Chapter 75: Life of the Party
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You two ready now?" Yalch appeared from beneath the floor. Aurrie and Daego both stood by the doorway, with the swindler looking out into the hall.

"About as ready as we'll ever be," Aurrie said.

"Oh, your friend is back?"

"Yeah."

"Tell him that I'm good to go."

"He can hear you just fine, Daego."

Yalch flew into the corridor and looked straight down the hall. The space was empty, but the sound of the Cutthroats' chanting filled the air. "Did you and Daego come up with any new details for the plan?"

"Daego is going to go in first," Aurrie replied. "Get all of their attention like we said. I'll be the one to hand ‘em their drinks. Gonna get them the heavy-duty alcohol that we keep for special occasions."

"The Rhoda Rum?" Daego said with a wink.

"Ya know it."

"I'll have to hold myself back from joining if that's the case. That's the most expensive drink this place offers! You think the owners are going all right with you handing out that much rum for free?"

Aurrie looked down the steps, scanning to make sure that there was no one else down there. "They'll have to be. They say they've been saving it for a special occasion. I'd say this qualifies as 'special.' Not like we'll ever get royalty comin' down here to drink their troubles away."

Daego scratched the back of his head while wincing in Aurrie's direction. "Still. That's got to be a hefty amount of coin to just give away to a bunch of Cutthroats."

Aurrie looked back towards and then at the ghost hovering next to his head. "If what this Yalch fella said is true, then the inn won't have to worry about Cutthroats anymore if our plan works out. Just think of all the trouble we'll be savin' 'em in the long run by dealing with these hooligans now!"

After a slight groan, Daego placed a foot on the top. "I guess that's one way to look at it. I'm ready to get them in the mood for a bit of competition. You going to get the rum from the cellar?"

The housekeeper nodded. "That’s right." 

"Aren't they stored in kegs?" Daego said as he continued down the steps.

"Yeah. What's the point you're trying to make?" Aurrie trailed close behind while Yalch floated inches above her shoulder.

"Won't you need some help bringing them up to the dining area?"

Aurrie put left hand over the bicep of her right arm and made the muscle bulge. "I've worked in this place for as long as I can remember. Never needed any help in lugging a keg up and down the steps. Just focus on getting those Cutthroats riled up!"

Daego shrugged his shoulders. "I forgot about that part. I'd hate to be the one that has to deal with you if those newfound powers you were talking about turn out to be true."

"That's the main reason why I even agreed to this in the first place!"

"You say that now, but you'll seen soon enough that being a Purifier is a truly selfless endeavor," the ghost said as he floated backwards as the group descended the stairs while keeping eye contact with the seamstress. Aurrie looked at him with a hint of worry in her eyes.

"I'll figure it out as I go. If you think I'm just gonna tag along with those other two girls and get in trouble all over world, you've got another thing comin'!"

Yalch chuckled to himself before turning around. "Sure, sure. You're not the first Purifier to make that sentiment. And you won't be the last. Your brain says that now, but I can tell your heart says otherwise!"

The housekeeper went quiet as she shied away from the ghost, instead focusing her attention on each step she took. 

"Everything all right, Aurrie? I heard you talking to that ghost. He say something upset you?" Daego whispered once they reach the bottom of the stops. The housekeeper looked at Yalch once more, giving him an almost inquisitive look, asking what to say next with her eyes. Yalch didn't reply, instead returning the perplexed glare with a wink and nod of his head. 

"Everything's fine," Aurrie muttered back. "Just need to focus on the task at hand is all."

Daego pulled the door to the inn's main area just enough to peek through. He crouched low and waved at Aurrie to follow. She stood above him, both looking through the slim gap and into the dining area. The Cutthroats were spread out across multiple tables, downing food and drinks in a boisterous party. The patrons that were separate from the Cutthroats remained perched against the wall, looking at the gang with fear as they tossed their plates and empty mugs on the floor. 

"Haven't seen them go this mad in a long time," Daego whispered. 

"The worst part is cleanin' up after 'em."  Aurrie looked down at the swindler and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You sure about this? You know how Wystan can get when he's got too much in his system."

