Chapter 03 Reborn
5.9k 32 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
So chapter 3 is a bit longer than the others... The spoiler towards the end is kind important, used that since I'm new to this and don't know how else to get the effect I want.

 

I awoke in darkness, surrounded by liquid. This did not completely surprise me, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I was not completely happy.

The reason? Because if I’m in a place like this, that means I have yet to be born.

Why is that a problem? Because there’s a reason babies tend to be wailing after being born. They have just survived the passage through a very tight space, with the walls pushing against them.

Being born hurts! At least that’s my impression of it. I could be wrong. After all, it’s not like newborns can tell us how it felt to proceed to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Paying closer attention to my surroundings, though, I realized that I was not likely in the place I had thought I was. The walls I was pushing against had no give, no softness. They were hard.

Was I a test tube baby? No… the shape didn’t match. It felt rounder… Am I in an egg?!

The answer to that seemed to be positive, but I had something else on my mind that was far more pressing. As my senses were engaging, I noticed one feeling that was quickly overcoming all others. Hunger. I was starving.

I tried to move, and while I had some motion, it wasn’t enough to do much. Trying to brace myself, I tried to put pressure on one location, hitting it over and over again with my...tail? I have a tail?

Hmm, that can wait. I need to get out of here before I die. Without the yolk to provide sustenance to me, I’d have to get out of this egg before I grew too weak to do so.

I don’t know how long I kept at it. After a while, using my limbs to pound on my new prison became all that my mind could handle thinking about.

At the time I couldn’t even spare the energy to think about how I’d hatched from being an egg back on Earth mentally, only to end up dead before I could do anything to ease the pain, and then wound up having to physically do so on a new world in order to be born.

After another eternity, the shell started to give, cracking in one place before it was as if the accumulated damage was dealt all at once and the shell broke and crumbled, allowing me to tumble out and into my new world.

Freed, I breathed in my first lung full of air. It was refreshing. Full of the scents of life; earthy, with underlying scents of a forest with a subtle hint of moisture as though it had recently rained.

My ears were filled with sounds that accompanied such scents. Leaves rustling, the calls of birds, the babbling of a nearby brook.

I struggled to open my eyes. It took a while, but when I did, I was still not able to make anything out. Blinking, my vision cleared and I could see that I was indeed in the woods. I didn’t see the stream, but could tell it was nearby somewhere behind me.

Trying out my new limbs, I attempted to move. They tried to refuse at first, but gave in when my force of will overcame the tiredness from the effort to free myself from the egg. I was weak, and unable to move much, but I was at least able to extract myself from the remains of the shell. Some of the pieces had been digging into my flesh and had been really uncomfortable.

At least whatever I’d been born as wasn’t completely helpless upon birth. Speaking of, I couldn’t see any other living being around me. No people, no animals, though I could hear birds calling in the distance.

This worried me. I don’t know who my parents are, but if I’m all alone, then there is a chance that I’ll have to take care of myself. What am I? What do I eat? I have no idea. Life on hard mode. Great…

At least I seemed to be safe for the moment, so it was time to try and figure myself out. I held out my hands to look at them, but it was my legs that I noticed first. They were rather large, and shaped in a distinctly animal fashion, ended in paws…

Next were my… hands doesn’t seem to be quite the right word. They were also more like paws, but were at least equipped with a small opposable thumb.

Both sets of limbs were covered in fine pink fur, thinner around my hands and feet, but thicker on my arms and legs.

My body was also equipped like my limbs in a covering of pink, and was rounder and definitely not human.

My tail was swinging idly around as I’d looked at the limbs I was more familiar with having. It seemed like it had almost a paddle on the end, with the rest being relatively thin. I exerted control over it and brought its length into my hands. It was also covered in fur and pink colored.

Between my legs was nothing but smooth fur... but in this case, it did nothing to help me check what equipment I’d been born with, since I knew that some animals, which is what I seemed to be, had their genitalia hidden. I’d try and figure that out when I had a chance, hoping for the best.

Reaching up I felt my head. I had a small muzzle instead of a human mouth, and it was already equipped with teeth. My tongue also seemed to be relatively longer than a human’s would be. Reaching to the sides of my head, I was not surprised to find that I lacked ears there, so my hands continued to the top of my head, finding my ears there. They were small triangles, and twitched as I touched them.

What I’d seen and felt of my body so far seemed familiar, but my mind was refusing to release the information to my consciousness just yet.

I tried standing up, and surprisingly succeeded. It seems my muscles were developed enough to give me hope of being able to survive in this new world.

I had a lot of things I needed to do, but the first thing was to find something to eat, and hope it wasn’t poison to whatever I was now. Looking around, I found a small bush with round, red-coloured berries.

Hoping this wasn’t going to be a quick end to a short second life, I shuffled my way over, stumbling twice as I learned to use my new body.

Reaching the bush, I attempted to pluck the berries, but my hand-eye coordination wasn’t very good. I was just born though, so give me a break. On my third try I was finally able to get a hold of a berry to try and pluck it from the bush, but I put a little too much force in and squished it instead.

I tried grumbling about now having berry juice all over my fur, but the only sounds out of my mouth were a cute, high pitched chirping sound. I froze for a second. It was sooo familiar, but I was still not able to place it.

Before trying to pluck another berry, I brought my berry-juice covered hand to my mouth and licked what I could off. It was tasty, but the fur got in the way of really enjoying it. Also if it was poison, it wasn’t fast acting, not that I expected it to be. My fingers as clean as they were going to get, I tried again, and succeeded.

