Chapter 100: Edge of Battle
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How are you feeling, Gertrude?" Miwah said as she held onto the old woman's arm. Aurrie let Gertrude rest her arm around her back as she and Miwah guided her through the last steps of the swamp. On the witch's face was a look of pure anguish as she struggled to keep her legs moving. 

"Mother?" Edith asked as she stood in front of the witch, looking up with worry as Gertrude struggled to breathe. "You look ill."

"I'll... be fine... child..." the witch said with what little breath she had. "Just focus on keeping close with that nice woman up front."

Edith obeyed and quickly turned around to catch up with Tamma. "We're almost back," the hunter said. "I know a place where you can get some rest."

"These old bones of mine weren't meant to walk this far," Gertrude said. "But I can make the rest of the distance."

"You have done exceptionally well for someone of your age," Miwah said as she guided Gertrude forward. "You went through that swamp better than I would have."

"That's because I had to go through it once already. I know how to negotiate it. It's just that my body doesn't want to."

"I'll make ya whatever ya want once we get back to Farrowport," Aurrie said. "For you and your daughter. Both of you deserve a good meal after all that y'all been through."

"That's a pleasant gesture but I'd prefer to stay focused on the task at hand for now. No point in focusing on celebrations when we haven't done what is needed to be celebrating in the first place."

"Just a bit more of a walk," Tamma called out to the rest of the procession. "Chaston would be more than willing to let us stay the night in his study."

"Let's just hope Daego ain't hoggin' the bed," Aurrie added. 

The group continued further towards the Governor's District. With Miwah and Aurrie's assistance, Gertrude was able to make it the remaining distance to the fence. Once the two girls released her, she held onto the post as Tamma stared into the Governor's District.

"Everything all right, Tamma?" Aurrie asked as she stretched her legs.

"You hearing something, lass?" Tamma said confused. "Or is it just me? Usually it's quiet in this part of town at this hour."

Miwah and Aurrie caught up and stood next to the hunter in silence. They angled their ears in the direction of the winding stone path. Among the wind and crickets, the faint sound clanking metal and the ruckus of a rowdy crowd travelled through the night air.

"Somethin' funny's goin' on!" Aurrie exclaimed. "We need to get Gertrude and Edith to safety!"

"What are you girls talking about?" the witch asked as she pulled herself off the fence. She wobbled to the trio, spreading her arms apart as she tried to stay upright with each step. "Is something the matter?"

"Sounds like there's a battle going on," Tamma said with worry as she stared in the direction of the Governor's estate. "I hear metal clacking... and I think screaming."

"Do you think the Ghenkans are attackin'?" Aurrie asked Miwah. 

The seamstress froze. Her eyes opened wide as she stared into space with terror. She put her hands up defensively and took a few steps back.

"Miwah!" Tamma exclaimed as she blocked the seamstress from backing up any further with her body. "What's wrong lass?"

"Huh? What?" Miwah blinked twice and shook her head. "A-Apologies. I do not know what happened. It was like... I was back at Taipen during its final day."

"You mean when the Ghenkans attacked your village?"

The seamstress nodded with hesitation. "Y-Yes."

"I'd bet all my money as a trader that the Ghenkans are attacking Farrowport right now!" Tamma said as she pounded her fist into the palm of her hand.

"Spineless cowards, the whole bunch of 'em!" Aurrie said as she clutched her sword and shield. 

"What did you girls have planned?" Gertrude asked having regained some of her stamina. "You are Purifiers, after all. I don't want to put too much pressure on you, but it is your job to make sure that the innocent are protected."

"Two of us should go scouting," Tamma suggested. "While the other stays here to make sure you two are safe."

"I can stay with Gertrude and Edith," Miwah said as she put her hand over Beacon. "I can still transform, and the two you know this island better than I do."

"We appreciate the offer Miwah, but we can handle ourselves just fine," the witch said before grunting and reaching down to put pressure on her sore leg. "Or at least I can. You saw what I did to that raving grizlewulf, didn't you?"

"But your legs! You can barely stand up," Miwah said as she put one hand on Gertrude's back to keep her toppling over. Edith stood on the opposite side and helped to keep her upright by pushing on the other leg.

"As long as I can move my hands and chant my words, I'm still a force to be reckoned with! Any Ghenkan foolish enough to charge at me and my daughter won't live long enough to regret it."

"I like the way you talk," Aurrie said as a grin of confidence appeared on her face. "She's got some powerful magic in her hands. If any Ghenkans try attackin', they'll start turnin' around and runnin' with their tails between their legs."

"Are you sure you can make it the rest of the distance?" Miwah said as she put a hand on the witch's back. Gertrude bent back and let out a soft groan as her bones creaked. "I can hear that your body is exhausted."

"We don't have time to discuss this!" Gertrude said steadily. "The longer we wait, the more people will get hurt. Now, you two help me walk down the last of this damned path. I'm going to need as much of my energy in case I need to fight."

Without hesitation, Aurrie lifted the witch's arm and served as her crutch. Tamma continued down the path with her bowstring wedged into the notch of her arrow. The further they got to the Governor's District, the louder the battle became. Cries of anger and anguish filled the air, overcoming the usual calming sounds of the night. 

Combatants became visible towards the bottom of the path. Members of the Farrowport Guard rushed out of their barracks, fully equipped in their armor with swords and shields and marched towards the heat of battle. 

"Looks like our fears have been realized," Gertrude said with disappointment. Miwah and Aurrie eased the witch onto one of the benches sitting outside of the Governor's District, letting her slump forward as she put a hand to her forehead. As soldiers went in through the gate, civilians came running out, screaming as they sprinted away from battle, not even taking the time to look at the group parked outside.

Miwah and Tamma looked at each other. "I think it's time, lass," the hunter said shakily.

"We should time our transformation. Until we come across someone that could pose a threat. We need to make use of our limited time."

Tamma clenched her fist. "If only Yalch was here right now. He could help us out by scouting the area up ahead." 

"It has been a bit. Maybe we can awake him from his rest." The seamstress pointed at Aurrie's necklace. "See if you can get Yalch to come out."

The housekeeper angled her stone upwards towards her face. "How do I go about doin' that?"

"Just give a few taps. Maybe shake it a bit," Miwah said. "You could also try screaming at him."

"Hey Yalch!" Aurrie shouted at the top of her lungs and directly at her Beacon. "Quit yer nappin'!" She plucked the stone with the back of her finger and then gave it a furious shake. "Hurry up!"

A gray mist emerged from the necklace. It formed into a drowsy eyed ghost that rubbed his face with the back of his hand. "Huh? Everything all right?" he asked with his eyes still shut.

"No! Things have gotten really bad!" Tamma said. She pointed towards the gates to the Governor's District. "The Ghenkans have finally made their move and are attacking!"

Yalch darted back as his eyes opened wide. "Oh no! Has anyone been hurt?"

"Most likely," Miwah said softly. "From what I witnessed, the Ghenkans are swift and brutal."

"I know you girls are powerful, but even I don't think you three together could take on an entire band of Ghenkans by yourselves," Yalch said with worry. "Maybe you could three could help out where you can, but I'd advise against trying to take them on head on, especially without any backup."

"They will have backup," Gertrude said confidently as she stood up from her seat.

Yalch turned around and looked at the old woman who replied from the bottom up. "Y-You have Potential?" he said in awe.

"You could say that. I used to be a Purifier. But I surrounded my Beacon many decades ago." Gertrude raised one hand, surrounding it in dark purple electricity. "However, that doesn't mean I lost my power."

1