Chapter 309: Frontiera Conquest
96 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning after that, a man stands on the top of a watchtower.

He appears to be over forty, has a tanned body, and his scent is more akin to that of waves crashing upon a skerry than that of a warrior’s. From the smell alone you could tell that he is a man whose life depends on the river.

Though the top of his head is completely bald, the sides and back of his head still has remnants from the lusciousness of his youth. He would try his best to comb them upwards to cover up the wasteland that is the top of his head.

Though his physical appearance screams day to day warrior, his garment is that of a first-class noble’s; thus, one could easily distinguish his status.

“Woooah — they’re everywhere —”

His tone does not match his appearance at all and is generally undignified, but this man is the ruler of these lands: Margrave Decebal Kronid. 

Within his line of sight was a large group of soldiers which number approximately twenty times more than Frontiera’s defence force. The invading army has halted their march to wait for stragglers to catch up, but it appears that the influx of militias into their formations has abated so that is probably the whole army. Given that is the situation, war is only a hair’s breadth away.

"—even so, it’s only a swarm of conscripted peasants. It’s not that big of a deal.”

The one who has asserted that is a man who stands next to Margrave Kronid. His brown hair is dark with thin moustache. His name is Boian Abram, a viscount.

"Oh, haaaaaaaah—”

Margrave sighs from the depths of his heart.

In  these trying times, his voice does not have a shred of urgency. It could be infuriating to some, yet Boian Avram’s expression remains unchanged.

"Is that so? So— everything’s going to work out, right? For a hundred years— this city has never been sieged ever since its founding as a village. We really don’t have much experience with that at all.”

This is not something the ruler of this region should be saying right now.

Still, Boian Avram has not appears to be angered by this. That being said, as usual, not an ounce of respect could be heard in his voice as he responds,

“Everything will work out? I don’t think so~, my Lord. If we can’t think up a plan about this, everyone will turn into corpses. Everybody’s trying their best to help us because they want to avoid that outcome~"

Beneath them within the city walls, over two thousands of trained soldiers as they lack time to conscript peasants into their rank. Behind this army unit are the soldiers under the margrave’s employ and mercenaries who are skilled in archery and other ranged weaponry.

Which is to say, those who are gathered on the city walls are aiming to strike the Hezri Kingdom’s army first.

Margrave Decebal Kronid, standing in front of them all, raises his voice and said,

“I’m grateful for everybody who has gathered here! I would like to thank each and every single one of you for your aid.”

Boian Avram could no longer feel that sense of unreliability from his tone, all that remains is the dignity and confidence befitting of a leader. His attitude, the product of having lived a noble’s lifestyle, left Boian Avram in awe.

From the vantage point of the city walls, it appears as though the enemies do not have a formation at all but are just gathering militiamen into one spot. This would have been easy for a skilled fighter like Boian Avram to clear them out, if only highly skilled opponents are not there. However, two are easily identifiable as they are the only women on the ground.

“No movement, hmmm? So — does anyone recognize a strong enemy?”

Two women stand where Boian is pointing to.

A peach coloured hair female fighter holds a shield in one hand and a huge sword in another while the woman with short blond hair is wielding dual-wielding swords. 

"We don't know the blond woman but the one with white hair and large sword is Gertrude Albright, the heiress of Baronet family of Albright. She is said to be the best fighter in Adalgiso faction." A head of noble family explains while pointing at below.

Suddenly a young black haired girl appears between the two. A very tall girl with a spear appears behind them. A minute later, the four girls disappear.

Suddenly, within the wall there is a huge commotion. 

The nobles on the wall  turn to their behind, beneath them. The four girls are now among their soldiers and are butchering the shocked men.

"What in hell...how they get into here?"

The youngest looking enemy, the black haired girl run towards the door.

"Hey...could it be...stop that girl!"

It is too late, she has opened the door into the city.

They expecting enemies pour into the city.

"Oh, noooo..."

***

Armies of Hezri Kingdom have finally breached the walls.

Gertrude Albright holds up her tomahawk. Over a dozen of trained fighters have been killed by her. She is in awe of the performance of the two women who she had just met. 

Irijina Wolls, the tall girl is  as fast and skilled as her but her strength even far surpassed average men.

