Chapter 45: A Shot of Confidence
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Here we are, as promised." Alson stood in the middle of the path leading towards the Governor's building. Up ahead, another pair of guards were visible, blocking off the oak doors underneath the stone archway. 

"Are those two going to give us any trouble?" Tamma asked. 

Alson squinted his eyes. "Those two? Yeah. They're sticklers for the rules. They won't let anyone inside unless they work for the Governor or accompanied by a member of the Farrowport Guard."

Tamma slapped the side of Alson's arm with the back of her hand. "That's perfect then!"

"Anyone but me, that is. I'm still just a low-ranking recruit."

"Do they know that?" Tamma asked.

Alson shook his head. "No."

"Then I don't see the problem. Just pretend you're a higher rank and they'll let us through, right?"

"I am from another nation and already I can tell that Alson is not a high rank just by looking at him," Miwah said as she stuck one hand out towards the guard accompanying them. "This might be the time where I have to intrude on your plan, Tamma."

"No need to be so harsh on the man, Miwah. I've known Alson for a good while. He just needs a bit of confidence. I'm sure he can do it!" The hunter turned her head towards Yalch. She gave him a wink and he returned the notion. The seamstress saw the two exchange looks, only to give them both an expression of slight annoyance. 

"You really think so, Tamma?" Alson replied, his eyes widening and voice somewhat shaky as he looked at her. “You really think I could pass off as a high-ranking guard.

"Oh, I know it!" She placed a single hand on the man’s shoulder, angling him so his light blue eyes locked with hers. "Remember when that flock of crimson larks was causing trouble over by the botanical garden? They were eating all the berries from the bushes and were leaving a mess everywhere. What did you do?"

"I... ran at them. With my sword," he replied awkwardly.

"Exactly!" Tamma grinned then gave Alson a gentle jab on the shoulder. "And those birds went flying! You took care of that problem like that!" She then snapped her finger. "Crimson larks are known to peck back if they're bothered. But that didn't deter you at all! That took at least a bit of confidence! Don't you agree?"

"I guess." Alson shrugged his shoulders.

“And how could I forget about the time you protected the Governor’s district from that man threatening to beat down anyone that got in his way?”

“Are you talking about that drunkard that came stumbling to the gate?”

“Assassin. Drunkard. Could have been either!”

“Pretty sure that was just a drunkard, Tamma.”

"Regardless, he made threats. If you can deal with that, then getting us past a couple of your fellow guards shouldn't be a problem at all. You just need to use some that same confidence you had before! You plan on getting promoted, don't you?"

"I... guess."

Tamma and Miwah looked at each other. The seamstress looked at her with disapproval. 

"You guess?" Tamma asked.

"Yeah. I don't know if I want to keep doing this. Especially now that you two are telling me that I might have to deal with Ghenkans."

"If you did not want to fight, then why are you a member of the Farrowport Guard?" Miwah rested one hand on her hip while her other hand pointed at Alson. 

"For the money. Obviously. Getting paid to stand around and talk to people? It's the easiest way to get paid in town. Besides being a beggar, I suppose."

Miwah turned around, flinging her hands in the air. "Tamma. You deal with him. Let me know if Alson ever musters up the courage to do his job. If I have to listen to him any longer, I might just... ugh!" Miwah walked further down the path with Yalch trailing behind her. With her back to the other two, she crossed her arms while the ghost started talking to her. 

"What's your friend's problem, huh?" Alson blurted out. He looked at Miwah with narrowed eyes. 

"She's been through a lot, all right?"

"We've got a war going on! Everyone's been through a lot! Doesn't mean she can just come here and berate me for wanting to survive!"

"I know, Alson. I know. She's really a sweet person once you get to know her. Kind of like you. I just think the two of you have gotten off on the wrong foot." Tamma reached down and held onto Alson's hand, clutching it tight with both of hers. "But we are being genuine when we say how important it is that we see Chaston. There is a lot on the line right now. And you are essential in making sure that Farrowport stays safe."

"Great." The guard took in a deep breath and angled his head upwards. He took a glance towards the pair of men blocking the entrance. They remained motionless like statues. Both were fully clad in armor that glistened from the afternoon sun. They wielded their long spears at angle so that the obstructed the front door. "This is exactly what I was afraid of. Do you know how much trouble I could get into if they find out I left my post?"

