Chapter 90: Lothering
354 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The covered wagon isn’t just a normal wagon and has a canopy made of a sturdy cloth on top to stave off wind and rain. Somehow, now that we possess our own covered wagon, I feel enhanced by the thought that I really am a merchant now. It was expensive, but it’s not bad at all. Being a travelling merchant brings an adventurous spirit and feels pretty good.

The ten  of us, with me on the driver's seat , travel with the covered wagon in under a day and visit the region of Abram for the first time. 

Based on our findings, this region is ruled by the house of Margrave Lambert. 

Based on the common law in this continent, 3 highest peerage ranks, Duke, Marquis and Margrave rule a large territory with automatic authority, unfettered by king. Within the land ruled by the three highest ranks, there are lands owned by lower noble families namely Count, Viscount, Baron, baronet and knight. 

The Knight only own a house and land around the house. However, from the lowest rank, baronet onwards, noble families could own towns or villages. 

Each village is led by a village chief but village chiefs report to noble families that own the land villagers are residing. 

Noble families are free to work and profit from the demesne their own, or delegate the job the villagers. 

Having said that, the noble families have no autonomic power such enforcing law or currency. Periodically, they must report their circumstances to lords that rule their land. 

There are exceptions to that of obligation. 

If there is a Count in that land, the Count is not required to report to the upper Nobles. 

In Abram, there are two Margraves, the other is House of Blare, although Margrave from Lambert is ruler of that territory. Any noble within the land of Margrave Blare, reports to the House of Blare, ignoring Lambert of the Great Noble.

The weather is nice with breeze blowing from my side. I drive the horses, our wagon is going straight on the plain towards an area with many wooden dwellings. Beyond the village, I could see wall, from far it looks tiny. 

About ten meters from me, a man with farming tools are walking towards the village, probably a villager who resides there. 

Hearing the sound of galloping that is approaching him, the farmer turns to his left.

I stop the horses just before him. 

Our eyes meet, based on the wrinkles and facial hair, he should be in his fifties. 

I smile, "Excuse me, mister. I am a traveling merchant. This is my first time in Abram. It would be helpful if you kind self could enlighten us some things."

The man who was at first anxious, then turn friendly,

"Oh, sure. Stranger. We have many people going through but they are all frequent visitors. It has been long time since I last met first timer."

I am happy that my first encounter is easy. I immediately skip to my goal,

"I am looking for a permanent place to sell my merchandises."

"Ooh. I can help.... Ops.. wait a second.... I do have something in mind, but it is better for you to consult our village chief. He frequently go into the town and city."

I nearly stand up but I remember to control my composure.

"I really appreciate it mister if you could show me the way. Please, I have another empty seat here " I gaze to the empty space on the driver's seat.

"Well.." He takes my offer and we continue our journey towards the village. The man talks a lot about farming, I just listen as I don't understand his explanation.

He points to long wall that is viewable from the village,

"That's Lothering Town, center of Lothering county owned by the house of Blare. Our village, Sandal village is also in Lothering.There is a large plain between the town and our village. If we simply go there by foot, it takes nearly an hour. But we see clearly its wall from here."

"Lothering Town is connected to Abram City, the capital of this region. That Abram City is owned by House of Lambert."

My impressions on seeing Lothering county’s center, the town of Lothering, from a distance, surrounded by a stone wall is ‘It's so shabby’. 

The fault might have been in my overly high expectations, though.

Sandal Village is a populous village outside the town, so I thought that it couldn’t be helped, but the just beside the town, Abram City is where the region's lord lives, which makes it the prefectural capital. So after being rocked about on a covered wagon for an entire day through endless wastelands, hills, and fields, finding a less-than-great town at the end of it all is a letdown.

No bandit appears, so the travel on the highway is safe, but I really feel that Lothering county is rural, no matter where you go. It’s not very pleasant, and I feel there’s a lack of a fantasy-look. It's far cry from the White City in Olga Federation.

However, even if it is a shabby town, only the stone ramparts that runs around the whole town really impress me, and I shout ‘Fantasy’s really awesome!’.

The clueless villager responds, "Long live Sandal village!"

As I am watching the stone wall all over with an excited expression, Sekrit whose head poking from window behind me, and even the villagers guarding the village entrance look at me with disgusted looks.

"Sorry, man. He is a merchant. First time here. Want to see the chief." 

The tired looking guard gives cue for us to enter. 

Different from expectation, the village looks near to the town.

The entrance door of the town is wide open. 

There is man made street from the exit of the village and extends to inside the town.

Once I focus my sight into the walls, I thought it is beautiful how the main street and the public square are paved neatly with in layed small stones.

According to Ivanna, the difference between a village and a town isn’t the population, but how well the roads are maintained and whether or not they have defense mechanisms like walls.

This real fantasy world overrun by invading armies is harsh. If you talk about cities in this world, basically, they are fortified cities with their castle walls.

Also, despite the town of Lothering being small, it is just beside the prefectural capital, so there should be counters from all sorts of guilds and a branch of the church, according to Ivanna.

2