Chapter 88: Brandon Lassic
382 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"My Lord. They are nowhere to be found." The baron returns after searching the surrounding areas.

"..." Margrave Bryce Cousland doesn't reply.

"How they did that?" A lower noble asks.

"We indeed saw them standing there, then suddenly disappeared." Another noble adds.

"How in the world?"

"...." Bryce Cousland is in deep thought. 

"Could it be..... As sorcery?" A noble voices his opinion.

"It's unthinkable but that's the only justifiable cause."

"....."

"Magic, huh..... But the those people were wearing Arkland uniform."

"My loooooord!!!" A knight is running to them.

"Oi, what happens?"

The Knight doesn't say anything except pointing backward.

They look beyond him.

A group of over 100 men on horse are approaching. They are Arkland knights.

"Men. Ready."

A man descends from a large house. 

His left hand holds a sword and his right hand holds a large shield. 

It is a familiar face that he met twice before.

The best shield wielder in Ferelden. The Duke's brother. Margrave Brandon Lassic.

"So, the famous man is invading helpless villages. How low you guys have fallen?"

Brandon Lassic says while walking to just before Bryce Cousland.

"Spare me words. Truth shall be decided by action."

Bryce attacks him.

Brandon blocks with his shield and his sword thrusts forward.

Bryce is forced to step backward to evade that.

The exchange blows in the same manner for minutes; Bryce attacks, Brandon blocks using shield and counter attack using sword. 

Bryce has been retreating . Afterwards, three slashes finds his Bryce's body, inflicting no critical wounds. 

No matter how strong and skillful Bryce is, Brandon overwhelms him by advancing defence.

Meanwhile, he notices Arkland knights are overwhelming his men. 

Fighting that line woman today actually has affected them. They are exhausted or wounded. 

Against his opponent, he is being continuously pushed back. 

Bryce changes tactic. He kicks the shield and attempts to punch the face of his foe. 

He blocks, evades and counter attacks but Bryce manages to lands an attack. His blade slightly touches Brandon arm.

"This is becoming interesting." Brandon grins.

***

Two days later at a village in Arkland.

"Where did they go? It has been three days." Ivanna yells during breakfast.

"Don't worry. Mirai is with them." Kurotsuchi eats nonchalantly. Despite looking composed, she is actually worried.

Sylvia, Selene and Hanabi eats their meals quietly.

Three days ago, Hiro took two horses and went on a journey with the other three girls.

He promises to be back by the next day. 

But they didn't return on the promised day.

They still didn't return at the end of the next day. 

Something must have happened. They pray nothing too bad happens to them.

After breakfast, washing dishes and cloths, they are just sitting anxiously in the small house rented from the villagers.

"So, what's the plan?" Sylvia asks.

Ivanna answers, we will cross to more territories. The villagers have spare horses, so I bought them. We will go deeper into Ferelden. It seems there is a war within Ferelden. Arkland sought independence from Ferelden."

As they are having conversation, someone call them from far.

Kurotsuchi jumps happily from to outside.

"They are baaaack!"

Ivanna and others run towards them.

"Idiots. Where have gone to?" Ivanna mutters happily.

They stop in their track when they notice a tall woman with a spear on her back is walking with Hiro side by side.

When Hiro reaches her, Ivanna slaps his face, he simply says,

"Sorry."

The tall girl introduces herself as Irijina and explains how they have saved her life. 

Irijina will follow them from now onwards. 

Having a Ferelden citizen in their party is a good thing actually, as they plan to stick to this country for longer period.

***

Marquis Urovarna observes the battlefield. They have been fighting for two days.

He notices the federation forces only get into little skirmish before retreating. Then, they attack in the same manner. They don't really invade. They are not willing to risk too many lives. 

They just skillfully makes  Ferelden commit to keep them at bay. 

The reason is probably to drag some of Ferelden forces spread thin so that Arkland will face lesser threat.

As he is observing, suddenly the Federation forces retreat unusually. Unlike usual push and fall back, this time, they simply walk away without fighting. 

They stop fighting without feigning.

"My lord."

A lower noble run to his side.

"Oh, it's you. Report .. what happen at Fort Lassic?"

"Arkland had repelled us our invasion. Margrave Bryce Cousland was defeated but still alive. Marquis Eamon Guerrin, his brother Count Teagan Guerrin and his sons died. Marquis Bann Amaranthine was killed. Marquis Raeven and Marquis Brumerush escaped with their life in tact. Count Loghain Mac Tir joined Marquis Leonas Bryland to beat Duke David Lassic in two versus one battle but the Duke is alive. As Ferelden force in Fort Lassic and borders were totally defeated, they withdrew. The King declared our defeat after consulting with surviving great nobles."

Urovarna sighs. It seems there are to big big changes in Ferelden.

3