Chapter 1: The god-substance
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Five years have come and gone, five tough years. My parents are mere farmers and the nutrition they are able to supply is not enough to cultivate a powerful body. The lack of the god-substance from my old world also hindered the growth process of my muscles, so I was forced to find alternatives.

Since we live so close to the mountains I've been heading up there ever since I could walk, collecting herbs that I could use to supplement my growth. Finding the right herbs was difficult, it took a lot of experimenting before I found something similar to the god-substance. Many of the villagers' livestock were sacrificed as test subjects during my research, the people of this village should be grateful that their animals died for a mighty cause.

Another problem I faced was my weak body's tendency to sleep, I had to find something that could keep me up for extended periods of time without blacking out. At the age of four, I began mixing my god-substance with other herbs and after months of experimenting, I was able to keep an animal awake for nearly a week before it needed to sleep. Sadly there is no escaping the sluggish feeling, but I take that as practice as well.

I am now five and have cultivated a favorable physique. The people of my village have noticed my power and call me a prodigy, some of them refer to me as a monster which I assume is quite common for overpowered individuals to be called based on the manga I've read.

Now that I have reached the limit my body can withstand, I shall start training in the martial arts of my old world. I tried gaining some information on the martial arts of this world, but it seems my resources are scarce as I am currently in the boonies. It should take a few years to regain my muscle memory, but hopefully, I should be able to get back to my old state before I turn seven.

***

I am now seven, and I have mastered everything I can remember about martial arts. My father saw me training and is in awe of my prowess, he says I should join the city knights, my poor father thinks very little of me.

Sadly I am not as powerful as I was in my old world, the herbs I have mixed together can only compensate for my small body so much. But with time I shall gain muscle, and with muscle I shall gain a better vessel for more power.

I am currently building a base in the mountains, the effectiveness of my god-substance seems to be diminishing, I shall need a lab to do more research. Catching wild animals in the mountains to serve as test subjects should also help to further develop my child body.

***

Building was difficult, it took me nearly two months and a lot of suspicion from the other villagers, but I finally did it, I have built my first lab.

Cutting the wood proved to be a tough task, but the calluses on my hands provide a protective barrier that makes me even more powerful. I have captured several animals, I have to say they look nothing like the ones from my old world. At first, I was only interested in using them as test subjects for my herbs, but now I dissect them and examine their properties. Some of them are very fast, perhaps I too can become fast by determining what gives them such power.

***

It's been a few months, and research has been going well. My parents worry for me as I have been staying in the forest the past few months, only ever coming back down to the village when I am on my runs. The villagers have begun to call me a witch, this proves that there is indeed magic in this world. I have to hurry with my research.

***

Today I found something interesting, one of the bird-like animals I caught has a strange organ which when fed to another animal gave them increased speed. I shall continue to feed the organs of one animal to another and record the results.

Also, my lab is starting to smell due to all the dead bodies, but this smell is nothing compared to the fruits I am gaining from this research.

***

I am now eight, and I have done research on every species of animal in this mountain. Through my year of research, I have found several interesting things. One, it takes approximately one week for dead bodies to start to decompose and smell. Two, blood dries quickly and proves to be quite uncomfortable to the skin.

Apart from that, I have discovered several organs which increase speed and strength, when paired with several enhancing herbs I discovered it makes a god-substance that far surpasses the "supplements" of my old world.

Anyway, my potion-making skills have become quite admirable, paired with this god-substance I would say I am stronger than I was in my old world. Now is the time to see where I stand in this world, it is time to see if the "power" of my old world is something worth being proud of in this world.

I shall head out to other areas in search of powerful foes.

***

I've been wandering the village in search of mighty warriors, but it seems that these lands have only bred farmers. I am far above the men of this land, just yesterday I broke one of my father's friend's arms by pushing him, sigh. My father is now adamant about me joining the knight corps, he says that a genius like me comes only once in a thousand years. My mother on the other hand wants me to stop my training, she claims that I am scaring the neighbors.

Indeed it seems that I have to venture out of the village, I have become what they call a big fish in a little pond. Well goodbye mom, goodbye dad, I shall one day return once I have discovered what true power is.

***

It's been two months in the wild, two interesting months I must add. I found new species of animals, and of course, I had to dissect them for research purposes. Sadly they didn't prove to be worthwhile enemies. Although they were sometimes fast, strong, or both, they were never intelligent. As such, they were very easy to kill with careful planning. At least I have upgraded my god-substance to some extent. I wonder, are there monsters in this world?

***

It's been a few weeks and I've finally found a group of people. They are all masked, wearing black clothing and they seem to be raiding a carriage. At first, I wanted to leave them be and let them enjoy their spoils, but I have grown tired of fighting unintelligent enemies, perhaps humans will be more of a challenge. Who knows, maybe they know magic?

After surveying the situation I quickly dashed to the back of the carriage where they left all their horses. The men seemed to be asserting their dominance over the woman and man that were in the caravan, these masked men seem to know something about power.

"Hey you, masked man number 1, fight me," I said, pointing to the masked man who looked to be their leader. All the masked men turned around in confusion, perhaps they did not hear me properly.

"I said fi-"

"What's a kid doing here? Ahh, I see, he's your brat, isn't he? You were trying to let him escape but the idiot came back and tried to play hero," laughed masked man number 1 as he pulled at the woman's hair. The other masked men began laughing as well before one of them began approaching me, let's call him masked man number 2.

"Are you seriously just going to enter my striking range so easily?" With those words I thrust two of my fingers into his throat and ripped out his larynx, this move is especially effective against animals.

I've grown used to the feel of blood and the gurgling sounds creatures usually make after I use this move on them, actually, I think I quite like the sound.

All the other masked men stared at me in confusion, masked man number 2 stopped moving, it seems that these humans are even weaker than animals.

"Sigh, what a worthless bunch. I thought that since you were intimidating those two that perhaps you had some sort of power, but it seems you're all just the talkative type," I sighed, truly disappointed.

"W-What? Kill that bra-"

Before masked man number 1 could even finish his sentence, I ripped his larynx out as well. Perhaps now I'll practice some swordsmanship, after all, back at my village there were no opportunities since I didn't have a sword. As the rest of the masked men stared at me in terror, I pick up masked man number 1's blade. It feels quite light, like a stick. After swinging it around a bit I turn to the group of men.

"Perhaps now I'll try one versus many. I want all of you to charge me at the same time and try not to die, if you do this right then I'll make sure you leave this place with as little pain as possible."

The masked men looked at each other before deciding to charge at me. Again they have entered my strike range without thought, seriously have they no martial arts training?

After a few swings, the masked men were no more, I've fought animals that lasted twice as long in a fight. Perhaps these men were just untrained and were not expecting a kid to be powerful? I don't know.

2