Chapter 171: Brainwashing Eyes
219 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Selena projects Kurotsuchi's view to the wall in the room. 

I could see the church’s tower, and a single open window. An old, bearded man with an eye patch is aiming a large ballista. The arrow equipped on it doesn’t have a normal colour. It must have been enchanted with some sort of magic. …No ordinary mercenary could obtain such a thing.

"Hey! Don’t you dare shoot!"

Kurotsuchi shouts purposefully to divulge her location. The sniper with an eye patch grumbles and turns to her. This is bad… Kurotsuchi is making herself the bait.

As she runs along the wall, the man let go of the ballista and throws a concealed dagger. …He is quick on his feet. Shock, then pain.

Kurotsuchi evades and looses her balance, and her kunai misses the window where the sniper was, crashing against the wall directly below it.

The pain is coming from her right leg. He had accurately thrown the knife at where Kurotsuchi is holding her kunai. Because of it, her larger legs are unscathed. She could still get away.

Our vision shifts, and I could tell that Kurotsuchi is running towards the hidden side of the church to get out of the sniper’s field of view. Her injury isn’t anything to ignore, but she is well on her way out. 

The tiny room is rocking, and the cheers are pouring in through the walls that aren’t exactly thick, along with the continuous screams and yelling. It isn’t over. At that moment, a thunderous roar echoes  as it shakes violently.

***

(Back Alley in Abram City)

The only threat around are the hidden assassin and the two women in front of her. She doesn't know them but Soraya assumes the women knows about Eyes' Ability as they seems avoiding direct eye contact with her. It is a loss that her trump card has been countered, but she has to count her losses as she doesn’t end up in her bodyguard's shoes. He is a rare piece of her game, but not irreplaceable.

"Think, think think… How are you going to get out of this? Can you count on anyone to swoop in and save you?"

The short blond hair playfully asks her.

She is trying to extract some information. Soraya is under no obligation to answer anything. In fact, it is proof that they don’t have all the answers about Soraya that they want.

Soraya was borne with these dangerous eyes. She studied magic under tutelage of two sorcerers but all she could master were is magical arrow and reconnaissance spell. She also could enchant magic on tools but limited to spells that she has mastered. What elevates her from the rest of magical practitioners is her eyes.

"I don’t need to answer your questions nor get away from here."

Not accurate. But right now, it isn’t a lie, either. If things continue according to plan, there would be a big shift soon.

With no movement, incantation or any prior indication, two magical arrows are shot. Those aren’t as powerful as it could be, but it could serve as diversions. The blond woman's robe is tossed in the air, hiding her for an instance.

The tall brown skinned woman behind the blond woman dashes.

Soraya looks to her left, right and above as she slides back a step. No matter where they are, all Soraya needs is eye contact.

The magical arrow was blocked gauntlets by the blond woman crossing both her arms in front of her chest, she leaps, straight towards Soraya. She thrusts her fist, but hit an invisible wall created by a magic tool Soraya prepared beforehand.

The common sense of this world is magical practitioners are poor in close combat, thus to overcome that, they take precautionary measures like this tool in case the fight is reduced to short range.

The tall woman attacks from behind by her fist but couldn't get past the invisible barriers.

They seem to avoid making eye contact by looking to the ground. 

Soraya grins. Firstly, fighting without looking at the opponent's upper body often halves their fighting effectiveness. Secondly, it seems the two women only attack by using fists. It means they only intent to catch Soraya alive. 

Such acts raises Soraya's chance of success.

Realizing their punches won't go through, the two women leap several step backs.

Soraya finds it weird they are just standing there without doing anything. In spite of their expressions are covered by masks, Soraya's instinct tells her that the two women are grinning.

"What are they scheming?"

Thin smoke comes from below her. She becomes goggle-eyed as a round items is rolling on the street and stops at the invisible barrier, releasing white smoke. 

Her barrier could stop physical attacks but formless thing like smoke could get past it. 

She finally realizes that her body isn’t coordinating as usual. "Paralyzing smoke, damn." She curses.

Soraya now understands that her opponents, too, are trying to buy time. With time, the drug would circulate throughout her body, and Soraya would be immobile. Her opponents must have guessed that, although they don't know much of her other abilities , she is just as susceptible to unknown drug as anyone else. Her opponent aren’t wrong. Soraya don’t have much time less.

"Your Eyes… Won’t reach our eyes. We come prepared. Besides, it must hurt to move by now. You’ve fought well. Join us, and we will keep you alive." The tall woman utters in intimidating tone.

At that moment, another thunderous crash is heard from the direction of the parade. The sniper from the church had shot the stage. Soraya's plan proceeds accordingly, she slightly grins.

For an instant, the two women are distracted. That is all it takes. Soraya flows magic back into her body, and jumps. Soraya has no skill to take down an enemy with one shot. Even her magic arrows, although it could handle an ordinary soldier or two, couldn’t kill a heavily armoured knight. All she could do is deceive, manipulate, and control.

She shoots magical arrows to the women who are looking away. 

As expected of skillful fighters, they dodge them. However, avoiding the magical arrows from short range require them to look at the arrows.

Soraya takes that chance to meet their eyes simultaneously.

Soraya's eyes glow with red. Robbing her opponents of any thoughts, she executes her brainwashing. This, is Soraya’s trump card. She releases her magic, close-range.

…In that moment, the world falls silent.

2