Chapter 271: Map of Continent
126 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marquis of Redcliffe Castle has a luxurious office. Said office is filled with tasteful and exotic furniture, every single piece being of exquisite design and decoration. The crimson carpet upon the floor is thick and soft, swallowing the footsteps of those who tread upon it. Flags bearing "book and hammer symbol" which is Hezri Kingdom's insignia hung upon the walls in the depths of the room.

An imposing mahogany desk sits in the center of the office. Its owner sits behind it, upon a black leather chair.

 a black leather chair.

If one are to describe that man in one phrase — dressed as he is in a simple black shirt, the he would be an average freeman who looks out of place in an aristocrat's room.

This is the man once known as Hiro, who has now taken on the name of the kingdom, King Hiro Hezri.

"Good grief… where shall I go from here?”

During the period since he came into this universe, he had gone through various life and death experience, as well adventure from deep part of Olga Federation to the centre of the Thedas continent, which is Abram region, until Hyuutia region at the other side of the continent. 

Now, he was deciding on what he should do next.

Now, he was deciding on what he should do next.

“All shall proceed as you desire,” the beautiful woman replied to Hiro’s muttering.

She is a world class beauty in a pure white dress, whose faint smile makes her resemble a goddess. Her long black hair was lustrous and silky, in stark contrast with the colour of her dress, and it reaches down to her waist. However, she is not a human being.

Her golden pupils are vertically slit, and a pair of curling, ram-like horns protruded from both her temples. 

She is Desire, one of high demons, and was accidentally summoned to this world in previous demonic disturbance caused by Connor, the son of the Marquis. 

Another strikingly beautiful woman is sitting at the opposite of him. Her red hair is long, reaching her back and is not tied in braid. Compared to the king, her attire is majestic, with reddish rapier at her waist. Her outstanding look fits her position as Marchioness of the kingdom. She holds the third highest position in the this newly established kingdom despite being from a princess of the Reskina state in Olga empire. 

The five margraves of the secret kingdom are not called for this meeting as four of them are not fully trusted by Hiro. The only trusted margrave, Jascha Alatt is still in Hyuutia, organizing the affairs there. There are four regions within this secret kingdom, namely Redcliffe village, Hinterland, Fort Connor and Hyuutia. The current lord of these regions, Duchess Isolde Guerrin is pretending to be Marchioness under Ferelden Kingdom, while Marquis Albert Hyuutia is pretending to be Count under Dioral Kingdom, although their actual loyalty is with Hiro Kingdom. 

Isolde is not called for this meeting as her mind is not fit for such discussion. Meanwhile, another Duchess of Hezri Kingdom, Myla remains in Hyuutia to assist Margrave Albert Hyuutia and Marquis Jascha Alatt to develop the region's economy and military. 

Two trusted countess of the kingdom, Clementine Quintia and Sekrit Hezri, remain in Hyuutia to train refugees to become soldiers.

The biggest problem is the sheer lack of information about this new world he currently inhabits.

“…Then, how about the next report?”

“Here.”

Hezri accepts the document from Ivanna and immediately begins scanning through it. The circular characters have been written with a fountain pen.

This particular report came from Jill Gustav, the noble girl brought from Abram. 

She states that the food crisis is solved and the current supply is enough to feed not only existing citizen, but also the many thousands of refugees and noble families from former Seraph faction of Hyuutia region. 

Former head of noble who are forcefully placed in Redcliffe retain their status and are given paid jobs in military and administration. 

However, Jill Gustav wrote about lack of trade at the harbour which causes little accumulation of gold and silver coins to import goods from outside of Redcliffe. The excavation project for gold and iron mine in Hinterland just started and thus, the yield would have to wait. 

Gold's looted were mostly utilized for Hyuutia with 16,000 gold coins used to equip Farnese Vandimion with Liberator semi automatic shotgun from another world.

She also states that Brita and Dennet Drake lead a team to frequently explore the outskirt of Korcari Wilds. They had not yet made contact with human beings nor had they found any trace of them. 

He nods. Relief floods through him as he learns that they had not found the beings in this world of which he is most wary — barbarians who are said to reside in the region past Korcari Wilds.

"I understand. Tell Brita and her people to continue carrying out my orders.”

“Unders—”

A quiet knocking came from the door. Ivanna glances at Hiro’s expression, then nods and headed to the door. After verifying the identity of the visitor, Ivanna replies:

“Farnese Vandimion seeks an audience.”

"Farnese? That’s fine, let her in.”

After receiving Hiro’s permission to enter, a girl of around fifteen years of age elegantly enters the office.

She is the only female heir of the most influential merchant in Thedas continent, the only daughter of Federico Vandimion, the highest aristocrat in merchant city state Venetian. He brings her everywhere he goes to ensure she can't live without him. The girl's affection towards Hiro shall be manipulated in his negotiation with her father later.

"Greetings, Your Majesty!"

"The same to you, Farnese. Why have you come to my room today?”

He could see the smile on Ivanna’s face twisting as she looks upon Farnese’s blue eyes, whose pupils are slowly filling with arousal.

