Chapter 44: Old Friend Versus New Friend
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We can discuss this later." Tamma stood in front of the door at the end of the hallway. She lifted one hand, ready to knock. "Alson is a great friend, but there are more important things to focus on at the moment."

"Just saying," Yalch replied.

The hunter let the back of her knuckle knock on the door. After a few taps, all three waited for a response. Pure silence ensued for the next few moments.

"Looks like he is not here," Miwah replied.

Tamma put one hand on the handle. She pushed in slowly, making the door creak. The inside of the office was dark, bordering on pitch black. The only light came from the tinted sunlight that could penetrate the thick purple curtain that covered the window on the opposite side of the room. "And you'd be right," Tamma said with disappointment as she pulled the door back, closing it behind her.

"Are we going to go out and try to find him?" Yalch asked.

"Of course. Let's go ask Alson for some help," Tamma answered. The hunter then tilted her head back and pressed the palm of her hand against her forehead. "Now I'm going to have a hard time looking at him the same way because of what you mentioned."

"You got a crush on him too?" Yalch said with larger than normal eyes. "I know finding out that someone has feelings for you can make you feel the same way about them!"

Tamma shook her head. "Nope. He's just a friend. But now because of you, I've got a guilty conscience. And I haven’t even talked to him since you told me about your little observation!"

"Oh. Maybe I should have kept that little comment to myself then."

"It's fine, Yalch." Tamma led the other two down the corridor. "You were just looking out for me."

"It is a good thing that we are more worried about dealing with Cutthroats, Ghenkans and mysterious insects instead of trying to blossom a romance." Miwah patted Tamma on the back. "Isn't that correct?"

"Of course," Tamma said uneasily. "There's a lot at stake right now. We've got to keep our attention on what really matters."

It wasn't long before all three exited the building. Alson was seated crisscross on the ground, his back resting against the wall while his eyes were shut.

"Hey Alson," Tamma said. She stared down at him, keeping her hands resting on her hips. She gave the guard a moment to respond only to receive a soft snore in return.

"Alson!" she said louder. Her foot nudged his knee, making him jump up.

"Huh? What?" His eyes bounced around in front of him until stopping upon seeing Tamma looking down at him with a frigid scowl.

"This is what Farrowport depends on in case of an attack?" Miwah bemoaned. "This city is truly doomed then."

"Hey lady, you don't know what I've been through." Also darted up to his feet and straightened the fabric that covered his chainmail. Both looked at each other. Miwah's expression changed first, turning dour immediately. The guard took a step back, looking regretful from his statement.

"And I can say for certain that you have no idea what I have experienced." Miwah pointed one finger at Alson's chest. "So do not give me some excuse about you having a rough life. You are a member of the Farrowport Guard! It is your duty to make sure to deal with any threats of your city."

"You think I’m just going to let some foreigner tell me what to—" Alson cut his response short when he saw Tamma wave a hand at him from the corner of his eyes.

"Don't. I've known you for a long time. And even though it has only been a few days, I feel like I've known Miwah for just as long. I can say for certain that she's telling the truth. What she's been through within the past week... is unfathomable."

Alson looked down. He placed his hands behind his back. "Sorry. I didn't know."

"If you want to be useful, take us to Chaston as fast as possible. We have an emergency to deal with. The sooner we meet him, the better," Miwah said.

"Sure, sure. Last time I saw him he was somewhere inside the Governor's main building."

"You know how the other guards are with letting commonfolk inside there! It's going to be a hassle just getting to the door." Tamma huffed and flicked her hairs to the side with a swift movement of her head.

"I'm guessing you're going to want me to get you two in, right?" Alson pointed towards himself with his thumbs.

"It would be appreciated," Miwah replied.

"You know I'm not that high ranking, right Tamma? Just because I'm a member of the Farrowport Guard doesn't mean I get full access to whatever part of Farrowport that I want."

