Chapter 129: Deception
208 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I return to the store and proceed to confirm what had been damaged or lost.

I ask Sylvia to let the neighboring shop owners that we had been robbed, and had him contact the town guard as well.

Before the guards arrive, I need to confirm the opponents move, and whether or not they would fall for the trap that I had set.

Thankfully they had stolen some of the more expensive looking materials I had bought for creating magic items.

With this, I could determine the location of the robbers, even if only temporarily.

If I am the sorceress, and they are my trusted subordinates, I would have told them to return everything to their original positions.

If they aren’t my subordinates, then I know there would be no meaning in my words because no thief would leave valuables behind.

So it is natural to believe that she has allowed them to take small jewels and materials to avoid them taking anything important that would result in dire consequences.

Lyla seems genuinely concerned.

But the magic pendant on her chest is definitely a magic object by the sorceress to spy on us.

….What to do.

"Yeah, I’m at a loss for words. I guess the silver lining is that it happened while the two of us were gone…"

Apparently, Lyla had been on patrol in the city when she coincidentally crossed paths with Sylvia, and the two of them had called for the guards together. I asked Sylvia to take care of administrative things while I tend to Lyla.

… This conversation is most likely being overheard by that sorceress.

"Lyla, do you happen to know about anything? Something about this whole thing seems strange."

"Strange how?"

How much would I reveal? How much would I be able to nullify the power of the spying magic?

My mind races as I speak.

"None of the things that were stolen were of much value… not to say that I’m not thankful but…"

I explain to her that nothing big has been stolen, and it isn’t as though they took much with them either.

Lyla answers after thinking for a little bit.

"Maybe they didn’t know the value of the things they stole. I’m sure it’s hard to determine the worth of something if you are not familiar with some items, and it is difficult to sell off things that are too big. Not to mention it’s easier to locate the originator if it is large."

Hmmm, so Lyla seems to understand that much.

Because of her situation, she seems to know enough to predict what is going on behind the scenes.

That made things easier for me to lead her on.

I would glean information from her by talking to her from the position of a person who knows about magic but has no idea what is going on beneath the surface.

That is what I want the person on the other side of the eye to believe.

… Hmmm in that case…

"Speaking of which, Lyla, did something good happen to you recently? I haven’t seen you wear that pendant before?"

Lyla responds shyly,

"It is a gift from my master. He tells me to send it back to him time to time, so I’m sure its significant."

There is no doubt that it had been the sorceress’s suggestion if Lubreo had told Lyla to keep it.

"Hmmm… I’m not certain because we don’t deal with these kinds of items, but I think it’s a magic pendant that allows the user to see whatever is reflected in the jewel."

"What?"

"I’m not 100% certain, but I feel some faint magic coming from it."

I say while gazing intently at the pendant, as though I have never seen anything like it.

My skills in deceit have improved if I say so myself.

It seems what I have said had struck a chord with Lyla, as she begins to blush…

"Lyla, do you happen to bathe with this pendant on…?"

"… My master only told me to wear this while I was patrolling… I was careless…"

I have hit the nail on the head.

She seems to believe someone she knows to possess magical ability had made this pendant so that her master could peek in her. Rather than being angry, she seems to be pleased by that?

But judging by this reaction, does Lyla not harbor any ill will towards Lubreo?

It would be simple if I could just ask her, but we aren’t yet on close enough terms.

Lyla returns home later looking troubled.

But I am cheered up by the thought that I had complicated things for the sorceress a little bit.

2