Chapter 16 History Lesson
2.3k 30 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Just to warn you, this chapter is almost entirely world building, hence the title. MC isn’t going to do much, if anything.

There were just over thirty of us orphans that had to be relocated, of those, four of them accompanied me to Pallet Town. All of us were under ten, with the oldest having just turned nine. He was the one most excited about where we were being sent, being well on his way to becoming a pokéfanatic.

He also wouldn’t shut up. Rather than listen to random topics being flitted through, I who had the misfortune of being his seat mate on the trip, steered him towards the topics I wanted to know about. I also learned more about the topics I was interested separately at a later date.

---

Pallet Town was famous for two individuals. Ash Ketchum and Samuel Oak.

Ash became one of the strongest, most powerful trainers, accompanied by his lifetime pokémon partner, a pikachu. He’d be given this partner by Professor Oak, a Pokémon Researcher who had his own small lab in Pallet Town. However it wasn’t his strength alone that had made him so famous. It was his dedication to reaching his goals that cemented it.

He’d become a trainer back when they’d let children go off on journeys at the young age of ten. No clue what those idiots were thinking letting preadolescent children loose in the world like that. There were many who quickly returned home, either greatly injured, or in a box.

Ash, however, had a kind of charisma that attracted strong pokémon to him, allowing him to befriend them and get them to join his team. Over his decades as a trainer, he collected so many that if it wasn’t for the stasis effect of the pokéballs he’d have either had to release many back into the wild, or let them starve.

He made many friends and allies along his journey, as well as enemies. He was consistently targeted by criminals and terrorist organizations due to the partners accompanying him, as well as his uncanny ability to be just in the right place at the right time to screw up their plans.

Rynn grinned at this, knowing he’d been some kind of blessed child of the gods or something. Having massive plot armor to protect him.

He’d become not only the Kanto region’s Champion, but eventually held titles from various regions, including the World Champion title for a number of years.

If those were the only claims to fame he’d had, he might have been famous, but not in the way he was. What caused him to be most remembered was his part in the Wormhole Crisis.

The Wormhole Crisis had changed the world so greatly that it had led the world into a new era. Years were now numbered with BWC and AWC. Before or After Wormhole Crisis.

The Crisis had its beginnings long before it actually occurred, with a terrorist organization attacking and weakening the mythic pokémon charged with attending to and safeguarding the world’s space and time, Palkia and Dialga. Had they not been weakened, it was theorized that a different organization might not have been able to kick start the Crisis by ripping apart the skein separating our world from others.

The Wormhole Crisis had its origins in the Alola Region, but after the initial tears in the Spaciotemporal Veil protecting our world, the damage spread across the entire world, with wormholes opening up everywhere.

These wounds in the Veil were not all the same. Some brought beings, pokémon as well as humans, from other worlds into ours. Others functioned like a vacuum, sucking beings from our world and dropping them elsewhere, sometimes just in a different region of our own world.

There were also the rare type that were more stable, allowing travel between two worlds, though at first there was no knowing how long they’d be there, so exploring was dangerous as one could be trapped on the other side if they were there too long.

Wormholes were a threat, one that was destroying the world, leading to the death or disappearance of millions of people, and even more pokémon. The deaths weren’t directly caused by the wormholes, but by that which came through them. Pokémon.

Sometimes they were the same species as our world already had, though there were many variants due to being from another world and evolving slightly differently.

However sometimes those that were forced into our world were new species, or ones that may have been here in the past, but had not been discovered yet.

Especially dangerous were the ones classified as Ultra Beasts. Especially powerful creatures that sat at the top of their food chains.

These transfers to our world had left the beings brought to our world in confusion, anger, and terrified, and they lashed out in order to protect themselves. Millions were slain, villages and towns were destroyed and cities devastated.

But that wasn’t all. The wormholes did not usually open up in the same region that they had started in, leaving pokémon in regions they did not belong. Sometimes it worked out and they eventually integrated after they’d calmed down, but more often than not it resulted in destruction. Either for the region, or for the unintentional invaders.

Civilization, the environment of the world, and the food chain were threatened and it needed to be stopped, but until scientists figured out how to do so, it was Master Trainers like Ash that did the work to protect the world from devastation.

The world’s leaders worked together to unite the nations of the world, sharing information and assisting in situations that needed additional support.

Sadly criminals used the opportunity to grow, but in a world threatened, the people came together to denounce those who hid behind facades and tried to line their pockets.

