Chapter 527: Giant Catapult
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Torose fortress.

"There is large movement in the enemy army! They’re going from south to west…… no, to the north! They’re moving to the north!"

"North?"

It felt quite illogical for them to suddenly attack the north after focusing on the west and south gates all this time.

What was all that frontal attacking for?

Leonheardt gathered information from the lookouts and gave orders accordingly.

I got it, it’s unexpected.

"The walls and defense structures on the west have taken considerable damage. If they wanted to mount an all-out attack, wouldn’t it make sense to attack the west?"

Myla also seemed confused.

Well, we’re not the ones deciding where they attack. If they come, we just have to meet them.

"Leave the bare minimum of soldiers behind and send the rest to the north. Will the installment of the ballista make it on time?"

Myla shook her head.

Yeah, I didn’t think so. It would be trouble if battle breaks out in the middle of their work.

Leonheardt seemed to be thinking hard.

"Leonheardt, do you have a concern?"

"I’m treating it as a potential problem. For now, I’ll just do the best I can."

What’s that about? Whatever, I would leave it to him.

"I’m giving you command then. Time for me to head out."

"Aaah!"

I noticed Mirai lapse in attentiveness from the surrounding commotion and run north.

It’s cute how she’s trying to chase me.

"Owah! He’s here again!"

One soldier shouted when he saw me climb up the wall.

Hoi, don’t talk like you saw a monster.

"What’s going on with the enemy?"

"Well it looks like the infantry and battering rams are quite far back, nowhere close to attacking us."

That’s strange.

Now that they’d made their way to the north, wouldn’t it make sense to attack us before our defenses are set? What were they dawdling for?

At that moment, the enemy formation opened up and something heavy appeared slowly.

It made me unconsciously click my tongue.

"A large catapult…… they were waiting for this?"

It's a largest ever balistic weapon I ever saw in this universe. 

This one has a massive frame and it's bucket could fit in an adult man. It required a horse-drawn cart to wheel it out, which made it visibly more powerful.

"It will be placed on their camp…… no, they had platforms ready from the beginning."

"1…… 2…… 3…… 8? T-this is bad."

The enemy pulled their catapult onto piles of dirt. 

At that angle, they couldn’t be aiming at the gate. Their targets were most likely the soldiers on top of the walls or the city itself.

"Lined up next to the large cannons are the other smaller ones! They have about 20 in total!

20 in total!"

I couldn’t hold back a smile.

The enemy wasn’t going to reserve their cannons after all.

Probably these catapults weren’t used too much in the first attack was so they could concentrate all their fire power on the north gate.

"Interesting."

"Hey, His majesty is smiling."

"Scary…… my ass just clenched."

Suzy ran towards me with an arrow on her hand. 

I gave Suzy’s bum an extra tight squeeze before grabbing a spare short spear.

"Kya! What..."

I wanted to get a shot in before they blast us.

Because I was so bad with a bow, I decided to use a spear instead.

Originally, I had quite high raw strength on top of such above average sized body. The, I had stolen almost 30% of Lyla's ability. 

I relaxed my body and inhaled deeply.

"Uooooh!!!"

My body tensed up right before release, launching the weapon with all my strength.

"Auu! Hiro-sama is wonderful when he’s savage like that…… aah, my underwear……" Mirai cheered.

The spear flew almost like an arrow that was propelled by a heavy-draw-weight bow, stabbing one of the enemy soldiers prepping the big catapult in hus chest.

Those nearby stared back at me in disbelief.

I guessed that’s because it was a little further than a bow’s range.

It went a nice distance if I do say so myself.

"100 times that will come back now. Everyone, get ready. Mirai, Suzy, you stay behind me."

Our ally soldiers could only grin sheepishly with a mixture of displeasure.

Suzy slapped her cheeks to get pumped up, although she’s looking at me with charmed eyes.

Once we got through this attack, I wanted to have Suzy and Mirai line up for me so I could compare their holes.

Then the balistic onslaughts commenced.

Moments later, the entire wall was shaking.

"Guwaah!!"

"Gyaaa!"

One soldier hiding behind the bulwark got blown to pieces.

A ball grazed above the walls and took with it two archers’ upper bodies.

The ally who got hit with that fragment falls into the city covered in blood.

One ball deviated into the city and fell into a stone house, destroying the residence in a single hit.

"It’s so powerful!"

I pushed the girls’ heads down when they tried to look up.

Taking them along were a mistake, I should have left them in the headquarters instead.

Balls from the smaller cannons also dropped from the sky one after the other.

They were too strong for our stone defenses to stop.

Screams could be heard with every impact, each projectile smashing several allies.

Balls that missed also arc into the city.

Nothing could be done to them unlike flaming arrows.

"Fire back. Aim and shoot the ballista!"

Bows didn’t have enough range, however it’s not impossible for a ballista.

Nevertheless, the difference in strength between bolts and balls was too great.

Our bolts only killed a few of the cannon operators while their cannonballs obliterated our ballistaes into tiny pieces.

In a short period, most of our ballistae ended up demolished and the shootout had become a one-sided bombardment.

"They’re still shooting……?"

"Dammit…… the walls are going to fall……"

At this rate, the soldiers’ morale would drop rapidly.

Certainly, the enemy ballistaes were impressive, however they need to be a little closer if they wanted to destroy the gates.

It wouldn’t be easy considering the fact getting closer would mean entering the range of our archers.

Not to mention at the pace they’re shooting, their catapults would malfunction and warp soon, decreasing the amount of usable ones.

Unfortunately, presenting such logic to the soldiers when they’re in this state wouldn’t raise morale.

"You’ll get hit when you get hit whether you’re crying, angry, or sleeping. So lower your heads and think about the time you slept with a girl."

"Kyaa!"

"Wah! Don’t say that while rubbing my ass!"

When the soldiers nearby got on their hands and knees, I alone remained standing and fondled Mirai and Suzy’s bums as they were taking cover.

All of a sudden, the cannons stopped firing when we turtled up and tried to endure.

It immediately brought a smile of relief on the soldiers’ faces, except this wasn’t the time to be relieved.

"Everyone, raise your heads. The enemy is coming!"

Right as I finished speaking, war cries could be heard from the enemy camp.

"Attack――!!"

"Charge――!!"

The enemy charged with shouts almost loud enough to cover the voices of myself and the commanders.

0