Chapter 77: Woes of a Marquis
351 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Brumerush and Bryland factions are fighting fiercely — against each other. The Arkland forces then joins the fray, plunging the battlefield into complete chaos.

Watching it all unfold from a distance, Marquis Raeven sighs.

“How…how utterly foolish. Those are the two great Nobles, supposed to shoulder the future of Ferelden…?”

He, Elias Dale Raeven, has the position of Marquis of Edgehall, one of the six Great nobles.

The late King, Maric Theirin was an old friend of his: he was one of his first retainer. After joining the rebellion against the puppet king, Raeven's father and Raeven fought with all they had for the sake of the new Ferelden, competing in achievements with warriors such as Rendorn Guerrin and Loghain Mac Tir, the man who would be later hailed as hero.

Raeven was at Maric’s side in his last moments: before he went on board the ship in navy battle against Federation, he gave him a final message — or should he say, his will.

“Please protect my daughter Ferelden…and assist the son who will inherit the throne.”

(In the end, he could not fulfill either promise. Ferelden is in such state and the nobles are plotting against the King…)

“You seem to be terribly downhearted, dear marquis Raeven.”

“...Duke David Lassic.”

As Raeven is watching the chaotic battlefield, David Lassic approaches him. 

He had grown past his memories of him, now his blond hair is resembling his late mother, King Maric's sister more and more. His height is over 180cm, his herculean body and at peak physical condition of nearly thirty years old. His hand carries a very large bastard sword. His bellicose spirit, however, is as bright as ever: the thirst for battle in his eyes and the hand that clenches his broadsword is clear, as he looks at the fighting soldiers.

“Marquis Raeven, are you not going to assist Leonas and Brumerush? At this rate, Arkland is going to trample all over both of them.”

“...after receiving something like this, how could I?”

David Lassic has presented him evidences. Brumerush has sent documents and received money from several kingdoms. Eamon Guerrin has secretly conspired with Leonas Bryland to gather soldiers to attack Denerim. 

"Duke. Are these truth?"

David Lassic smiles fiercely and raises his giant sword,

"Those fact are truth. I swear on my bastard sword."

“I see…if you say you swear on your sword, that has to be the truth.”

Raeven abandons all hope and his shoulders drop.

If Arkland is defeated, Redcliffe and South Reach factions will attack royal palace at Denerim. If Arkland wins, David Lassic won't attack Denerim and other Noble's demesne. Arkland also has perfect plan to kill another opportunist, Bann Amaranthine when he reaches area around Oswin Village. With Lassic and Arkland's continued existence, the cunning schemer Lubreo Lambert will always have to be alert on Arkland and cannot focus on disturbing Ferelden. Therefore, David Lassic and Arkland Dukedom's existence is beneficial to Marquis Raeven and Ferelden.

“...we Raeven faction will now withdraw. Should either Leonas or Brumerush survive, and then defeat Arkland ? Or will Lubreo prevails once the three are weakened after this war? I cannot tell anymore. May the heavens decide their fate.”

“I believe that is a wise decision, Marquis Raeven. I shall take my leave, then.”

“Wait. You too are going to fight against the Ferelden?”

David Lassic heads for the battlefield, but Raeven stops him. He was born and raised in Ferelden and his mother was former king's sister, how could he turn against his homeland? Without a shred of hesitation?

“Do you truly need to ask? I am protector of Arkland , nothing more than a lance in the people's arsenal. Does a lance choose the target it will pierce?”

“...You have no doubts, I see. I envy you, Duke.”

Marquis Raeven truly does, from the bottom of his heart. How wonderful would it be to be able to fight the enemy without a second thought, just like this man.

He was an ambitious man before — since when have he been plagued by these unnecessary grievances?

“I suppose it is not possible once you start having children. I always hated that kind of thing, that’s why I decided to become a solo.”

While saying that, Duke David Lassic walks steadily downhill. Raeven watches his back with battlefield as the background. His big sword is on the ground, being pulled while he strides. The wind blows his mantel to the side. 

The strongest warrior in Ferelden.... Those words immediately come to his mind after watching him.

David Lassic rushes to the battlefield without looking back.

3