Chapter 38: Experience in the Bank
63 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Let's see those stats again Tamma!" The hunter did as Yalch asked, closing her eyes and casting Insight

Name: Tamma Lezmala
Class: Sniper
Element: Light
Rank: 2
Current Weapon(s): Solstice (Technique)
Spell(s): Deadly Line (4 Vigor Points)
Lethality: 8
Proficiency: 10
Vitality: 100
Guard: 8
Agility: 15
Vigor: 10

"Are these... good?" Tamma asked. 

"You're just a Rank 2 Purifier right now. You're nothing too special when compared to others with Potential once they transform. But you're a formidable threat to most people and creatures!"

"I'm guessing it will be like what you said before? With some practice and more experience I'll get even stronger, right?"

"Yep! Just look at Miwah! She's only gone up two Ranks and she's already seen quite a bit of improvement since she first put on that Beacon." 

Name: Miwah Lu-Hwung
Class: Martial Artist
Element: Qi
Rank: 3
Current Weapon(s): Liberator (Offense)
Spell(s): Aura Drive (4 Vigor Points)
Lethality: 15
Proficiency: 12
Vitality: 80
Guard: 8
Agility: 10
Vigor: 12

"Those Experience Fragments did make a difference," Miwah replied. "I felt confident when I slashed through Pierce with Liberator." She mimicked the same motion that she used to slay the giant snake.

"And you managed to stay transformed longer too! Even if it's only by a few minutes, that can mean the difference between life and death!"

"The more that I use my Purifier form, the more I think Vigor might be the best option to focus on improving. Being able to transform sooner as well as longer makes all the difference." Miwah then tapped her chin before casting insight to take a look at her skill table.

"That's what I'm thinking too," Tamma replied. "But it might be a good idea for us to also focus on different areas. That way we can tackle a wider variety of situations."

"Ultimately, it's up to you to decide how to spend your Experience Fragments," Yalch said. He then faced Tamma, floating at her eye level. "But now that you've been explained what each of the branches are for, do you have any other questions you'd like to ask? Maybe learn a few things before deciding what to invest your Fragments into?"

"Yeah. Looks like I have access to a spell. I've never dabbled in magic. How would I go about casting Deadly Line?"

"Tell her, Miwah," Yalch said, tilting his head enough to look at the seamstress beside him. 

"Just focus. In the same way that you summoned your weapon. It is not hard to do after you cast it the first time."

Tamma bobbed her head. "I see. Any idea as to what it does?"

"The only way to find out is to use it," Yalch replied. 

"Great. Looks like I won't be seeing that new ability a few hours from now."

"Sorry you spent a lot of your first time as a Purifier wrapped up in a snake's clutches. Usually, Purifiers at least get a chance to see their combat spells in action at least once during the first transformation. But if it helps, you can save your Fragments for later in case you want to see how Deadly Line works in case you think it'll determine how you want to spend them."

"Not a bad idea."

"Just make sure you keep your Class in mind. Looks like you're a Sniper. That means you specialize in long distance attacks, so putting some points into Agility will help you get out of danger as well as reaching good vantage points. But of course, a good shooting spot won't be too effective if you're not doing enough damage for it to be worth it. Or if your Proficiency is so low you end up missing a shot and you give your location away."

"That's a lot to think about," Tamma said as she stroked her chin with her finger. "I'm really worried about spending these things now that I know once I use them up, I don't get them back."

"You'll get more eventually. So don't stress out about spending them one way or another. No matter what you put them in, you'll become stronger regardless."

"Makes sense." Tamma blinked a few times and stretched her arms above her head. "I think I'll play it safe for now and hold on to the few Fragments I have. That way I can have a better idea of how I best to spend them."

"Being bound by a man-eating cobra really hinders your experience," Miwah said with a sly smile. "So I do not blame you for holding onto your Fragments."

"All right, Miwah. I see how it is." Tamma smiled back, pointing a finger towards Miwah's face. "Didn't expect you to be so witty. But I'll give you a warning. Us Bahnwans are known for our tongues! You think you've got snarky comments? I've only been going easy on you because you're a guest, lass."

