Chapter 193: Owen and Valena
194 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We don't have the number we need. And their number keep growing every night."

"What do we do? Leave the village?"

"I don't want to think about that. This might be the last night after all."

The militiamen are unnerving. We go past them a place with many make shift barricades in front of the church. A man in his late fifties is giving instructions.

"Make sure are in their position by late evening. I don't anyone to running aimlessly by when night falls." 

A knight nervously ask him,

"Wait since evening. What do they do until dusk?"

The middle aged man answers, "Pray..for miracle."

"Mayor Murdock!"

"You. Amber. When did you came back? Is your father here?" She calls him the mayor. That means he is another important person I must make connection with.

"No. My father remain in Hinterland. But I will fight together. I bring outsiders who can help us."

Murdock looks at us one by one.

"You got weapons. Mm. Seem capable although many of you are women."

"Greetings, mayor. I am Hiro. My team will fight together with you. Hopefully, we can have long lasting relationship."

"I am grateful, comrade. The name is Murdock." We shake hands. He is strong despite his age.

"I am trying to hold us together but it is not easy." He sighs.

"Anything else we can help before dusk?" 

"Oh. Thanks for asking. We need every little weapons and armour we can get. The blacksmith Owen has kept many of them. But he refused to cooperate. He keeps asking us to save her daughter who works as a maid in the castle."

I look at Amber. She nods.

"I know Owen's house."

We quickly mount our horse and go to Owen's house in the middle of the village. 

After about fifteen minutes, we arrive at his house. It is a big wooden house that is extended to another wooden building.

"That's his workshop." Amber says while we are unmounting.

Amber leads us to the front door.

Knock. Knock.

"Go away!" A man barks from inside.

Knock. Knock.

"Curse you. Leave me in piece!" 

"Uncle. Open the door!" Amber calls.

"Eh. Who is that?"

"It's me, Amber."

"Alright. Alright. I will undo the lock. All I ask is don't make any trouble. 

We open the door and enter.

A large bearded old man is standing, looking hard-pressed.

"Eeee." Irijina yells while pinching her nose.

"What's that smell?" Ivanna also pinch her nose.

"Somebody is drinking ale non-stop." Sekrit grins.

I stride to him and offer my hand.

"My name is Hiro."

He shakes my hand, "The name is Owen. A blacksmith by profession."

Owen glances at Amber and says,

"Is there something particular that you want? I only open the door because you are Valena's best friend."

"Valena?"

"My daughter. She is one of Lady Isolde's maid. She is trapped inside the castle. No one. Noble or viscount enters the castle since last night..what happens to her. Aaaaa!"

"My wife died two years ago. Anyone. Save my daughter."

"Don't worry. I promise I will save her." I declare confidently.

He furrows his eyebrows.

"I am a just old man. What good for you to bluff me?" 

"Trust me. I will find her." I swear.

He is perplexed but still replies.

"If you will save Valena, I reopen my shop. I will give the knights the weapons and armours I have been keeping. I can do that much."

"Then. It's a deal."

Ivanna adds, "I will definitely save her..This is also my words."

"I really owe you  I have a lot to do now. If you excuse me."

Before we exit, Owen says,

"It's been so long, Hiro. I am fired up now."

He adds, "My daughter used to tell me. Something is wrong with the Jowan, the new magician hired. Lady Isolde seems to be hiding something..about that Jowan and her son Connor. I didn't believe her. Perhaps Valena is right. There is dark magic involved. I wish I listen to my daughter."

We exit and mount our horses. Owen looks at me hopefully as we are leaving his house.

As we go here and there doing errands, it is reaching evening and our stomach is still empty. 

Someone's stomach starts to make sounds.

"Whose was it?" I tease.

"Irijina. Hahaha!" Sekrit seems enjoying herself. 

Irijina blushes.

"How about we stop there?" Amber points a building on a hill.

"Let's go. I don't want us to be hungry while fighting." 

We unmount and walk to the door.

There is a signboard with words "Lloyd Tavern"; written on it.

We enter.

The girls enter first. Ivanna and me are still outside with Amber.

I ask the girls to order simple meal for us. 

Meanwhile, the three of us are having serious talk.

"Amber, you used to live in the castle since your childhood?" Ivanna asks.

"Yes. I even know a secret entry into the castle. I can sneak anytime."

"But today, we should focus on helping them fighting those evil things. I have a hunch that sneaking is bad idea as we don't know what is inside the castle now."

"Are you sure? The longer we wait, the more Valena in danger." 

"No. I believe it is not that simple. Mayor and the viscount seems to be hiding something about the castle." I give my two cents.

"If that's you say, when we are going into the castle?" Amber retaliates.

I answer, "Tomorrow. After some rest."

After a while, We had finished talking. And probably our meal is ready.

We enter.

The tavern is partly made of bricks and woods. 

Its interior is quite high class.

The girls are enjoying their meal at the bar table. The bartender is standing at the other side. 

He is clean shaved but quite chubby. There is something weird about him. He is leering to the girls' chest. That guy is a pervert. 

The three of us sit beside them. Ignoring him, we enjoy our meal.

2