Chapter 455 : A Dying Sun
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clementine thrusted her dirk before she could even feel the pain.

Unfortunately, however, Kant was not done just yet. In fact, it seemed as if he was only just starting, for he retrieved his sword and quickly struck down her dirk, then he thrust out again for the center of her body.

Clementine jumped back, but Kant’s thrusts did not stop.

When one attack would end, Kant would close in on her. Whenever she was in midair, Kant would take a step.

Kant’s frightening perception allowed him to perfectly grasp where Clementine would run to. He was so precise he almost seemed prescient.

She brushed his thrust away, but he just brought it back along the same course.

Blood spurted out as it cut Clementine’s arm.

Irijina arrived in the room right when Kant started his offense. 

◇◆◆

Irijina and Gertrude groaned from beside the door into the room as they watched Clementine battle Kant.

Gertrude groaned because Clementine was having a hard time, while Irijina groaned because she couldn’t fight.

“Damn it, I wanted to fight!”

Irijina did not bother to hide his displeasure.

“…He suddenly becomes that good?” Gertrude inadvertently said upon seeing how different Kant was from his early passive performance.

Kant’s full power that had finally unleashed itself at the face of death was too great of a threat to the girls.

"Clementine might hate us for this, but I think we should interfere…”

When Irijina heard Gertrude say something so cowardly, she sneered.

“You sound just like those weak humans,” Irijina scolded.

“What!?” Gertrude flared up.

“Try that and that Clementine will cut your head off the moment you enter the fray.”

Gertrude was unhappy with Irijina’s remark, but with no words to refute hers, she could only quietly watch the duel.

Clementine’s body was already dyed in the color of her own blood, but her harsh movements came with a heat that seemed evaporate the blood off her skin.

Someone as straightforward and battle-crazed as Irijina felt this sight as heroic.

Clementine had already braved through several dangers in this duel, but despite that, she continued to smile. That was the smile of one completely entranced by the violence, a smile born from a zeal that was closer to madness than interest.

Clementine was originally a sadistic person whose sole pursuit was greater heights in the way of fighting and killing, while Kant, in contrast was a human who practiced his sword a stupid number of times. The two of them fought each other as if they couldn’t wait to be the first to die.

Two fighters, two different ideals, but they pursued one thing… The culmination of the fighting, the apex! A realm one rarely seen nor touched.

Kant read ahead with his inhuman perception to maximize his advantage, while Clementine, understanding that she wouldn’t die from a little scratch, braced herself and stepped forward.

The enemy may cut her flesh, but in exchange, she would cut his bone. Clementine crossed blades with the man with that resolve.

“They’re still not done?”

While the two swordsmen were battling, Cass Brankovic entered the room. She was the mastermind who orchestrated the strategem to subdue this region.

“I can’t believe you can say something like that after seeing how intense their duel is,” Irijina said with a sneer, but Cass wasn’t affected in the slightest.

The female strategist replied with a face void of emotions. “I understand the simpleton Irijina but you, Gertrude. Why aren’t you helping Clementine kill him? We could avoid needless casualties if we could just hang his head on the gates. May I remind you that our forces aren’t so lax.”

…Interfering would only expose Lady Clementine to needless risk,” Gertruse said as she kept her emotions in check.

Cass sneered. “Then let me tear that man to pieces with our arrows.”

Cass ordered her bodyguards to shoot Kant with their bows, but as soon as she did, Clementine sensed what they were about to do, and she screamed with a fury like that of raging fire.

“This duel is mine! Try and get in my way! I’ll cut you down! Just leave this man to me, I will definitely win!”

“But that’ll take too long. We may have already occupied the land around the fortress, but there are still people resisting. If we could just get that man’s head and hang it, we could take away the little morale the enemy has left.” Cass spoke coldly without any emotions.

In contrast, Clementine’s hands shook in anger as she wielded her dirk. “…Don’t get in my way.”

She swung her dirk and distanced himself from Kant.

The very air tore as Clementine swung her dirk. From that, it was clear as day that she had resolved herself.

Now awoke from the intoxication of the battle, Clementine stepped out to conclude the duel once and for all.

Suddenly, the enemy before him seemed bigger than before. Seeing that, Kant narrowed his eyes.

“Planning to end it, I see.”

Kant stood wary with his iron arm in front.

Clementine and Kant stepped out at the same time. Seeing her swift and balanced movement as she wielded her dirk, Kant resolved himself to sacrifice one arm.

The blood he has lost throughout this duel was already nearing fatal levels. If there were one of those rare healers around, things might go differently, but with the north eastern region already at its last breath, such convenient things could only be dreamed of.

Because of that Kant could not run from death.

What should he do then? He asked himself.

That was obvious. An enemy defeated was an enemy less. His predecessors fought with the same mindset, and it was because of that that Orlais was able to cut open a path for those left behind.

Like this Kant resolved himself. He would cut down this gung-ho girl, then he would cut down another… And then, he would die.

Kant understood after fighting this girl all this time that she possessed a power and a talent different from the others.

His fastest attack barely caught her pace. 

Because of that Kant decided to receive his enemy’s blade with his iron-arm, then at point-blank range, he would let loose a killing move that could not be dodged.

Knowing that the young woman was about to put an end to the battle, Kant sought to end it too… in his victory.

Their clash lasted for but an instant.

Clementine pierced her dagger from below.

The moment his right arm was taken, Kant knew he had won, but…

Something unexpected happened.

1