It is still a smile, and her beauty is not diminished in the slightest, but it is no longer a pleasant expression.

Rather, it resembles the grinning of a jealous woman.

Still, Hiro quietly breathes a sigh of relief, because Ivanna is staring at Farnese, and not himself.

The two of them are at each other’s throats because they are rivals in love.

Ivanna and Farnese are both infatuated with him. Any man who is unhappy with receiving the affections of two such gorgeous women is no man at all.

"Stop it, you two. We have important things to discuss."

The three girls now stand in circle around the table with map in it.

 "It took some effort to obtain it, but this is a map of the world which Jill had acquired from Abram.” Ivanna said. 

“This is… I see.”

Hiro understood why Ivanna’s brows have furrowed ever so slightly, because the details of the map before them are terribly vague.

“I understand why you’re unhappy. After all, this map only covers a small portion of the surrounding world. The scale was haphazardly written and many landmarks are not recorded either." Hiro tells Ivanna.

"But basically covers Thedas continent." Farnese interjects.

A vague map like this is hardly reliable, but this is the best human of this universe could make.

"Farnese, please explain the contents of the map.”

Hiro points to the center of the map. It is the region which has been most accurately detailed.

“This is Denerim, and this region contains the centre of Ferelden Kingdom.

His finger moves south, to the vicinity surrounded by rocky hills. He is quite confident in his knowledge of that area.

"Redcliffe."

Ivanna points to northeast of Denerim and says, "Abram and Lothering." 

Another difficulty about the map is despite having symbols an marks that represent cities, towns, hills, river and other natural structures, there are not much words.

At the southeast of Denerim, there is a large region with words "Arkland".

"That must be Arkland Dukedom that recently declared independence from Ferelden." Farnese excitedly tells.

At the southwest of Denerim, there is a region  slightly smaller than Redcliffe village with words "Gwaren". 

"That must be region ruled by Count Loghain Mac Tir, famously known as Hero of Ferelden. He is the father of Queen Anora and Prime Minister of Ferelden." Ivanna explains. 

The Gwaren region stretches from the west of Redcliffe to area between Denerim and Redcliffe and slightly touches Arkland region. Another good part about this map is every region is coloured differently to differentiate one region with another. 

But as someone from another universe, Hiro finds it hard as there is no border at all between kingdom or region.

At West and northwest of Denerim, there is a region with the name West Hill. It seems its size is nearly as big as Redcliffe added together with Gwaren regions. 

At the northeast, there is a word "Amaranthine". It's region stretches even until Arkland. Its land separate Abram in the most east from Denerim at the centre of Ferelden. 

It seems there is a region right above Denerim, at the most northern of Ferelden. However, like Ferelden and Abram, there is no word on there.

"That must be Edgehall, ruled by Marquis Raeven."

Ivanna explains before points to the region between Edgehall and Amaranthine, with around northeast of Denerim, with the words South Reach.

"That must be region ruled by Leonas Bryland."

Then, Hiro points to region beneath Redcliffe and ironically there is a word Hinterland and even Winterwatch Tower on it. Further down, there is large region with symbol of many green leaves on it. 

"That must be Korcari Wilds." 

Area beyond Korcari Wilds are blurred as if the map drawer was unsure about that area.

There is a long spacious area between Korcari Wilds, Hinterland and place marked as 'Fort Connor'. Although Fort Connor was built by Marquis of Redcliffe, the  region until Fort Connor is coloured as if it is foreign to Redcliffe. 

That region connects to Gwaren that is in its west.

There is differently coloured region beyond Gwaren.

"That is Castall Kingdom." Ivanna enlightens us.

The region that borders Castall and Gwaren has a word "Virginia" on it. 

There are several regions with different colours beyond Virginia which is assumed to be regions within Castall Kingdom.

They point back at Fort Connor..

At the southeast of Fort Connor, there is a region bigger than Redcliffe without words.

Hiro confidently guesses, "That must be Hyuutia." 

At above Hyuutia, there is Fort Connor region and Korcari Wilds at Hyuutia's west while there is a unnamed forest region at the east of Hyuutia. 

"Beyond that forest at the east of Hyuutia is Orlais Alliance." Farnese finally voices up.

The Orlais territories are not large as Ferelden but this state constitute a long thin region stretches from Abram at the northern most to regions of Dioral at the north, Hyuutia to its west, and Olga regions at its south.

She resumes,

"On the other end of the wilderness is the Nicaea Theocracy, entities which we must be mindful of.”

Farnese adds,

"Between Orlais and Thedas ocean, there are three city states. The largest one is Nicaea that is the base for the trinity church. That is the northeast of Orlais. Below it is Venetian and below Venetian is Florence."

They notice there are small differently coloured region along the sea. There is a word "Thedas Ocean" on the vast blue coloured area. There are probably over hundred small brown coloured shapes scattered throughout the Thedas ocean.

"Those are islands. There hundreds of them at the Thedas ocean. Pirates occupy those area." Farnese's cute index finger moves along the archipelago on the map. 

"And your family is in that Venetian merchant city state?" 

Farnese nods with sour face as a response to Hiro's question.

3