A sweet and juicy flavor filled my mouth as I bit down. It was the best thing I’d ever eaten. Not that that was saying anything since it was the first thing I’d eaten. I plucked one berry after another off of the bush, my body coming further under my control as I did so, making it easier and faster to fill the void I called a stomach.

I stopped before I ate myself sick, but for a while there, I had absolutely no self-control. I’m a baby now, even if I have the memories of a past life. The body influences the mind.

Hunger sated, it was time to check out my environment, starting with the stream I heard. Turning around, I saw the remains of my egg. I also saw something that jumped to the forefront of importance over every other thought in my head. Next to my egg was a plastic bag. It was clear, and inside it was a piece of paper.

I rushed over as quickly as I could. For a moment it seemed like the space between here and there disappeared. I went from being thirty or forty feet away to being right next to the hollowed out tree stump my egg had been lying in. Not that I gave it much though beyond ‘wow, I’m fast’ at the time.

Reaching down, I picked up the bag, and the letter it contained. I didn’t have to open the bag to read it, as the letter was only a single sheet and not folded.

Spoiler

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your using Truck-kun enterprises to reincarnate into your next life. We hope you have found it to your liking so far, and are sure you have many questions. We have prepared this sheet with information we believe will answer most of them.

If you have any others after reading this, well too bad. Figure it out for yourself. That’s what makes exploring new worlds fun, right?

Anyways. The world you have been born into is one in the Pokémon series of universes. Not one where they throw out their kids to run around the wilds at the age of ten. I mean what are they thinking? Sooo many kids killed on those worlds. Not that it matters to you, since you’re not a human. At least right now.

In case you hadn’t realized it, you’re a pokémon! Kinda. A mew to be specific. Where the kinda comes in is that unlike normal mews that only have the genetics of every pokémon in them, you also have human genes as well, so you’ll be able to transform into one of them. Once you learn how.

We cranked up your transformation abilities, so you can really go to town and be whatever you want. You want to be a pink pikachu, go for it. Golden gyrados, yup! Human with tie-dye skin and rainbow hair? Heck yeah!

This also applies to your body’s ehm, equipment. Once you figure out your ability, you can mix and match, and adjust yourself to your heart’s content.

You also know all the moves… well your body does. Your mind is gonna have to figure them out. Though you’ll have to get stronger before most of them will be available to you. Can’t make you all powerful when you’re just a wee little baby. (Insert cutesy noises here, gushing about what a little angel you are).

And since you are just a newborn, I’m sure you’re worried about your safety, since you have no parents (or a trainer) to protect you. Don’t worry, be happy! The area around your egg has a protective barrier around it preventing anything hostile from getting through. For now. Except the weather, since it might kill you, but it doesn’t have feelings. You’ll have to deal with that on your own.

Suggestion, Earth Magic, or abilities, whatever. Most ‘moves’ amount to predetermined ‘spells’ doing something specific. Few people or pokémon take the time to bother figuring out how to adjust the moves to make them more versatile. I’m sure you can do better, right?

There’s plenty of food around. Mews are omnivores, and quite poison resistant, so there’s no non- pokémon plants dangerous to you in around thirty or so miles around you.

The valley you’re in is what is called a ‘growth area.’ That means that its almost exclusively low-level pokémon around you. Once they reach a certain amount of strength, most leave the area seeking to grow stronger. The perfect starting area for you to get to know yourself and master your abilities. After all, I’m sure you’d rather avoid being enslaved to a trainer.

Yes, you read that right. You CAN be caught and forced to obey a trainer! That’s why you’re starting in the middle of nowhere, to give you a chance. The valley is surrounded by some really high level areas that most trainers ignore since its out of the way and of little interest. It will make it difficult to escape (DO NOT FLY!!!!), but it’s the best place for you to grow. Head due west when you’re ready to leave, you’ll find a trail.

If you can perfect a human form, you’ll be able to avoid the troubles associated with being a pokémon, at least when in human form. Pokéballs will work on you the same as they would a human, AKA not at all. A perfect form will be indistinguishable from a normal human, even holding up against blood tests and medical exams, hence the ‘perfect’ part.

Ah, so what else….

Oh! You can talk to pokémon. Not surprising, since you are one. However, that means you’ll have to learn the human language(s) the old fashioned way. We could only stuff one language in you per the rules, and you’ll be among pokémon first. So, yeah. Good luck when you meet the humans.

Yeah, so storage technology in this world is weird. Their storage containers are like bags of holding, but that’s because they are actually being basically enchanted with spacial magic by pokémon. What that means is that you can do that too. If you’re not getting it I’ll be plain. If you figure it out, you can make an item box for yourself. Or bags of holding, but they’re common, so don’t expect to get too rich off doing that.

There’s probably some other stuff to say, but I can’t remember what, so good luck.

Fortune favors the strong, or the smart. Whatever.

God.

[collapse]

The heck!?

OK. Lots of good information, but SOOO many things I want to retort to.

Based on what I recall the god-orb saying, the reason I got thrown into this world as a mew was because I read something called “A pink cat in the MCU.” Great story, sad it’d been on hiatus for a while.

At least I seem to be in a mostly safe location, though more details would have been nice, like how big the safe are actually is, and why is flying such a bad idea.

Well, whatever. I’ll just have to do what I can and go from there.

 

So the species is at last revealed. Yes, there is link to another story in here. Much better story than mine.

So tired of writing. Gonna go read now. (more Pokémon) Maybe eat some breakfast. Later.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/207442/poksync/

So... Good, bad, neutral?
  • Good! Votes: 222 77.6%
  • Whatever... Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Bad! Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Drop it now! Votes: 3 1.0%
Total voters: 286
108