Chapter 238: Man Eaters
127 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The secret passage is down here, but…”

Luca leads us to an old well located in the outskirts of the tower. All the buildings around it seemed abandoned for years: the area was likely to be poorly frequented long before the capital turned into a ghost town.

“I see, a perfect place to hide something, that’s for sure.”

I nod and am the first to start climbing down the well. It is not very deep and already completely dry. Moving a rock next to the wall at the bottom reveals a passage.

I wait for my six companions to come down, then stepped inside the passage. After about 30 minutes in the narrow passageway, we run into a wall.

“Please search the ceiling, there should be a handle.”

“Yeah, found it.”

I shine my torchlight on the ceiling and soon enough find a C-shaped handle. I slide it to the side and light seep in the dark corridor.

“Oof, step back. I’ll get rid of the dust.”

I wipe away the dust, soot and cobwebs falling together with the light, then climb through the opening and find myself pop up from a fireplace.

“This is the study priests use.”

“Yes, looks like it’s empty. You can all come out.”

“Yes, pardon me…”

I take Luca’s hand and pull her up. The other six, rogue, ninja, commander,  and knights, do not need any assistance.

The idle study is still and silent. Even the books, neatly lined in their shelves, gives off an air of loneliness.

Luca gazes at the room in melancholy for a few moments, then speaks.

"I lost my virginity here months ago. Then, sold my body several times to the priests and templars in this room."

“Lead the way, Luca.”

“Yes!”

Luca nods enthusiastically and starts guiding us. While following her, I pay close attention to any presence nearby.

“...it’s so quiet.”

A fort of that size should have been teeming with people. Yet we do not encounter a single soul.

At the end of a corridor lined with imposing marble columns we find a large door.

“What…the…”

The unspeakable view before the door left Luca speechless. Myla too swallows her breath, incapable of uttering a sound.

The mausoleum, which hosts the tombs of local lords and priests, has turned into a mountain of rubble and debris, which fill the massive room.

***

1 hour earlier.

"Why it is hard to breathe in here? Is this tower a demonic lair?" Soraya hugs herself and slightly trembles. 

"What do you feel, Soraya?" Lyla, the only person who is chained to heavy metal ball is sitting helplessly.

"I don't know. Once upon a time, I was imprisoned by church. This is the same feeling, no...it feels even more sinister."

Meanwhile, Nina's trembling is even worse. She is holed at the corner of the prison room and closes her ears with both hands. Her trembling is worse than Soraya's.

"Help...please help me...sister Luca!"

Soraya and Lyla looks at each other. Lyla moves to the cowering girl and put her hand on her curly hair.

"Soraya, you are real witch, aren't you? Please use your magic to help us escape from here. Before it's too late."

Nina grabs Soraya's hands and pleads with her face very close to Soraya's.

As Soraya remains tight lipped, Nina pushes her down and moves to the door.

"It's all your fault. Since we met all of you, we never stopped running into trouble!"

She resumes her complaint,

"Why is this happening to me?"

She looks back at the two girls but they remain silent.

Nina then kneels down and grabs Soraya's and Lyla's hands.

"I am sorry. Forgive me for always being useless."

Nina cries.

Suddenly, there is a sound of metal clanking. Two men are outside the cell. The door opens.

One tall man and one short man. Both are wearing masks. They are servants of Cardinal Mozgus.

"Women. One of you, get out with us!" The short man orders.

He grabs Lyla's hand and pulls her up. 

She struggles as one of her leg is chained to a heavy metal ball. 

"Stop right there!"

Before Soraya could say further, he slaps her to the ground.

He pulls Lyla to the opened door and the stops.

"Ah, never mind.I take you."

He pushes Lyla away an points to Nina who is standing still.

"You... Your friends are taken away but you didn't do anything. You only think of yourself. I hate coward like you!"

He pulls Nina.

"Iyaaa. You are wrong. I am not like that!" 

Nina is out and the door is closed.

Nina is handcuffed by a rope. Behind and before her are the two masked men. They walk along the corridor slowly.

Nina mutters to herself,

"Why? Is it my fault? I didn't do anything because I was too scared. Even though I am a dirty woman, I am trying to abandon good women like them."

"We received a report that there is a real witch during the commotion in heretics' lair. So, one of the three of you... must be the witch."

The short masked man says.

"They're talking about the sorceress, Soraya. If I tell them everything, I will be safe. But..."