Daego looked on in silence. The leader stood on top of a chair and held a stick of meat in one hand and a full glass in the other. The rest of the gang lowered their voices as they looked at their hulking leader. The workers and customers turned their attention to the center of the dining area as well.

"Listen here!" Wystan barked from the top of his lungs. What little murmuring that remained instantly turned silent. "I just wanna take a moment to thank someone—" His words were interrupted by a hiccup. "Just wanna... thank a certain someone...." Wystan wobbled back and forth on the chair that served as his makeshift podium. Two other gang members scrambled to his sides and held him steady by the legs.

"Now, where was I? Oh, right. I just wanted to thank a certain someone..." In a dazed manner, Wystan turned his head as she scanned the inn with his eyes squinting tight. He stared at the people huddled against the wall with one hand over his eyes like a visor, making them all shrink back in fear. "No... I don't see him there either. Where's that sleazy fellow?"

"You talking about Daego, sir?" the Cutthroat to Wystan's left asked. 

"Yeah! That's who I'm talking about! Anyone see him?"

The Cutthroats among themselves as their heads darted around in search for the swindler. Aurrie and Daego hid back into the shelter of the stairway, both staring back at one another with eyes agape.

"They're looking for ya!" Aurrie muttered in fear.

"I know! I know!"

"At least... it sounds like he wants to thank you," Aurrie whispered. "Maybe he's not looking to bash your head in."

Daego gulped loud enough for the housekeeper to hear it. "Maybe." He peeked out the door again. All the Cutthroats began to move around the main area of the inn, looking under tables and over the bar. Daego inhaled, closed his eyes and let the air out of his body in a single, steady breath. "I'll have to go in and face them one way or another. Might as well do it on my own terms."

The swindler turned around and opened the door, this time standing upright. Aurrie stretched one hand forward, ready to grab him by the shoulder only to end her reach halfway. "Wish me luck," Daego said with confidence before stepping out the door. He closed it behind him but left a gap just wide enough for Aurrie to look through.

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Yalch whispered. 

"He's a smooth talker. I just hope that Wystan isn't in one of his rageful stupors." The housekeeper kept her eyes fixated on Daego as he walked closer to the Cutthroats' main table. One of the men turned around and pointed at him.

"There he is, boss!" the bandit exclaimed. The rest of the gang turned around along with the others inside the tavern. Wystan wobbled on his chair and spilled the alcohol in his mug. After a bit of help from his underlings, Wystan lowered himself to the floor. 

"Ah! It's... what's your name again?" a grinning Wystan asked. He tossed his empty glass behind him, shattering it to bits. 

"Daego. My name's Daego," he replied in a steady voice. 

"Right. Daego." Wystan lifted a hand high and dropped it on Daego's back. He staggered forward from the impact, almost falling face down. "We wouldn't be celebrating without your!"

"I was just keeping up with my side of our... bargain..." the swindler said with hesitation. 

"That's beside the point." With one arm, Wystan took hold of Daego's arm and pulled him in close to his body with a hug. His arm pressed against the swindler, making him grunt from the force of Wystan's arm squeezing him.

"Is t-there anything else I can do for you folks?" Daego asked with a wince.

"Anything else?" Wystan's tone took a sharp tone. Both his voice and face carried a shred of offence. "You think we're even now just because you managed to get us two of the Cutthroats' most hated enemies?"

"It was—" In a drunken sway, Wystan gripped Daego tighter, cutting his sentence short. "It was just a question!"

"Well, there is something else you can do for us!" Wystan's smile returned. Daego put one hand on the sheath of his dagger while his other hand gripped onto the arm that wrapped around his chest. His heart raced through the leather of his vest enough for Wystan to feel it.

"Why are you so nervous?" The large man's demeanor shifted again; this time befuddled. "I just wanted to let you know that you're invited to join us in celebration."

Daego quickly removed his hand from his knife. He chuckled and tilted his head back. "Oh! Why didn't you say so? You know how much I love a party!"

1