Chapter 74: Deception
394 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What? A messenger from Marquis Brumerush?”

“Yes, what shall we do?”

Early morning. Just before he could give orders to start the attack on Fort Lassic, Leonas receives an unsettling report.

“I cannot send him away, can I? Have him come to my tent.”

“Certainly, My lord.”

“Do not let your guard down, though. Have a number of knights present.”

“Naturally. We will guard you no matter what, my Lord.”

After the knight left, Leonas crosses his arms and started thinking.

(What does he want, at a time like this? Since it’s Brumerush, It can’t be anything right, but…)

Leonas had discussed with his close retainers the matter of Brumerush’s possible collusion with Arkland just the night before. For Brumerush to send a messenger right after that seems far too timely — or so Leonas couldn’t help but conjecture.

“Hopefully, it’s not bad news.”

A vain hope: Leonas himself has a vague feeling of dread about the situation, as drops of sweat lined his back.

Eventually, a single man appears before him.

“Are you Brumerush’s messenger?”

Leonas, sitting on his chair, questions the knight kneeling before him. The middle-aged man, his breastplate decorated with the West Hills autonomic region’s crest, has entrusted his sword to one of Leonas’ retainers and is now on his knees before Leonas, unarmed.

The knights and other retainers surround him with stern, intimidating expressions.

“Yes, Lord Marquis! We humbly bring wishes and felicitations upon my lird, Marquis Leonas Bryland, and…”

“Cut the pleasantries and get to the point!”

The struggle against Arkland left Leonas all but jolly: the knight’s formal greeting sounds like mockery to his ears.

“Certainly! Allow me to relate Marquis Brumerush’s message.”

The knight, his head still down, pauses for a moment and continues.

“We have been informed that in the assault on Fort Lassic’s eastern walls, guarded by Duke David Lassic, Marquis Raeven’s and Marquis Bryland's troops has suffered severe losses. Marquis Brumerush thus proposes to send part of his faction’s troops as reinforcements.”

“Hmm…we are cornered to the point we must seek the his assistance. Is that what you are saying?”

Leonas’ expression twists in indignation. His situation is surely not favourable, but to be offered reinforcements by his political rival is simply repulsive.

“I implore you to calmly consider the situation, my lord. We are allies in this war against Arkland. I am well aware of how this proposal might sound to you, My Lord, but this is the time for us to join hands, is it not?”

“........”

Leonas would welcome reinforcements with open arms in this situation — unless they came from the Marquis Brumerush. In the worst-case scenario, it could mean inviting misfortune among his men.

Leonas glances at his retainers, which react to the situation in various different ways. Some of them express displeasure, others seem to view the proposal as worth considering.

“My Lord, Marquis Brumerush’s proposal is nothing but a boon for our army. I believe we should accept it.”

The first one to speak was Loghain Mac Tir. The previous king's advisor, “Hero of Ferelden” suggests they accept the proposal, a vaguely smug look on Leonas's face.

However —

“No, we cannot possibly accept!!”

“Exactly! To borrow the Brumerush’s help would be a knight’s shame!!”

“Our forces will be more than enough to crush a country noble like David Lassic!!”

“W-What nonsense!! Why should we refuse reinforcements!?”

The tide turns completely against Loghain. Even the knights who seem to consider accepting the reinforcements now argue vehemently against it.

All the retainers present have participated in the secret meeting with Leonas the night before. They suspect Loghain is a traitor and would oppose any of his opinions, regardless of their validity.

On the other hand, Loghain is utterly unaware of such a background, and looks at the knights with visible confusion. All of them, Leonas excluded, look back at him with brimming hostility.

Loghain, realizing they might have found out about his scheme, becomes panic internally.

“..hmm, I see.”

After listening to all opinions, Leonas makes his decision.

“I am grateful for Brumerush’s concern, but I shall decline. To borrow the his assistance in this situation would tarnish our authority.”

“...!! Your Highness!! We should— ”

“Count Loghain!! You dare question Marquis’ decision!?”

“Remember your station, former commoner!!”

“Kh…!!”

Loghain tries protesting, but is silenced by the other retainers.

(You idiots…!! Armed boars without an ounce of strategy in your heads…!!)

Loghain curses them in his heart, but could only retract his objections. He has mastered the art of war since through countless battles, so he sees knights who have established their positions only through noble background as simpletons. For his opinion to be so thoroughly rejected by them is the epitome of humiliation.

“Duly acknowledged, my lord…I suppose there is no other way.”

The messenger sighs, disappointed.

“Correct. Give my greetings to Brumerush.”

“Certainly, my lord…”

The messenger bows obsequiously once more, then heads towards the tent’s entrance. The meeting is over, so the knights and retainers breath a sigh of relief.

That very same moment —

“!?!”

A loud, crashing sound is heard outside the tent. It sounds just like something has crumbled: all the people inside the tent turn towards the direction of the source.

“ —Rest in peace!”

The very instant the attention of all present is directed outside, the man acts.

The messenger draws the short sword he has concealed in his sleeves and jumps towards Leonas.

“!! Marquis!!”

“Ghah!?”

The retainers shout — one moment too late.

The merciless white blade has already pierced Leonas’ body.

3