"Wait a second now. I was just trying to be friendly." Miwah raised both of her hands in front of her, almost as if she were surrendering. "You know? To show no hard feelings between us. If there is one thing us Xiwaoans lack, it is a strong sense of humor."

"Too bad, Miwah. Should have thought about that before!" Tamma then winked at the seamstress. "Don't worry. I won’t get you now. But the next time to you mess up, I'll be there to capitalize on it!"

"She's right, Miwah," Yalch said while facing her. "I've been to Bahnwa my fair share of times. Those people there are brutal when it comes to insults. If I were you, I think I'd rather take my chances with the Cutthroats."

"Wait! Tamma I was just joking around! You did great back there, especially for your first time!"

The hunter turned around crossed her arms but maintained her friendly smile. "Too late."

With a huff, Miwah shook her head. "Fine. I am a Purifier. I have taken on giant snakes, grizlewulfs and even Ghenkans. Surely I can take an insult from a Bahnwan."

"Yeah. Keep telling yourself that."

"I really can!"

"Let's focus what we should do next, shall we? Before you say something that might give me something to work with."

"Fair enough." All three pairs of eyes looked away, each one pondering in quiet for the next step in their plan. "I remember you mentioning something about someone that would know about the creature we found inside the Grizlewulf."

"Oh, right! Chaston over in the Governor's building. We should still have some time to see him today."

"Is that where we are heading next? Or should we try to get another sample to show him?"

"Hopefully a description will be enough. That… thing had a very distinct look to it. If Chaston had seen it before, I'm sure he'd be able to recall it from memory. But there is one place we need to go to before stopping by the Governor's place." 

"Let me guess," Miwah said with narrowed eyes. "Lug?"

"You know it. Poor guy is probably worried sick right about now."

"It's only been a few hours, Tamma."

"You think that makes a difference to him? Ever since I found the poor lad, we haven't been separated for more than a day."

"What do you think, Yalch? How much time do you think you have left with us?" Miwah asked the ghost. 

"I'm feeling fine. I've got a plenty of stamina to hang around."

"A trip back to Tamma's place will do you just fine then? We need you to be here with us when we go to visit this friend of Tamma's. I know Narrita is not happy about what I did to Pierce. I would not be surprised if she has sent a group of her men to hunt us down."

The hunter froze, taking in a deep breath as if she were panicking. "Oh no. You're probably right," she said with worry. "I don't think the Cutthroats know where I live." She then looked behind her towards the wet and empty alley. "But if they manage to follow us... and find out my home..." Tamma pressed her back against the wall and rubbed the sides of her foreheads. "It just dawned on me. We can't go around Farrowport anymore."

"Why?" Miwah asked.

"Because of what happened to Pierce! The Cutthroats will never let us live that down! The next time we meet, they're going to want to kill us!"

"Then it is a good thing that we have these Beacons to protect ourselves! If they were smart, then they would think twice about attack a pair of Purifiers after what happened to that snake of theirs."

"But Lug can't transform! He's practically defenseless. Now I really can't leave him alone." Tamma groaned as she buried her forehead into the palm of her hand. "I wish I thought this through sooner. I'm telling you two. Now the Pierce has been killed, Lug is going to be Narrita's number one target! She's going to make me want to feel the same way she does now. Even worse. Wouldn't put it past them to take him out, chop him up and force-feed him to me in a broth!"

Miwah grabbed the hunter by her shoulders and pulled her straight to face her. "Look at me Tamma. If that is the case, then it is on us to make sure Narrita and her gang never succeed." While still holding onto Tamma's shoulders, the seamstress turned to the ghost lingering beside her. "What is the purpose of a Purifier again, Yalch?"

"To fight great evils!" he exclaimed with enthusiasm. 

"Exactly. And robbing people and threatening them with murder is evil, is it not?"

Tamma nodded. "It is."

"Exactly. Remember, you wanted to be a Purifier, Tamma. Putting your life in danger as well as though around you are just part of the price you have to pay."

"I... I know." 

"Good." Miwah patted Tamma on her shoulder. "You are a Purifier now. Time to act like one."

3