Chapter 215: Night Raid
149 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hyuutia-Seraph Alliance Army, War Council

"We should fight the enemy before they enter the forest!!"

"No, it’s better to pull them into the forest and fight! We have an advantage with a familiar forest!"

The war council of the Yurest Alliance army is chaotic. But it’s not like many opinions are clashing with each other, rather only two people are speaking. The difference in plans between the two generals of equal rank, Hartonen Seraph and Myla Hyuutia, are clearly defined.

"Even if we defeat the enemy in the forest, pursuit will be difficult and we’ll allow them to escape."

"As long as defeat them, this is our land and it will be a successful defense, wouldn’t it?!"

"We would lose everything if we are defeated then. Shouldn’t we defeat the current enemy first and then harden our defenses in the forest?"

The subordinates look at each other with troubled faces. They couldn’t interrupt the debate between the two supreme commanders.

The heated discussion which sees no interruption continues for several hours and a conclusion is finally reaches by a moderator.

"First we will follow Commander Hyuutia’s opinion, lying in wait near the entrance of the forest and then ambushing the enemy……"

"And then when the enemy starts to flee, we will follow Commander Hartonen’s suggestion, to thoroughly pursue the enemy on the plains."

It is a tactic where they purposely wait at the entrance and not deep in the forest to prevent the enemy from scattering and fleeing into the forest and lure the enemy to the plains, which is more suited for pursuit.

"I am convinced……so which one of you generals will be commanding us?"

The subordinates and commanders inquire.

"I will give out orders for the defensive battle."

Myla Hyuutia replies.

"Leave the pursuit to me."

Commander Hartonen answers in a coarse voice.

"……Then in the case where the enemy performs a counteroffensive?"

"We will play it by ear depending on the situation!"

The Seraph-Hyuutia Alliance army begins their advance under the direction of both generals.

***

Night, Inside the forest, Seraph-Hyuutia Alliance Army Camp

The Dioral's soldiers are sleeping like a log. The heated battle in the afternoon drained them of their stamina and energy. If they were victorious, their moods would be up, but defeat doubles their fatigue. The ones who led those soldiers are no exceptions.

"That was……miserable, wasn’t it."

"……it is the worst result."

Both of the commanders, Myla Hyuutia and Hartonen Seraph, slump exhaustedly around the table for war council. After their defeat became definitive, the two who put so much effort into somehow avoiding a total collapse feel way more fatigued than the average soldier, but they are still keeping alert because of the heavy responsibility they carry on their shoulders.

Perhaps due to fatigue, Hartonen loosens his clothing and relaxes, showing off an undignified appearance for a general. Myla Hyuutia also removes the tight clothing covering her neck and her feminine tone of speech is no longer befitting a dignified general, as she uses her original way of speaking, but that arouses the man, Hartonen.

Myla says, "Would it be better for either one of us to take command of everything? Then, there would be no confusion."

Her voice sounds like a sigh, while Hartonen also rests his elbow on his knee and slumps his shoulders.

"You’re right. However the unification of command cannot be decided by us alone."

They aren’t competing against each other to take the command for themselves. It is quite obvious that two commanders of equal status would be inconvenient in the first place. But it was the higher-ups that appointed them and not something they could change on their own.

The female commander slouches over exhaustedly and exposes the valley of her breasts. Her breasts are undoubtedly large, so coupled with her adorableness, she often attracts the gazes of men. More so when on the battlefield, where soldiers are pent up with urges.

Hartonen's eyes have been leering at her chest for quite some time. He moves closer to the ravishing blonde haired woman.

"Hey Hyuutia, do you want to try getting intimate with me so we can heal our stress? "

"……You have wives, don’t you?"

"Don’t be so stuck-up……I do have some confidence in myself. I’ll treat you well so let’s release our pent up stress."

"I’m fine being stuck-up; I’ve been like this ever since I was born. If you want to court me, please do so after you marry me."

"I’m not trying to marry you, it will be just a one-time thing……"

Myla Hyuutia straightens her back and fixes her clothes tightly. Hartonen sighs again at the clear signs of rejection.

"It’s a night raid! The enemy’s position is unknown, but roughly from over there!!"

The two of them stand up suddenly. Myla rushes out the tent without even wearing any armor while carrying her one handed sword and large shield. Hartonen is fully equipped.

"Impossible! A night attack on our territory!?"

"Are they able to perceive our location in this forest even when it’s nighttime!?"

They rush out in a hurry, but flaming arrows are already raining on them from all directions. It appears they are already surrounded on all sides.

The arrows are not packed together densely, but the tents are going up in flames one after the other, and the arrows that fall to the ground are burning the piles of fallen leaves which welcomed the autumn season. In the eyes of the sleeping soldiers, who are fatigued, the scene is undoubtedly something from the depths of hell. Confusion arises before they could get into defensive positions and they run around in a panic, trying to escape.

"Damn, we can’t do anything with the soldiers like this! There shouldn’t be too many of them either." Hartonen curses.

"Wait. We still could turn this around." Myla interjects.

As far as she is concerned, even though they have been surrounded, the number of arrows is small and the number of enemies that come to attack them aren’t many either. If his fellow soldiers just calmed down, they should be able to defeat them.

"Let’s split up and calm the soldiers down for now! If this continues, everyone will scatter!"

The two nod at Myla’s suggestion and break up, trying to get a hold of their soldiers.

***

"You there!"

"Yessir! 100 People present!"

"There aren’t that many of them! Retreat to the west first and arrange into formation! Tell the others around you too!」

"Understood!"

The soldier runs and shouts the order, and the other nearby soldiers do the same. But when they head west, another commander stands in their way.

"What are you guys doing?!"

"We were ordered to retreat west and set up formation……_

"How could there be such an order? The enemy doesn’t have many troops. Close the distance and attack so you can break through their encirclement."

"But……"

"This is an order directly from Commander Hyuutia! Don’t grumble about something so trivial and hurry up!"

"Understood!"

Myla, understanding that the two contradicting messages led to their defeat in the earlier battle, gave out orders that Hartonen would have given and commanded the soldiers to attack so there wouldn’t be any contrasting instructions. The unfortunate thing is that Hartonen, being capable himself, was thinking in the same manner, giving out defensive orders. Both generals were thinking of the other and chose the tactic they were less comfortable with, ultimately resulting in a clash of instructions.

The Dioral's soldiers move every which way and get confused, finally choosing to flee in chaos. Not being able to control them, they could not longer be stopped from fleeing.

"Wait! I won’t forgive you if you retreat! Commanders, hurry and pull your troo-guuoh!!"

Two men jump at Hartonen with broadsword. They exchange blows but Hartonen overwhelmes them. Suddenly, an arrow flies and pierce his arm. 

"Arch!"

His opponents take that chance to slash his arm and neck.

"Commander Hartonen has been killed!!"

"It’s all over!!"

"No. Escape to the left. Everyone!"

Myla, becoming the only remaining general, isn’t concerned about the problem of command, rather the only thing she could do was to ensure the soldiers escape alive.

Is this the end……?」

Having resolved herself, Hyuutia dismounts from her horse and stands on her own. The destruction of the army is practically obvious and there is nothing more she can do. If the territory is going to fall into ruin then she wants to send even one more soldier back home.

Five vigorously approaching Orlais soldiers are cut down without much thought, as she continues to stand and raises her spirit. She gets into a stance with her sword and shield, prepares to let as many soldiers run free before she gets killed herself. 

***

2