It would surely lessen my worry of death flags in the future.

Besides there wasn't really any point in me taking those two books because it wasn't really compatible with my mana nature.

Most importantly, the only skillbook close to what I needed was the first one he presented to me.

I sighed while I held the skillbook in my hands.

'...I really wanted to get [Memorize] but I have to settle for this one I guess..'

I opened the book as a mechanical voice resounded in my head.

[Do you want to learn the null passive skill, Pattern Analysis]

I answered [Yes] in my head as the skill book shined intensely for a short second.

Opening my eyes after absorbing the skill, I noticed that the book had already dissapeared on my hands.

Jun looked intriqued by the phenomenon while I took a few moments to adjust myself.

It was quite a rattling experience for my mind.

Vivian had already warned us before that mental skills are quite taxing to learn and use. She had advised us not to stack one or two more mental skill in our slots or we would risk breaking our minds.

"You ok?"

Jun's voice made me calm down.

"Yeah, I'm allright. This seals our deal, do what you want with those two"

"Ok but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with [Eiditic Memory] and [Mind Palace]"

"If you're asking me for advice then I suggest that you use [Mind Palace], it's a light natured skill afterall unlike the other one that's darkness"

Jun got lost in thought as he nodded his head towards my words. My advice wasn't solid at all because this was the first time I've ever heard of these skills.

I only opted for the best and efficient option to choose from for now if I was strictly considering Jun's compatibility with the skill.

"I'll think about it,...Hey Ray why don't you join our study group. Irah's really good at teaching.."

"You do know I can't get in the library right?" 

"Oh right!" Jun laughed awkwardly as he got up from his seat.

"Anyway..I have to go.."

I nodded in response. Jun looked back at me as he opened the door.

"Ray, let's do our best for the midterms" 

Jun left those words after leaving my room. The sound of his footsteps diminishing by the second.

"I don't have any choice do I? Although placing top 5 seems impossible now without [Memorize]" I mumbled.

It was a regrettable turn of events but I have to look at the bright side of things. Forcing the search at this rate wouldn't do me nor Jun any good.

There's also the matter of their study group relocating in the library as per Irah's request in exchange for those skill books.

'..She's a handful, that librarian..'

Irah Pointus

A character that I don't remember having any role in the story nor any semblance of influence in the novel whatsoever.

There's a possibility that I may have just forgotten her character or her involvement may have slipped my mind because it wasn't important in the story.

Either way, she has notably became involved with Jun which also means that she might get involved in the troubles of the future.

I don't know a thing about Irah. All I know is that she's a first year that's been given the role of head librarian.

And that her class is a mage type variant called Archivist, no innate skill and is a support.

I found this out by checking the party database and it kinda surprised me that she's a delver and not a production student.

As far as I know, her family name isn't one of the great households in Durevellis. I might have to dig some more on this aspect but it's safe to say that she's fairly normal on that front.

That's the extent of what I presume to be her identity but I can never be too lax about these things.

She's an example of a variable. This world isn't a concrete story anymore so people won't exactly behave as I predict them to do.

All of this thinking was making my head hurt, specially after absorbing that skill.

"Status"

===

Name: Ray Irisville

Mystic Tier: 3

Profession: Pathfinder-5 LP

Class:Gunslinger

Class Skills: Gunslinging Arts(Lvl2)*,

Nature: Null

Skills [2/5]: Opticpoint Mana Operation (B), Pattern Analysis (E), 

Personal Distribution [3/4]: Precision (Lvl 3)^, Sense (Lvl 2), Agility (Lvl 3)^

===

Looking at the skill grading of my newly gained skill, I feel content that at least it was rank  E.

Although [Memorize] was rank C which is really heads above my skill.

However I've thought about it some time before but this skill might be fine as it is

I then looked at the details of [Pattern Analysis]

===

[Pattern Analysis] (E)

-A passive skill that helps the user recognize and comprehend patterns in general. It includes logical and magical structural patterns. It's effectivity is highly dependent on the user's level of perception.

===

There wasn't much to expect from the aspect of logical pattern analysis because I was mediocre at best concerning general studies.

Although it would still greatly help me in my studies, comprehension was something that I lacked.

Breaking down text structure and logical patterns would be much easier now.

More importantly, the skill also included magical structure which meant that I could also improve my studies on magic.

The only thing I don't quite understand how my perception would affect this skill at all.

"...Do I need to have deep insight or something? I'm not that smart though.."

I thought about it for a while but I still couldn't understood what it meant. I hoped that my skill would help but being clueless won't exactly produce any output.

"I'll think about it later.."

I heaved a heavy air as I sat down by my study desk. Laying out the textbooks I requested from my professors and the notes I had taken.

"For now, it's time to grind"

62