Chapter 21 A New, New Home
2k 13 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I returned to my room and put my stuff in order. I wanted to be able to pack quickly when the time came, especially since I might have to flee, rather than just move into my new family’s house. I hoped everything would go well with my adoption, but I wasn’t going to take any chances.

Of course this confused poor Rachel, so I had to explain the situation, albeit with things like being a psychic left out…

“It’s because you’re a psychic isn’t it?”

Or so I thought.

“Don’t look at me like that. You’re not as good at hiding it as you think you are. I did see how you got up onto your bed yesterday.”

Yup, I was afraid of that.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t tell anyone, though after this morning, there’s a lot of people who think you might be one. You should be safe with the Oaks. I’m classmates with Henry, though he was supposed to be out this week for a trip with his mom, so if they’re coming back, I guess I’ll see him in class on Thursday.”

“Whats he like?”

“Hmm, he’s nice, but like most of them, he’s got his nose in a book more often than not. You should fit right in with them since you’re the same way. But even though he’s a bookworm, he’s still pretty strong. He’s always one of the first ones picked when it comes to sports, and man does he know a lot about pokémon, though unlike Pat, he doesn’t use it to try to show off. He’s always willing to help anyone who’s got questions. He’s also extremely handsome, so a lot of the other girls are interested in him.”

“Not you?”

“He is objectively handsome, even the boys agree with that since they’re jealous of him for it, but I don’t think he’s my type. I wouldn’t turn down a date though, it’d probably be a lot of fun.”

“Oh! What about Mrs. Oak? Victoria, I think her name is?”

“Oh, she’s amazing! You know that Professor Oak was a Champion?”

I nodded. It’d been mentioned he’d held the title three times, though I don’t know if it was consecutive or split up. I hadn’t gotten into how the Trainers League worked yet, so I didn’t know if former Champions were allowed to try and regain the title if they lost it.

“Well, she’s the one who took it away from him. She was already his wife at that point, though no one with half a brain can claim that the fight was rigged with how intense it supposedly was. She gave up the title after holding it for three years, since she wanted to retire from being an active trainer and raise her kids, both human and pokémon. She’d already had Patrick and was pregnant with Henry right then.

Victoria came from a family of breeders, and had never quit working at it, but when she put her whole focus on it, she became famous for it really quickly. Some of the top trainers these days like to boast about having one of the pokémon she bred.

Rumor has it she’s working on raising a special pokémon for when Patrick sets out on his journey this summer. He has probably already gotten it, but he wouldn’t be able to take it anywhere with him until he gets his license in a couple months when he turns sixteen.”

Useful information. Also a bit of verbal diarrhea, not that I minded.

We stayed up and talked for a while, mostly about my new family, though the topics didn’t stay there. She did most of the talking, since I didn’t really know a lot. I had never spoken of my origins, not since the social worker chauffeur.

Hmm, I need to ask to see what my file says.

---

The next morning went like any other morning since I’d been there, except that I didn’t have to make lunch. The one I’d made yesterday was still good, having been tossed in the fridge to keep cool.

The trip to school was uneventful. No near fatal incidents, no strange sounds, not even someone running with bread in their mouth plowing into another person.

It was when we arrived at the school that I remembered what had been bothering me. I was still not placed in a class and had to talk to a counselor about my scores before that happened. Parting from the flow of students, I headed to the office for the third day in a row.

I had to wait. And wait and wait some more.

Yesterday the counselor had rescheduled appointments in order to meet with me. Today was when they’d been changed to, so until they had time for me, I had to be patient.

Perfect!

It meant I got to enjoy myself instead of having to sit in a stuffy classroom, surrounded by noisy kids, and pretend to listen to lessons I didn’t need. I’d actually listen to the stuff I didn’t know. ‘Cause knowledge is power, ya know?

Kids shuffled in and out of the office, and I got looks from them. Curiosity, jealousy for not having to go to class, smiles from those who found me cute, consternation when they saw some of the weird positions I’d found comfortable. I’m part cat, deal with it. Oh, a box, can I fit?

It was nearly lunch time when I finally got my turn on the chair. The counselor’s office literally had one of those loungers like you see in the shows with shrinks. I think it was there as a joke, since there were other items that were like that. Like a framed series of inkblots, a jar of lolipops, hang in there kitten posters, a fancy screwdriver that lit up and made noises when you pressed a button...

The counselor was a guy by the name of Mr Carter. And boy was he interested in seeing me. Apparently I’d done amazing on the tests, so much that they were worried I’d cheated, though they could find no evidence of it. However, my scores also created a problem. I’d done too well, and they didn’t know what to do with me.