Tamma still held onto Alson’s hand. "No, I don't. What would happen?"

"They'll put me on cleaning duty."

"That's... it?" Tamma blinked twice as she continued to stare at the guard. “Not getting sent to the front lines to fight against Xiwao. No time spent in a cell. Just… cleaning duty?”

"You ever clear a waste depository?"

"Alson. Cleaning duty is not that bad. Definitely not as bad as what could happen to Farrowport if we keep wasting time hesitating. Now, we're going to need you to get us in there as soon as possible. Just follow the story we came up with and you should be fine. I'll even answer any questions that they might have."

"You sure about that, Tamma? I don't want to have to go through for a second round of rinsing and scrubbing if I don't have to."

"I am. And even if you do, I'm sure you'll be fine. A bit of hard work can do you a lot of good." Tamma laughed, prompting Alson to do so as well.

"You've always had a way with words, Tamma." Alson rolled his neck and then looked in Miwah's direction. She remained with her back turned while conversing with Yalch. "Is your friend all right?" the guard asked. “Looks like she’s talking to herself.”

Tamma looked behind her and saw the seamstress' mouth move as Yalch continued to chat with her. "Yeah, she's fine! She's doing a... Xiwaoan chant. In their culture, it’s a way of calming down. Focusing on Qi. Or something like that. She's just stressed out over all this."

"Uh-huh. Go ahead and get her. We'll go with your plan and hope those two are lenient when it comes to rookies bringing guests along." 

The hunter took Alson's arm and pulled him close. She gave him a few pats on the back. "Thanks. If we get through all this, I'll owe you won."

"Hey. If I get caught, you'll still owe me. I don't want to clean up the latrines all by myself because I made the mistake of trying to help you two out!"

"That's more than fair. Now just give me a moment." She ended the hug to face Miwah. The hunter raised one hand above her head and waved her hand. "Hey Miwah!" she said in a loud voice. "Come back over here!"

Miwah and Yalch both turned around and made their way to the others. The seamstress made sure to not look directly at Alson and instead made eye contact with only Tamma. "Did your friend muster enough courage to—" 

Tamma raised one hand, making Miwah stop her sentence short. "Yes. He's going to help us out. No need to stoke the fire any further. From either one of you." She glanced over at Alson. "Understand?"

"Yes," both Miwah and Alson replied simultaneously. 

"Good. And please. No more bickering, all right? We've already got a lot to deal with. You two trying to get on one another's nerves won't do us any favors. We’re on the same side, remember? No need to focus our anger on each other when we might have to deal with Ghenkans."

“Fair point,” Alson said.

“Miwah?” Tamma said with a drawn-out tone, looking at Miwah with an inquisitive look.

“Fine,” the seamstress replied before sighing.

“Good. You ready now, Alson?”

"No more hesitation." The guard took in a deep breath and rubbed his hands together. "Just going to rehearse what I'm going to say in my head on the way there." The guard turned around while Miwah and Tamma stood behind in formation. They remained close together, forming a compact group as they travelled down the stone path to the Governor's building. The two men protecting the entrance maintained their stance, not shifting their eyes away from the horizon despite the approaching party. 

Alson walked up to the spearman on the left. He kept his posture upright with his hands behind his back in an effort to maintain an air of confidence. Even after being only a couple of feet in front of the man, he still refused to maintain eye contact. Alson turned around once more, looking at Tamma and Miwah. The hunter smiled, nodding slightly, telling him without words that she believed in him by winking and giving a thumbs up. 

Miwah's demeanor was a starkly different. Her frown showed that she was unenthused. Alson then quickly turned forward to face the man blocking off the entrance. With a brief clearing of his throat, he had finally caught the man's attention. 

"Excuse me, sir," Alson said clearly. The armored individual didn't respond. "I have two guests that I'm escorting through the Governor's building." Alson and the other guard stared at each other in silence. Miwah and Tamma looked from the man protecting the door to the weapon that he had in front of it. The two spears remained crossed.

"We should have just waited," Miwah whispered to the hunter.

2