The world even extended a hand to the beings living beyond our world, asking for assistance, and offering goods in return. The clefairy who lived among the stars were the most well known, but other intelligent beings did as well. Knowing that if the breach continued to spread, its effects would reach beyond our world, they assisted us in developing methods to detect and combat the anomalies.

Ash was one of the heroes who traveled the world, fighting off the invasions, defeating and relocating those he could to their proper place in the world, though without much leeway many had to be put down.

Without Ash Ketchum and those like him, the world would have been lost before the problem was resolved.

---

Behind the scenes were the scientists, researchers, and a cadre of lower-tier trainers working as their hands and feet.

Among their number was THE Professor, Samuel Oak.

He’d been a trainer early in his life, one that became powerful. He’d done so not because he liked the fighting, but because he wanted to study the pokémon of the world, preferably in their natural habitats, but reaching said habitats was often dangerous, so he’d needed the protection of powerful partners.

As he’d grown older and had a family of his own, he’d opened his own lab in Pallet Town, acting as a teacher to the people of the region on top of his research. He’d even started the tradition of gifting young aspiring trainers a pokémon, where before they’d have been accompanied but expected to catch their own.

He hadn’t always paid enough attention to the world around him, hence occasionally didn’t have enough pokémon ready for the trainers he’d promised them to, like why a certain unruly and dangerous pikachu was granted to young Ash.

However he was still a brilliant man in his field, and had those who followed him, learned from him, and helped him around the world. He’d been famous long before the world was threatened.

When the Crisis occurred, he’d immediately gotten involved. Since his specialty was pokémon instead of technology, he’d been part of the task force investigating and resolving the issues with pokémon being in regions they did not belong in. Though at his advanced age, he was in his nineties at this point, he’d been directing the activities from a safe location. He was old and frail, but his brain was working perfectly.

Other scientists, with the help of the technologically advanced extraterrestials, were able to find solutions to the problems facing the world.

The first thing developed was the Rift Scanner. It was a device that would detect the creation of wormholes so response teams could be sent to the location to intervene if possible. The first generation was only able to detect them as they were opening, but later generations were able to detect them in advance and eventually determine their type, allowing areas to evacuate if they were threatening, or explorers to gather if they were the more stable variety.

With the ability to locate them, scientists developed tools to closely observe the wormholes and take more readings, which allowed the creation of Wormhole Shields. They were used to prevent anything from being unwillingly pulled through a wormhole, in either direction. With the space on our side cut off it could only suck out the air inside or expel so much before there was no space left to fill.

Though preventing others from being allowed into our world and causing problems, this led to beings from other worlds dying in the confined space. The world was divided on the use of the device on incoming wormholes due to the loss of life, but those in command knew that not using them would be to risk the world.

It took years, but eventually devices were made to prevent wormholes from occurring, as well as others allowing the Veil to be slowly repaired. They weren’t perfect, but with the ruptures being prevented it allowed the wounded world to be knit back together with the help of the mythical guardians of space and time.

Wormholes still occurred occasionally, but their effects were reduced due to the efforts of those involved. The lower powered they were the harder they were to detect. Still, the numbers had decreased as time went by.

In the last ten years, there were only three wormholes detected, two of which were prevented. It was difficult to reach the ones under water in time to stop them from opening.

It was hoped that within the next twenty years no more would be opening.

After all, by that time, it would have been a century since the crisis had reached the point where it could be considered resolved.

Yes, it got a bit choppy there for a bit, but I had to do it…

Yeah, so it’s roughly 80 AWC. Ash was in his thirties or forties at that point. Ash, his children, and his grandchildren are either dead or reaaallly old. Maybe we’ll befriend a relation that’s the fifth or sixth generation descendant.

And Oak? He was like in his sixties when the first game released, or so I believe. His descendants? Probably not. There was only Gary as his grandkid, and his attitude probably got him dead without reproducing. I’m considering saying he got involved with Rocket or some other terrorist group to defeat Ash and was jailed, but haven’t decided yet.

Should we meet a descendant?
  • Yes, befriend them Votes: 54 24.9%
  • Yes, become rivals Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Yes, teacher Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Yes, teacher and their kid as a friend or rival Votes: 35 16.1%
  • Just in passing Votes: 43 19.8%
  • No. Just no. Votes: 22 10.1%
  • Don't Care! Votes: 21 9.7%
  • 42 Votes: 42 19.4%
  • WHY MUST THERE BE SO MANY CHOICES!? Votes: 56 25.8%
  • Other, add details to comments Votes: 4 1.8%
Total voters: 217
75