"It's not like we're asking for access to the Governor's personal quarters. We just need to get to Chaston and soon." Tamma stepped closer to Alson. She locked her eyes with his. The woman placed one hand on his shoulder, looking at him with a face of desperation. "Please? I know you can figure something out."

Alson's head turned to the side, abruptly breaking the eye contact he made with Tamma. "Shucks. Maybe I can work something out. They're not that strict about the outer parts of the building. It's just once you get towards the Governor's personal areas is when they start taking rules seriously."

"So you will help us then!" Tamma exclaimed as she put on a smile.

"I'll do my best. I could make up something on the spot in case we get questioned." He then faced Miwah. "A Xiwaoan might turn some heads though."

"Just say she's... from an exchange program," Tamma said.

"Exchange program?" Both Miwah and Alson said simultaneously.

"Like... uh... with schools. Just say she's here to learn more about Remcroft culture. Maybe even add in a line about trying to help ease the two nations into peace."

"They'll never believe that last part."

"Fine. Just keep it at a student exchange then." Tamma stood at Miwah's side and used both of her hands in a presenting pose. "Does she look like someone that poses any kind of threat to you?"

The guard looked at Miwah from the top down. "Guess not."

"Exactly."

"And what about you?" Alson pointed towards Tamma.

"Hmm..." She tapped the tip of her chin with her finger. "I'm her translator."

"You speak Xiwaoan?" Alson said with surprise.

"No, not really. But I doubt anyone else here does!" Tamma turned towards the seamstress. "Say something in Xiwaoan."

Miwah cleared her throat and spoke a single sentence in her native tongue.

"She said, 'I am from Xiwao.'" Tamma smiled, bobbing her head as she shifted her gaze between the two. "See? Wasn't that convincing?"

"We need to get going," Miwah said sternly. "That last plan of yours worked. Even if it was just barely. So I will trust you on this one."

"Still haven't been convinced that I know what I'm doing, eh lass?"

"Maybe you are just very, very lucky."

"The Governor's building is just a straight shot on this path." Alson raised one hand and pointed at the massive castle-like structure in the middle of the area. "Today has been a bit slow so I don't think we'll be seeing too many people on our way there."

"That means you won't have to put on the coughing act, Miwah," Tamma remarked. "Just keep close."

Alson yawned as he stretched his arms high above his head. "Right. Let's get this over with. My shift ends soon and I don't want to be here any longer than I have to."

"Lead the way." Tamma extended her hands at the stone trail that led to the Governor's estate. Begrudgingly, the guard listened to Tamma's command and began to walk. The others trailed close. Yalch lingered next to Tamma's ear, cupping his hand in front of his mouth as he began to whisper.

"Glad I told you, huh?" he said softly. Tamma nodded in silence with a big grin.

"You girls sure are making a big deal out of whatever it is you want to talk to Chaston about."

"It is very important," Miwah shot back. "It is so important, it might force you to do your job."

The guard turned his head over his shoulder. "What do you mean?"

"You have heard of the Ghenka Clan, correct?" Miwah asked.

"Yeah."

"They have been to Farrowport."

"Lots of people from all over the world stop by here. Don't see what the big deal is."

"You think Ghenkans are to be trusted? They are violent. Brutal. Without morals. Whatever it is that they are up to can only be devastating for the people of this town."

"But Chaston doesn't handle the town's defense. He's just a researcher. There’s nothing he can do in case we’re attacked."

"We found a peculiar creature from their boats. Neither one of us knows what it is or what it is capable of. But what we do know for certain is that the Ghenkan captain is interested in it."

"He stole the body of the creature from me," Tamma added. "My hunter's instinct tells me that something sinister is about to transpire. And it's essential that we get as much information as possible."

"Sounds like it's above my paygrade." Alson's reply was accompanied with a chuckle.

"But it is your duty!" Miwah called out. "There is more to being a protector of your home than the coin you earn."

Alson shot Miwah a cold and brief glance before turning around and continuing to lead. "I think I liked you better when you had your head down and faked coughing. Can we go back to that plan?"

1