Chapter 141: Nanny, Whitney
255 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyla has been staying with me for seven days.

"Hello, Master Hiro……? Milady Lyla……?"

It is a slightly familiar voice. I think it is Lyla’s nanny. 

"Milady has returned. It has been a busy day for you too, Master Hiro."

I think her name is Whitney. Even though she is in her early sixties, she doesn’t use any walking supports. She looks well despite seemingly having some trouble walking. Apparently, this old woman has been taking care of Layla since childhood.

"Granny, what’s wrong?"

Lyla asks somewhat quickly. Her face turns red, perhaps remembering what had happened in the room. Only then had I realize the change in her tone when she speaks with Miss Whitney.

As a knight, she speaks in a masculine manner so as not to sound weird…… Or rather, her speech mannerisms are very proper, but her occasional feminine way of speaking is more obvious now.

……Miss Whitney must be the closest thing to a parent for Lyla, since she had lost her father and brother when she was a child. It’s no wonder she feels more comfortable speaking with her this way.

"Milady, it’s that day of the week……"

"Oh, that’s right."

Saying that, she looks at me as if she is at a loss. It’s as if she is having a dilemma. I hadn’t known her for too long, but it is easy to tell from her facial expressions.

"If you have plans, I don’t mind if you prioritize them first…… Well, I suppose it’s hard with me around here."

Lyla is here because her lord Lubreo has ordered her to guard me. 

……I don’t actually know if Soraya and Lubreo truly believe what they have chose to believe. In fact, sending Lyla to guard me may have been their way of keeping me in check.

"Is it truly an important matter?"

Miss Whitney doesn’t know any of the details, so she asks and looks at me with a concerned expression.

"Nope…… You could still do your job if I come along, right Miss Layla?"

"But to leave your shop open……"

"Don't worry. The girls are here."

After thinking for a moment, Lyla told me to accompany her to her house. She had scheduled to teach children how to read on that afternoon.

***

"Hey now, sit still during lessons. All of you are going to work hard when you grow up, alright?"

In all honesty, the commotion feels like a battlefield. The living room in Lyla’s house was so small that it would be difficult to seat ten adults there. The oldest of the children are about ten years old, while the younger ones were still unfit to help tend to the fields.

The children gather there are mostly neighbors or residents of Abram, but there were also children from poor families in the New Town (although just living there meant that they were relatively blessed). Thus, they are all normal children who knew nothing of behaving in a refined manner, let alone giving compliments.

""""""

Although there is a school owned by the Church, it cost money to send them there for education. There are not many children who had the opportunity to receive education, especially in the populated cities. Even though Abram is a large city, the rate of literacy isn’t very high.

Lyla’s lessons were centered around the Church’s teachings, but with more focus on fundamental reading and writing. Just by being able to read gives these children more possibilities in the future. Even though it’s just their very first steps, their parents are paying a minimal fee for it, so they really appreciate it.

Also, I had thought about this as well. Although Lyla is a stickler, she’s not the type to be so inflexible to apply the rules to every single thing. Perhaps because she’s also honest and straightforward, or perhaps because of her personality, the children here love her as well.

From their point of view, I was an intruder to them, so they kept giving me curious stares. There were a few times when they asked me specifically if I am Lyla’s boyfriend, but I just laughed it off. I am a thick-skinned merchant after all…… Although by the time Lyla finished her lessons, her face was completely red.

"Do you plan on settling here in Abram, Master Hiro?"

Lyla's nanny, Whitney asks me when she finished preparing food for the children.

"Well, considering the trade routes, it may be good to expand my business into other cities…… So yes, I’m thinking about expanding to this town.."

Engaging in small talk is a basic skill for merchants. Besides, this old woman taking care of Lyla is a good person. Entertaining her takes some time, but not much effort.

"It may be insensitive for me to ask you such things, but milady seems to have taken an interest in you."

She giggles. Well, she does have a long history with Layla. I’m sure that even if Lyla knew how to hide things better, Whitney would have seen through her anyway.

"But she is a knight, and her birthright and upbringing may be that of a commoner. With all these things considered……"

"She could just quit being a knight. Of course, I won’t force her……"

I am probably the only one who hear her whispering.

"……Miss Whitney, why would you say that?"

"Milady wishes to remove the stain on her late father’s name. That’s why she’s clinging to her status as a knight, despite her displeasure of fighting. However, it is difficult for a woman to gain recognition on the battlefield."

Lyla wlis looking at each of the children surrounding her. Whitney looks at her in extreme pity, then continues.

"Getting married is necessary for a government official, but…… Even for an old woman like me who doesn’t understand complicated issues, I do know that no one will take milady as a wife since she has neither status nor land…… Of course, there are those who become knights by marrying into an established family."

She smiled faintly because Lyla herself had rejected such an offer.

"In my opinion, being a knight doesn’t necessarily lead to happiness for milady. That’s why…… if only she could find happiness, even if she abandons her duty as a knight, or even her house…… That’s just what I think."

That’s right. Lyla truly desires to remain as a knight, to defend her honour, and to re-establish her house. Such is the curse that keeps her tied down. That must also be why this old woman finds herself unable to say such things to Lyla.

"Is that why you’re telling me all this?"

Yes, Whitney is unable to change Lyla’s mind. That’s why she has been waiting for an outsider like me.

……I may not be able to fulfil her expectations though.

"Yes. You are one of the very few gentlemen milady is comfortable with…"

The old woman giggles. She seems a lot more fun-loving than Lyla.

"Getting involved with someone like me will only result in her unhappiness……"

"Oh my, that’s not for gentlemen to decide. After all, it is only the woman in question who has the right to decide her own happiness."

That is when the lessons are over, and our conversation comes to a halt.

2