Chapter 466 : Date with Clarice
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gretel was losing followers in the university. Previously, the students looked up to her status as the heiress of the chairman of the Council of Heralds. Now, her remaining followers were the handful of youths from the Montfort faction. 

Gretel learnt about the house of Doucy's declining fate. She was looking for the daughter of Doucy. 

When she walked over to the women’s dormitory while feeling uneasy, confused girls where moving aside in order to make way for her.

There were also girls who tried calling out to her, but Gretel wasn’t concerned about them and turned them down by saying “There’s some business I have to take care of right now.”

Oh, if it isn’t Lady Montfort.”

When Gretel turned around, she saw the daughter of the count household, and her followers.

“Malty, you again.”

When Gretel spoke to her opponent, she squinted her eyes and looked down at the girl, Malty. Her opponent understood her intentions, and seemed annoyed. They both emitted a threatening aura.

"It seems you hate me very much. Do you really dislike people who’ve risen in rank that much? It’s really troublesome knowing that you think you’re all high and mighty just because your family has some history.” Malty said intimidatingly.

“Risen in rank? It’s quite improper to call yourself as such. It’s an extreme discourtesy to all the people who’ve actually risen in rank.” Gretel retorted.

The reason Gretel hated them was because they were from opposing factions, namely Mantillon de Haine who openly allied with Saxon and Chalons. 

In addition, there were many bad rumors about the count household this girl belonged to. Malty Melromarc was a daughter of the Melromarc family. 

It would’ve been fine if they were just rumors, but it was known that they had indeed gotten involved in wicked deeds.

Malty clicked her tongue and said, "You did a number on me becore "

"I’m busy. I don’t have the leisure to care about you.”

The count daughter made an unsightly smile.

silently glared at her opponent.

“──Is there something you’re trying to say?”

Malty Melromarc shortened the distance between Gretel and her to mere centimeters, to the point that their noses could touch, and glared at her face.

Gretel grimaced from the smell of strong perfume.

When Malty made a malicious smirk, Gretel’s eyes widened.

The count daughter, perhaps pleased by that reaction, smiled and showed her white teeth.

“Are you implying what I think you are?”

“If you knew about it, you should have stopped them. It seems that daughters of duke households can be quite heartless.”

However, Gretel didn’t panic.

Malty provoked her, "The house of Doucy has fallen. The house of Montfort is next."

It took only a moment.

Gretel grabbed Malty by the collar and thrust her towards a wall.

She constricted her chest and pinned her up against the wall with one arm.

“──Hey, what did you scheme?”

“T, too tight──”

The count daughter, whose feet no longer touched the floor, used both of her hands to seize Gretel’s arm while fluttering her legs.

Malty's followers and were about to take action and help, but Gretel’s glare caused their movements to halt.

"Hands off. ──I’ll crush you.”

Once she said that in a quiet but chilling voice, nobody moved, and Gretel turned back towards the count daughter, who seemed to be in agony.

“I have little patience. Tell me right now. What are you people planning?”

“R, release me!”

Although Malty was somewhat panicked, but had a self-confident attitude since Gretel was the one who struck first.

“My father won’t stay silent about this. Your household is in for it──”

Gretel interrupted the count daughter.

“Answer the question. If you want to make a fuss, do it later. There were many fools who made light of me after the matter of the broken betrothal. Since this is the perfect opportunity, I could make an example out of you.”

The many fools she referred to were fellow girls. For Gretel, they were a source of distress. The boys still acted upright towards her.

Malty smiled while in pain.

“You should see for yourself.”

Gretel threw the girl onto the floor, and walked away as if nothing happened.

***

The lesson ended and I was supposed to return to class with Myla.

"Hey Myla…… I have a special interview today."

"……with an instructor? Or a student?"

"A student."

"……"

"It’s just an interview, but because of certain circumstances, I decided to have a meal with them as well."

"……"

Myla stared at me while stepping back.

"That’s why I want you to tell Suzy and Lucy that it isn’t anything strange."

Myla remained silent, returning to class while keeping her eyes on me.

Hmm, this might cause a huge fuss when I get back home.

I rushed to the gate of the university. Clarice seemed to have been waiting for quite some time.

"Did I keep you waiting?"

She nervously turned and forced herself to smile.

"It's a noble duty to be on time."

I carefully escort Clarice who was wearing an even more extravagant dress than the one she wore for school.

As she’s puzzled by the difference in my tone of speech, I led her to the carriage I had prepared ahead of time.

This kind of attitude was probably what she liked.

"Take us to the Atelier Crenn."

"Very well sir."

"……Atelier Crenn?" She became even more nervous.

Atelier Crenn was the highest class restaurant in Val Royeaux.

In order to reserve this place and the carriage, we skipped out on afternoon classes.

"A suitable place is needed for a talk with a refined lady like you."

"Oh my……"

Clarice probably didn’t desire a place where she can eat in a carefree manner.

When we arrived at the restaurant, neatly dressed employees line up and lower their heads.

"Welcome to our humble establishment. Master Hiro, Lady Clarice de Dousy."

"Did you prepare us a private room?"

"Of course, sir. Please follow me this way."

The shop manager himself guides us into a private room in the back.

Inside the room, lights of different colors shine down on the table and other furniture from the jewel-studded chandelier, and there’s even an aquarium acting as the ‘lake’ in the name of the restaurant.

The multi-colored beams reflect off the water in the tank, creating a beautiful light show.

"Waah! It’s so pretty."

Clarice pretended that it wasn’t anything special at first glance but she seemed to be in a rather good mood based on her facial expression.

Maybe she’s experiencing something like this for the first time.

As the two of us took our seats, appetizers were quickly placed in front of us.

"I’m sure you already know, but I am just an ill-mannered simpleton of commoner’s origin. I may be ignorant about the manners and upset you as such, so please be easy on me."

"I am aware. I will try not to pay too much attention to that while I’m here. Oh, this is good."

Clarice gracefully picked up a serving of one of the appetizers and put it in her mouth while drinking a glass of first class wine.

That expression showed how truly happy she was, which was good, because I was a little concerned whether this food would be good enough when I heard she was the daughter of a margrave.

"Before we chat, let’s indulge in the food and wine."

"Yes, let’s do so."

After that, waiters would gradually bring many plates of food to us.

She realized something and stopped eating.

"Mister. You don't drink the wine?"

"Oh, that..I don't drink alcohol. I have a strict diet."

She seemed to be impressed.

"S-so good…… who knew such delicious meat existed."

She continued to conduct herself in a refined manner, but she’s still in her growth period as expected, and reached for many more servings while checking my reaction.

No matter what she said, she’s still just a young girl.

The girl had been drinking in conjunction with eating so her face is getting redder by the minute.

It should be about time now.

1