On the other side, Clementine the blond girl with revealing outfit and weird fighting style is insanely quick with her hand and feet. She couldn't defeat these two women although she could give them a good fight. 

Nevertheless, it is a good feeling of life and death situation after quite some time. 

A man jumps at her which she dodges twice before crushes his neck with her axe like weapon. 

A big man suddenly shouts,

"Gertrude Albright.. finally we can fight to our death!"

She recognizes man.

"János Hunyadi...I accept your challenge!"

He readies his wave-bladed sword as it charges towards her with its shield.

The gap between them is closed in an instant, as though a wall has come barreling towards them, as though he is planning to use its shield to crush her to death.

She halts the shield with her tomahawk. Hunyadi cleverly deflects the tomahawk with his shield, intending to break her stance. This is a difficult manoeuvre that makes her feel as though her axe is being sucked onto its shield. She gives up resisting its force, rolls to the side, and uses the counter-acting force of that action to stand back up.

The axe swings from top to bottom but is deflected by the wave-bladed sword. At the same time, Hunyadi charges towards her much smaller body.

She does not even have the time to breathe. Forced to take the defensive again, she deflects attacks with her tomahawk and charges into her opponent.

If her opponent is this big, sometimes it would be better to charge through it rather than standing still.

But he simply makes a large swing of his broad sword. 

She leaps back to avoid it. Luckily, her equipments are light. 

He makes more attacks.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven.

She dodges by exploiting her nimble body but her faster hand couldn't reach him.

She starts regretting leaving her long sword outside, and choosing her short ranged tomahawk.

She waits for an opening while leaping backward, left and right. 

"Why? Girl. You don't attack."

She only clicks her tongue in annoyance while waiting for the right moment that doesn't come.

She leaps to his side in an attacking attempt but her foot steps in a small rock. She trips. 

He pulls his sword backward and makes a fell swing with that large heavy sword at her. 

"Opening.." She mutters and jumps from her squatting position at him, evading the slow swing. She is floating horizontally in the air and hit the the sword downward with her small shield before spinning her body horizontally.

Once reaching just before him, she uses momentum from the spin to cut his shoulder with the tomahawk.

He pushes his large shield at her but she manages to pull her axe in time to block it.

She was thrown away but he suffers severe wound.

Without resting, she dashes towards him again.

Despite being severely wounded, he blocks each of her attack. His shield still blocks everything like it is a wall and left no openings for her to exploit. She hacks at it with her tomahawk but it is deflected. 

"Here goes nothing.." She yells while making up her mind.

She throws the small round shield at him at full strength. As usual, he blocks it with the big shield but her body is already just before his eyes when he lowers the large shield.

She hacks his head. 

He is not dead but merely kneels to the ground.

She hopes that his health has already been whittled down to a wick’s length by those wounds.

After picking up her shield, she turns to face him and darts towards it.

Her tomahawk is easily blocked by the shield and so is her shield. Her attacks are not enough to break down the his defences.

She has expected her attack to be thwarted, that is all she has to do.

Even if it only is for a brief moment, her opponent is immobilized. 

She circles around to gus hand that does not hold the shield, the hand that held the wave-bladed sword, and begins attacking.

Hunyadi swings his great sword around, expertly parrying every hit that comes its way. Even though hus two legs are completely stuck on the ground and she skillfully chains her attacks, she couldn’t land a single hit.

She sees from the corner of her vision the scene of the man using brute strength to rise.

Two severe wounds had been inflicted onto him yet she still fails to bring him down.

She stands a meter from him, concentrating. 

Combination of attack were futile, so she decides to gamble on one swift but big attack. 

They stare at each other. 

He readies his sword for one final attack as well.

She make a step forward when he throws away his large shield. As he pulls the large sword towards her, she inhales. Before the blade reaches her, she moves into his range in unbelievable speed. 

Her left hands receives the sword with her shield and using the momentum from the hit to launch herself forward.

Hunyadi, now defenceless, can only wait for her axe hacks his neck.

This attack kills him.

"Gertrude Albright wins. She has killed the unbeatable Janos Hunyadi!" An ally shouts, followed by a roar by his men.

2