Chapter 362: Charlemagne of Castall
58 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Halstatt city, south western of Castall Kingdom.

Halstatt is located four days away from Glogow by horse. In its center stood the palace of the Carolingian royal family. Currently Demia Harviala and Scarlet Carolingian were listening to Count Erakis’s report in his office. When he finished speaking――

“What was that!? You bastard came running back here because of that!?” Demia thundered.

In response, Count Erakis squealed in terror, and fell prostrate in front of her. His body was shuddering as if he was scared of her, but a rebellious fire burned in his eyes, seemingly screaming at her, “You don’t understand a thing, stupid lass!”

Demia felt pissed off by his defiant attitude, but she couldn’t help but to admit the part about her being a lass who didn’t understand anything. Even her being able to yell at Count Erakis, who was old enough for them to be father and daughter, was completely owed to the girl sitting before them. The silver haired girl sitting on the throne and listening attentively was Scarlet Carolingian. Demia was a daughter of a margrave and the prostrating count was a second in command of Margrave Sigismund Jagiellon, who was at her father's rank, which meant she by right was not above the old man Demia had scolded. The reason Demia had such confidence was due to her position as the adjutant of Princess Scarlet. Scarlet's status was the first heir to the throne and the power of her father ― Charlemagne, the ruler over Castall Kingdom.

"B-But, with this we should be able to buy some time. I-Isn’t it a cheap price to pay, if we manage to hold back an enemy army of 30,000 with several thousands of reinforcements?”

“That out of the mouth of your lord?”

Demia actually felt dizzy from Count Erakis’s statement.

The calm Scarlet sighed before explaining,

"Lord Erakis. The invaders are only about 5,000. The over 20,000 are villagers in the south, west, and east. They are our subjects. We can't just kill them."

"But, princess Scarlet. The villagers had betrayed us and are now colliding with the invaders." Count Erakis desperately pleaded. 

15 years ago when Scarlet and Demia were still new born babies, Castall was a small country. There were four small countries in the central, western, eastern and southern of the now Castall Kingdom. Dark elves resided in the center while Dalish tribes lived in the western region. The king, Charlemagne had ravaged the regions and killed the rulers. Several noble families such as Virginia survived with their ranks and lands intact. Noble families from the south like House of Jagiellon, House of Garocki, House of Jaworski and others migrated to those lands to be their new rulers.

Nearly two years ago, Tevinter state of Olga Federation which was beyond the Korcari Wilds, was embroiled in a maelstrom of disturbances. The confrontations surrounding the imperial throne had developed into a civil war, inviting the local lords to announce their independence and savage invaders like Negara and Dalish tribe to ravage imperial soil. The nobles were unable to deal with this abnormal situation, resulting in the oldest state of the empire heading for its demise in the truest sense. 

Scarlet was sure that her kingdom would have perished like Tevinter if her father hadn’t decided to purge the southern countries and consolidate the nobles earlier.

Back then the kingdom ought to have learned a valuable lesson, but it seemed as if that past knowledge had dispersed with the passage of time.

The aristocrats from the previous rulers had defected while the migrated rulers loyal to her father had been killed. The central region was still not invaded yet but the lord with the largest trained soldiers in Castall Kingdom had been reduced to less than 2,000 soldiers. Now, the supposed to be the lord of the largest military power in Castall was begging for help.

Although the princess seemed calm, Demia felt irritated by his behavior and appearance, but she tightly endured as she knew that time was too precious right now to waste it on venting her anger at him.

“How many days?”

Scarlet asked.

“Pardon?”

Count Erakis looked confused.

“I’m asking you how many days it is going to take for reinforcements to arrive from the surrounding fiefs! Or are you telling me that you didn’t even go to ask for reinforcements!?”

Demia yelled.

“I-I shall confirm at once!”

Erakis jumped to his feet in panic, and rushed out of the throne hall.

"That geezers. What were they thinking?" Demia spat out under her breath.

Meanwhile, Scarlet shook her head, and nostalgically thought back the time when her gallant father fought the neighbouring countries. Her father, the once mighty king, Charlemagne was now bedridden.

About a year ago, her father brought her to defend against a detached team of Negara invaders. 

The defending team led by Scarlet held the advantage in armament and location, and thus the battle progressed beneficially for her side.

Just when they were certain of their victory, the offensive team launched an attack, as if making a last, desperate effort. 

Judging this to be their final resistance, Scarlet ordered all her forces to attack, just to have the main camp be ambushed by a small group of enemies. 

The desperate, final struggle had been no more than a feint.

Her father was only defended by a handful of men. Although the enemies were wholly killed, her father was gravely wounded. His condition then became worse until he was bedridden.

Contrary to the heartless Charlemagne, her daughter was kind hearted and emphatic.

"Demia. Is this karma for what my father did to those in the south many years ago?" She muttered.

"Don't worry, princess. Will thrive!" Demia tried unconvincingly to console her gloomy friend.

1