Chapter 244: End of Miracles
143 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Look above!"

Luca shouts and points to the sky.

"Servers of God. You have naught to fear. As long as your heart is pure, God will bestow you miracles. See me as I am now. This is God's miracle!"

Mozgus is flying with a lost limb replaced by a long tentacle. He is looking more and more like a monster.

What I am doing here? But I can't reach him.

"This won't do. I will bestow punishment!"

Mozgus flies downward. 

Oh, no. He is heading towards Sekrit.

"Sekrit!"

Sekrit dodges and cut him but he lands near her.

"Oi. Help me here. I am still fighting these refugees!" Sekrit yells.

I climb onto the only constructed room on the rooftop. 

Amber stands before the monster with her sword pointing upward to protect the busy Sekrit and Clementine.

"I am God's.."

I jump from above and pierce Mozgus's chest.

He grabs me and throws me away.

Mozgus's body is slowly turning grey, his wings grow several folds. His lost limb grow..no, both hands turn into something gigantic.

His head and body becomes bloated. 

He is turning into metal statue that resembles nothing like human.

"You who don't fear God will swiftly receive divine punishment!"

He takes out something. It is a book. 

"This is a Bible from trinity church."

The book has deep hole on it. I see. My thrust just now didn't touch his heart but was blocked by that book.

"This is what saved me from your impure blade. As long I hold this scripture, harming my body is impossible! I shall tear you limb to limb!"

Before he could say further, my blade hit him but it is as if hitting a rock. His skin is hard.

The two gigantic hands then diverge into dozens of hands. 

The hands punch me from both directions.

Damn, it's really painful but...

I withstand the pain and inhale my breath. I pierce his large mouth with the broadsword.

"I will shut that talkative mouth of yours so that you won't utter that stupid sermon anymore."

"This is not enough to cut through the armour bestowed to me by God."

The thrust really hurt him but his mouth seems to be hard too.

"Kuro. Kunai. His eyes!"

"Hiro-sama!"

Soon, a dagger flies from behind me into Mozgus's left eye.

"Argggggg!!!"

He shrieks in pain.

"If you want to appease your God so much, why not split your head open and offer it up!" I bellow.

I thrust into his mouth but the many hands punch me away.

It feels like being punched by boulder but I have discovered something. There is a hole with blood flowing from it. The hole on his chest. 

The one being stabbed when he was still in human form.

"Kuro-chan. Stand behind me with the bomb. He has a hole!"

"I am right behind you, Hiro-sama!"

"What are you talking about, demon!"

Mozgus keeps punching me and I just block them with the large sword. Many of the punches land on my body.

Finally, he makes a big hammering attack downward.

"Kuro!!!"

Kurotsuchi leaps past me and insert the bomb into the opening before throwing her body to bring me away from him.

"What did you ..."

Big explosion erupts from his chest.

The hard skin on his chest starts to crumble and blood flow unstoppably. 

I dash and pierce into that opening.

I pull the blade out as he screams.

I make two swing to cut open the hole so that it becomes bigger.

"Arggg!"

I pierce again an this time deeper.

Kurotsuchi approaches him again and insert another bomb into the enlarged hole.

Using the blade pierced deep into his body, I lift him up and throw him away from the rooftop.

In the mid air, another big explosion erupts and he falls in high speed.

The fortress has five levels or about 60 meters height.

He crashes to the rocky ground and stops moving. 

Flame erupts from his body.

"Ooo.. This is getting out of hands. More of these crazy refugees are filling up this rooftop!"

Most of the Templars are defeated.

There are less than twenty of us remaining and assemble near the edge of the rooftop.

"What are we going to do now?"

"Rowan. What are you looking at?" Farnese asks her bodyguard.

Rowan points at below.

There are still hundreds of refugees alive on the ground and they are closely assembled at Mozguz's burning corpse.

The violent refugees can't approach the bright area.

"It seems they are bad against sunlight or fire!" Soraya shouts.

"If you don't want to die, pick up one of these planks." 

I throw many wooden planks at them. We lit fire on them using lighters.

We pick up and point at the advancing refugees.

"It works!"

"Do it until dawn!"

It seems Farnese has picked up the fiery sticks but is hesitating.

"It is impossible. It's... like a nightmare. Is this reality?"

A mad refugee jumps at her but I cut him.

Looking down at the kneeling noble girl, I scold her, "if you don't want to die, do something!"

"Oh, no. They are coming from everywhere!"

"Stop talking. Just raise the fire!"

I glance again at the weak link, Farnese clasps her hands as if praying.

I bark at her, "Don't pray! If you pray, your hands are closed. Your stick will fall down!"

Hours pass and dawn arrives. 

The mad refugees and knights are running away and turning into smoke. 

We descend to the ground.

There are still many thousands of refugees who are still alive but not even five of templars survive. 

Many parts of the fortress have crumbled.

"Those who have faith in the religion an fled to the holy tower were killed while those who lack faith and abandon the holy land were safe. It's ironic!" Rowan says while kicking some rubbles.

"Refugees!" I call the remaining people from a hill.

Everybody assemble around the hill. 

Farnese, Rowan and three templars are also on the hill. The former prostitutes, Luca, Nina, Lucy and Pepe are with us. Lyla is still unconscious but lying here. Myla, Clementine, Sekrit, Amber, Soraya and Kurotsuchi are on the hill.

"I am King Hiro of Hezri Kingdom!"

Hearing my declaration, Farnese's eyes go wide. So does Rowan and the prostitutes.

"My country is located at Redcliffe. We had just taken thousands of refugees from Olga. If you want place to live, follow me to my country!"

***

It has been two weeks since the tragedy at Albion. Our movement is very slow due to the large number of refugees with us. There are over a thousand refugees walking between the border of Dioral and former Olga.

We have to frequently stop. I use the gold coins we carry to buy food from villages along the way. 

Farnese and Rowan parted way with us when got into Dioral. 

Sitting on the grass, we are now discussing our progress.

Luca with Lucy beside her, asks,"I wonder how long before we reach the destination, I wonder. I think these people would be hard pressed."

"We just need to reach my territory, northern western Dioral." Myla answers.

Silence envelopes us for a while as we observe the refugees wandering and resting. 

Clementine sit cross-legged in front of me out of nowhere. As she wrests a thermos from Luca and drinks it, she mutters,

"I bet none of them will ever feel like praying again "

Luca tidies the place where we had our lunch and retorts,

"That's not entirely true. Trying hard to survive is different from trying to escape. Survivors did what they had to do to live, without their surroundings interfering. I don't know what God thinks but I believe God left human enough free will to do what they desire."

Everyone returns to silence, maybe seeing on  what Luca has said.

I smile to Luca and explain,

"Our country practice different religion from the trinity church. I name them as Ebionite. All the churches in Redcliffe, Hinterland and North western Dioral cannot practice Trinity religion anymore. They now preach Ebionite."

Luca, Lucy, Pepe and Nina look at me in confusion. 

"Ebionite?" Pepe asks.

I smile and explain further, 

"Is is basically the same belief as the church, except confusion is removed. Rather than belief in three gods as in trinity, Ebionite strictly pray to one God only. And Ebionite don't report to central church and reject their scripture as those have been corrupted. A simple religion actually."

The four girls seem interested so we talk about Ebionite for quite some time.

***

3