I’d done horribly in history and geography, but that was only compared to the scores from all the other subjects. I’d still scored higher than my age category, if only barely. My scores averaged to the high school level, with some notes.

Math, reading, and writing were college level, though they’d been reviewed and found that the style was different from the local one. My pokémon knowledge was amazing on some species, but lacking or nonexistent for others. Science was similar. Physical science I was good with, but not a bunch of the more common technical stuff like how pokéballs worked.

As far as the IQ test I took, I’d scored a 154. Genius level.

They didn’t know what to do with me, and I didn’t have parents to make the decision for me. They wanted to know what I might be interested in doing, though this wasn’t to say I’d get my wish. Among the options were staying with my age group, skipping grades, and taking online classes.

Had I remembered, I’d have talked to my new family yesterday. But I forgot.

“Can I think about it? I want to show Miss Amanda the scores and see what she thinks since I’m staying with her.”

He smiled at me, but there was a bit of a glint in his eye I didn’t like.

“Sure. We’re just asking your opinion, but nothing is set in stone yet.”

“Then what should I do until it is?”

“What do you think about joining a class for the rest of the afternoon?”

Makes sense, but it was unlikely I’d learn anything. I learned better by reading books.

“Umm, can I go to Sammi’s class?”

“Sammi, by that do you mean Samantha Oak?”

“Yeah. We were together yesterday, so we got to know each other a bit. I’m not close to anyone else yet.”

There were other kids close to my age, but I hadn’t spent much time with them, since I was usually in the library, and they liked playing with toys in the playroom.

He thought for a moment, then shrugged.

“Let me talk to the teacher and see how she feels about it. Go ahead and go eat lunch, the bell should be ringing for it soon. Come back here afterwards.”

“Okay. See you later.”

I picked up my backpack and left the offices. I’d been shown around briefly on Monday, so I knew where the cafeteria was. I was the first one there, but the bell rang as I was entering, so I knew others wouldn’t be far behind.

I chose a seat close to the door and kept an eye out for Sammi, flagging her down when she came in. She’d come in with some other girls from her class, though some of them headed to the lunch line.

“Hello.”

“Hi! Want to sit together?”

“No. I’m going to sit with my friends.”

“Okay then.”

I think she was still mad at me about playing guard on her yesterday. I let it go. For now.

After eating, I headed back to the office, although lunch hadn’t ended yet. All the stares had been getting to me, and it was too cold to stay outside for long.

I was relaxing on one of the chairs outside of the counselor’s office when Mr Carter came back. Lunch hadn’t ended yet, but since we were both there, he let me know that the teacher had said she’d prefer I not come to the class, that I might be too disruptive.

Haa, oh well. With how Sammi seems to dislike me right now, it’s probably better this way.

I ended up put in the kindergarten class. I didn’t enjoy it. I’m leaving it at that. It sucked.

---

Reaching home after school, I went to Miss Amanda’s office. She was busy, but I left her the papers I’d gotten from Mr Carter with my scores before heading off to relax with a book. A history book in this instance. I needed to catch it up to my other score.

Heck, if I could get textbooks from all the grades to read, I’d be good for schooling, though I’d definitely need to take breaks so as not to go mad.

I was tucked away in one of the more secluded nooks on the second floor when I heard my name being called. Looking downstairs, I saw Miss Amanda.

“I’m up here.”

“Come down, Mrs Oak is here to meet you.”

I felt butterfrees in my stomach, but did as asked. I trailed behind Miss Amanda to her office, using her as a shield. Yeah, I was a bit nervous. What if she didn’t like me?

I shook my head. It’ll be fine, I told myself.

But I still had to be pulled out from where I was peeking at Mrs Oak from behind Miss Amanda.

“Hello Rynn. It’s nice to meet you.”

Mrs Oak had come over to me and crouched down to look me in the eye.

“Umm, hello.”

I didn’t know what else to say. Thank you for protecting me from jerks who’d try to brainwash me into their way of thinking? Not that I’d let that happen, I’d have run away if someone tried that.

But it seemed I didn’t need to say anything. She gathered me in her arms and hugged me.

“Thank you for saving Sammi. And welcome to the family. Now lets go home.”

If you hated the part with the counselor… I did too. It sucked, but I couldn’t work out how to do it better, so I just did my best and moved on. I did say I wasn’t holding back with the tests, so extreme results were to be expected.

Also, not sure how the kids will take to their new sister. Patrick, the eldest, will probably be fine with her. He won’t even be around for long. Henry, will likely be the same. But Sammi? Having the affection and spoiling that was her due as the youngest interrupted? She’ll either resent Rynn and go the rival route, or they’ll become really close and be friends.

Find out next time, or maybe a few chapters on, in …. Reborn as a Pokémon!

85