Luca's brave face suddenly appears in her mind.

"No. I can't do that. Please, sister Luca. Give me just a little of your courage."

They reach a door at the end of the corridor after passing two doors.

Strong odor escapes from the opened door and Nina is pulled in. 

Her eyes go wide and she immediately steps backward but is blocked by the taller masked man.

"Walk, woman!"

She is being forced to walk between the gore environment.

Everywhere men and women are being tortured. 

Some lost their limb. Some are being burnt or stabbed with hot metal rods. There are various tormenting tools. 

"No...Aaa!"

"Now, walk, woman!"

***

1 hour later 

I am Paul Tarsus, a bishop of trinity church,  a man in service to Tower of Albion.

We are now on the top floor of the tower of Albion, one of the most iconic monument for trinity church and Olga Federation's precious treasure, also known as Albion - Divine tower of the Emperor”. The place used by the founding father of Olga as a base  to annihilate the surrounding countries and establish an empire. A place decades ago  turned into holy place for trinity church.

I myself used to serve the lord of Albion before they were ravaged by Negara invasion.

Eight months have passed since Negara invasion, and refugees flock to here. Albion is less attractive for refugees as more of them flock to Redcliffe and other places. Probably due to church and templars. However, the number still reach several dozens of thousands.

The end must be near for the federation…

I stroke my white beard and sighs, careful not to let others hear me.

I was brought up as a trinity priest but entered local lord's service around ten years ago.

I could get many things by abusing church's influence but I desire actual political power. That's why I got into the local lord's house. 

I believe I could climb further to even central authority of Olga, believing no country could come close to Olga, not even church.

To think a barbaric country like Negara could ruin it to such extent, or did various battle with surrounding counties weaken it to that state?

There is no point in sinking together with this ship. I should gather as much money as I can and rejoins the rank of church or maybe other kingdoms.

But what transpired just now changed everything.

Cardinal Mozgus bit me and when I thought I was dead, I recovered. 

What's that creature with wings? The creature with wings descent and bit the cardinal and his underlings. Was that an angel?

No. It was ugly as monsters. 

Then, they started biting men. 

I was one of the final victim.

It seemed the bitten men became physically powerful and desire blood.

Am I going to be like that as well?

No. Impossible. I have ambition. Money. Woman. I won't become monsters like the crazy men!

“You sure sound in high spirits, old man.”

“W-What!?”

The door opens before me, revealing a group of seven. Among them, a face I recognize.

“L..Luca…! Why are you here…!?”

"Why? Aren't you happy seeing the girl you took virginity and slept several times?" The whore, Luca grins.

“...to bring an end to everything. Please do not resist, Paul Tarsus.” Luca shouts.

“Oh, so this is Paul Tarsus? Albion’s head priest, right?”

“W-Who are you supposed to be!?”

A sexy woman is standing next to the whore — though she looks more like a beast, with bare fangs and all. Even if I have little to no martial expertise, I could tell that I am face to face with a monster.

But this woman wears revealing armour that exposes her cleavage, navel area and thighs. Her short blond hair. I feel aroused but something else triggers.

Her skin seems tasty an irresistible. Is this lust? Libido?

No. It's slowly turning into something else.

I instinctively lick my lip.

I see the blood under her skin. Is this imagination?

"Hey, stop right there, old man!" Another woman warns me and raises her weapon.

But that doesn't stop me.

I walk and suddenly jump to bite the sexy girl.

"Be careful. He is like the man eating heretics. He is going to bite and suck your blood!" A black haired girl in strange revealing cloth yells.

"We know, Kurotsuchi!"

The girl is Kurotsuchi? But I need the blond girl!

"Clementine!" 

Oh, the blond girl is Clementine. Her blood is mine!

Several templars who are blood-thirsty like me appear behind me.

“Attack!! Kill them all!!” I bark.

“Perfect, a skirmish before the real battle against the top leaders. Let’s do this!” A tall beauty yells and kicks my shoulder.

Clementine stabs my neck.

But my hunger is still unstoppable. I grab her shoulders which stuns her.

"Doesn't die even after stabbing his neck. They are not zombies!"

She yells and kicks my chest.

I am being thrown away before rising to my feet.

"They are not as deadly and infectious as zombies. But they are more agile and resilient."

Kurotsuchi utters before cutting the advancing templars.

"Fight!" A long blond haired woman yells and points her sword at us.

2