Chapter 37: Taken x Aside
250 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Now that we’re done here.” Said Aoi as everyone had finished up their treats. “I’m going to stop by the restroom first before we leave.” When she said this, it immediately gave Kichi the opportunity he had been searching for.

“Yeah, I think I’ll do the same thing too.” He got out of his seat to join her. It did garner a look from Kougi on the matter as he had already used the restroom at the theater. Though it was one more of a mocking manner than of anything suspicious as she teased him for apparently having a bladder than herself, a girl. The boy took that insult without any retaliation and followed Aoi to the public restrooms.

“You better not be planning anything weird.” She commented as she walked in through the door to the girl’s bathroom. He could tell she continued to keep that suspicious attitude on him. Though Kichi would say she was the one bringing up him apparently being into weird things like that.

As he went into the boy’s bathroom to pretend to use it. He realized a critical flaw in his plan. Airi once mentioned that if one of the twins needed to use the bathroom, then the other would as well. His original plan on talking to her by the restroom doors before they returned could never work then. Since if that statement were true, then he could expect Airi to walk by the moment they even left the restrooms.

“What am I going to do?” He sighed, splashing water onto his face. It was at this point he wondered if it would even be worth trying to talk to her. Maybe he was overthinking things, or maybe he could even just wait until later to talk to her. The only problem was when would he even find the opportunity in the future for that?

During a time of doubt, he had little choice within himself but to rely on the one thing that would never let him down. Kichi produced the lucky coin from his pocket as the reminder of what he had last used it for flashed back into his mind. It was because of this coin that he really did what he did in the bathroom with Aoi in mind. Again he was going to use this for something relating to her.

He flipped up the coin and mentally decided which side would represent what. Heads, he would try to forget about the whole thing. Those two were twin sisters, surely if they had any problems they could settled themselves without his meddling. But tails would mean he would take whatever chances he could for a short moment alone with Aoi. The boy wanted to help his friends in any way he could. Not to mention he had grown a fondness in trying to aid that specific girl in her struggle to become someone less reclusive.

Finally, after a long five seconds floating in the air. The coin landed in his hands to reveal the tail end. It was decided for him once again that he should try to talk to her. Kichi splashed some more water onto his face in preparation on finding a way to make this a reality. When he exited, there Aoi was leaning against a wall waiting for him.

“Sheesh, I thought it was girls who were supposed to take a long time.” She made a quip upon seeing him. Though he was surprised to see her waiting up for him instead of just rejoining the other girls. From her attitude, he always figured she actually didn’t want much to do with him and preferred to be with his sister most of the time.

Before they were able to return to their table together. Airi came up to them in predictable fashion. Unsurprisingly, she said she wanted to use the toilet first before they left. Kougi also told them she was going to do the same thing and she also told Kichi everyone was just going to go home after this. She even whispered into his ear away from the twins that he was getting exactly what he wanted in teasing fashion.

While she was correct in her assessment on what his wishes were. There was another important factor in all this which got him anxious. If those two girl were going to the bathroom for a little while. This meant he could have his chance alone with Aoi. “Guess we’ll just hang outside of a bathroom then.” She muttered when they were alone once more. It wasn’t how she pictured her having time with him with no distractions. But just like everything else in life, she figured only she could get disappointments.

Kichi didn’t say anything at first. Instead of talking, he immediately grabbed her hand tightly and led the girl away. “Hey! What are you doing?” She attempted to struggle from his grip, but it was hopeless with their strength differences. All Aoi could do was walk behind him as he guided her away. Her heart beat quick as she felt him take command. When did someone like him gain such bravado?

If she was aware he only had this confidence due to his coin’s decision though. Then she likely would’ve been less impressed, but still impressed nonetheless. Either way, she had no other options but to allow him to take her wherever he wanted to bring her. Despite always calling him terms like pervert, creep, loser. She didn’t feel particularly concerned with what he planned on doing. Deep inside she knew he would never. Both because he wasn’t a bad guy and there was no way he’d have the guts to do something with his own sister so close.

“Sorry about that.” He finally spoke up as they walked outside. “I just wanted to talk.”

“Don’t know why we couldn’t just do that by the bathrooms.” She responded, taking a look at the hand he grabbed. This might’ve been the first time she had ever held a boy’s hands. Especially in the manner they shared it with. If people didn’t know better, they might’ve thought these two were a couple. A thought that for once, she didn’t take issue with.

“I didn’t want the other two to hear us.” He answered. “I figured you’d feel the same way when I tell you why. It’s just that I’ve noticed you’re acting kind of odd lately.”

“R-really?” Her anxiety levels shot through the roof upon hearing him say that. This boy always appeared so dense that if someone like him noticed. Then she knew that whatever she did was blatantly obvious. The worst part being that if he found out the true reason, then her secret would be out. “Everything’s been fine with me, if that’s what you were wondering.”

“It’s just that I’m concerned if everything’s still all right between you and Aoi.” After their first fight together in his room. Kichi knew they weren’t immune to disagreements. Whatever they were specifically was up to no importance to him. Only that he wished to make sure they still loved each other as family should. “I want to let you know that if there’s anything wrong, that you can come to me whenever you need help. Or even just so you can talk to Kougi. I’m sure she’d love to help you with personal problems.”

“You would really do that for me?” She hung her head down to hide away the tears forming in her eyes. No one ever seemed to care enough to ever tell this to her. The only person up until now in her life where she could feel confident in coming to was her own twin. So why was someone like him willing to lend out a helping hand over a perceived problem?

“Don’t give me the shtick that I’m only doing it for Airi.” He replied in anticipation to what had been the norm so far. “I’m going to be honest, I get how it is to feel a little different from everyone else. To feel like they’re all judging me for things I do all the time.” His lucky coin would be the source of most people’s opinions of him. Though Aoi certainly did a good job in adding in some different insults his way.

While he couldn’t say it didn’t affect him. Kichi did find a way to become more comfortable in his teen years. So perhaps he thought he could help her work towards the same goal if she wanted it. “Really, don’t take it the wrong way.”

“Thank you.” She weakly grabbed hold of his sleeve, still unable to look the boy in the eye. “It’s hard sometimes, so thanks for trying to support me.”

“Is it just that you were nervous?” He asked. Kichi was aware of her lacking conversation skills thanks to Airi. So if it was simple, he figured it wouldn’t take much effort to fix either. “I’m sure with some time you’ll get the hang of it. Don’t sweat about it too much.”

“It’s not just that.” She admitted to him, but couldn’t fully admit the truth. Not now or here due to the impending interruption. “When we have time during school… Meet me on the roof.” The girl gave him vague instructions. When he attempted to clarify on what she planned on doing, they were interrupted by what she knew was coming.

“So this is where you two sneaked off.” Kougi spoke as she and Airi walked out the door. “I was a bit worried my brother might’ve lost control and did something bad to Aoi.” She laughed it off as no big deal. Though Kichi did ponder for a moment how she would feel if he actually made a move on someone like Aoi. Maybe not to the extent she joked about, but with her feelings there was no way he could believe she’d be okay with it.

“Phew, at least everyone’s okay.” Said Airi, who was a bit over dramatic with her words. It wasn’t as if he’d actually do anything bad at all. They should all know him well enough for that. “You ready to go home, Aoi?”

“Yeah, I’m ready.” As the twins walked off towards home. The girl sent a look back at him, cementing her request of him in the following days. Kichi simply nodded his head, confirming private meeting. Now all he was left with was wondering what it was she wanted to see him up there for.

15