Chapter 42: Twin x Choices
250 7 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kichi had now learned the truth. He had somehow managed to win the affections of both twins as they stared at him. While the specifics on how that even occurred were still beyond him. All that mattered right now was there was a bigger mess to sort out than he could’ve ever pictured in his mind.

“Kichi? What’s going on out here?” Kougi finally made her presence felt as she walked out her room. The girl pretended to not understand the situation, despite being the one who caused it to happen by sending a message to Aoi. Speaking of, the girl in question did notice that odd behavior. Why would she be playing dumb, she wondered. “Whoa, I didn’t know you were going to have both Airi and Aoi over. You should’ve told me first.”

“S-sorry.” He was ignorant of her knowledge into the situation. So he felt bad about causing all this drama at home. It was made worse by knowing she liked him, and now he was trapped in a love triangle with the twins.

“I can’t believe the nerve of you.” Aoi returned her attention back to Kichi. She was absolute livid over their actions while she was knocked out. Though not for what any of them expected. “I confess to you on top of the roof, then you go abandon me for my sister?”

When she first woke up at the school, she realized she was in the nurse’s office with her mom picking her up. Given that Kichi hadn’t stuck around, she figured after her confession and subsequent fainting. He likely decided to quietly reject her because who would want a girl who passes out on something so simple. For the rest of the day, she had been moping around kicking herself mentally on screwing up the confession. To her, she believed he would hate her for messing up like that.

She was in this mood until she received a message from Kougi. It told her that Airi had come by his house and the two were sitting rather close on the couch. This told her two things. One was why her own sister was late on coming home. She was wondering why she hadn’t come back to check on her well being. The second thing this told her was that Airi was on the verge of confessing. It would make sense seeing as she herself had just made an attempt earlier that day. Surely that would lead to the other rushing things along as well.

When she got this news, the girl immediately ran as fast as she could to Kichi’s house. It was a good thing the door was unlocked or else she would’ve busted that thing down to get to them. Well, she wouldn’t have been able to considering her small stature and weak build. But that didn’t diminish her anger in the slightest.

“But you didn’t confess to me.” He replied. While someone with better ears should’ve understood she tried to form up there. Kichi was stupid in not putting together the pieces then. At the very least, he should’ve gotten an idea the moment he got up there with all the context surrounding them. “I guess you must’ve passed out before you said it.”

“I didn’t…?” Aoi’s expression turned dim as she realized she hadn’t finished her sentence up on the rooftop. While he should’ve gotten the idea by then, it didn’t change the fact that she had yet to make her feelings clear to him. “Aren’t I an idiot then?” It was now that she knew she was the one who gave away the secret about both twins being in love with him. Not that it mattered much as Airi had already put some moves on him during the interim. Just that the blunder coming from her was unexpected. The pair had assumed it would be Airi to cause that to occur.

“Wow, you have both these girls falling head over heels for you.” Kougi spoke up, wrapping her arms around both the twins as Aoi went to cover her face to hide away the embarrassment. “That’s so weird, isn’t it?”

“Wait a second.” There was something off to Kichi about her behavior. It was like she played dumb instead of actually being dumb. “Did you know about this?” Now it made much more sense to him about that day when the twins fought. This must’ve been the thing that Kougi helped them deal with.

“All right, you caught me.” She put up her hands in admitting the truth. “I’ve known this entire time.” When she said that, Aoi assumed this was also her admitting that she had texted her that message earlier as a means to support her. While she couldn’t tell if she was supporting her specifically or if she wanted the twins to each have their fair chances were still unknown. If she was smarter, she would realize that she was only playing the pair for fools to keep the boy all to herself instead.

“Wow.” Kichi needed a moment to collect himself as the boy fell into a chair. He grasped his head thinking about every possibility on who he could end up dating. It was this clear struggle which gave Aoi some hope. This entire time she had assumed if both were just placed before him. That he would easily choose Airi over her because that was the nicer girl. Judging from all the online comments she had read on the internet forums of her favorite anime. People generally preferred the girls who were nicer to the main character. Even if they had zero chance of winning the affections at the end.

But him having to seriously consider the both of them meant she still had a chance. Even if it was slim, or worse than 50-50, Aoi could actually be the one he went with. “What am I going to do?”

“You know I’m always telling you not to rush into a relationship.” Kougi reminded him. “It’s not like they won’t be around tomorrow.” While she was correct in the objective sense. He had his suspicions on her motives behind telling him this yet again. After learning the truth about her feelings, he realized that every time she had told him this advice was to hold him back. Chances were this would be the case again as she would try to delay him on making a proper choice.

“No.” He was firm in rejecting her suggestion. “I can’t just leave it here. That would be too anticlimactic.” It was obvious there was no way to return to normal life even if he told them he would consider things for a bit. Describing their future time as awkward would be putting it lightly. There was no way he could go on in public pretending they weren’t interested in him. “I need to be the one to make a decision.”

“Well, how are you going to do that?” Asked Airi. “I mean, I’m cute, but so is Aoi. Oh, we have so much fun together, but she’s smarter than me...” She would continue making attempts to put herself above her twin sister. Yet it would be followed up with her giving Aoi a compliment and also making the case for her love rival.

“She’s right.” Said Kougi after the girl was done making an essay on why either she or her sister would make for a good girlfriend. “How are you supposed to pick? I guess they aren’t twins for nothing.” To her, they were more similar than they put themselves out to be. So unless he really got to know them both very deeply, there was no way to really choose one and know for sure that was the right decision.

“Man, if only there was something that could help tip the scales.” He said, thinking out loud. “There has to be something that could point me in the right direction… Oh wait a second.”

“You can’t serious about this.” Said Aoi as they all watched him pull out his lucky coin. “This isn’t the kind of thing you can just flip a coin to decide!”

“Yeah, I know we all make fun of you for it, but I think this is not the time to use it.” Kougi tried to reason with him, but Kichi was having none of it. He had decided that no matter what she said. There was nothing she could do to keep him from moving on with his life.

“I don’t know if it’s always right.” Said Airi. “When I was choosing between you and Aoi, I ended up not going with what it told me and went with you anyway.”

“You chose to defy the coin?” Kichi looked at her, jaw dropped, like she had committed some kind of heinous crime. Now he certainly knew the only reason they were trapped in this weird drama was due to her now listening to its wisdom. But since they were here anyway, he knew he could use it to get them out of this mess. “Whatever. Heads, Aoi. Tails, Airi.”

With that declaration, he flicked the coin up into the air. Their fates were now hanging in the balance with this toss.

16