Chapter 101: A Taste of Combat
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"This is perfect!" Yalch said with a bit of enthusiasm. "The more help we have, the better!"

"What about that fourth Purifier? Narrita?" Gertrude said as she let the power fade from her fingers. "Surely she could be of assistance."

"Oh... her..." Yalch said as he tilted his eyes away from the witch. "Not sure that's the best idea. Even if we could find her, I don't think these three would get along too well with Narrita."

"If that's the case, then why did you let her have a Beacon?" Gertrude asked with arms crossed as she cut her eyes towards the embarrassed ghost. 

"It's a long and complicated story."

"I thought Mentors were supposed to be conservative with who receives such powerful items. I remember the trials I had to go through just to earn mine! And here you are just handing them out like candy to children!"

"She stole it!" Tamma said. "If it weren't for her gang, we'd still have one more with us! We could have given it to you! Just imagine how powerful you would be if you could transform like us."

Gertrude shrugged her shoulders as she caught up with the others. "No point in dwelling on it now. But if you do come across Narrita, perhaps it would be best to at least try to reconcile."

The three Purifiers looked at each other in silence before facing Gertrude again.

"But we do have a far more serious matter at hand. Those Ghenkans aren't going to be stopped by the Farrowport Guard," Gertrude said.

"If you're coming along, who is going to make sure Edith stays safe?" Tamma asked as she looked at the child. 

"Would one of you be willing to stay behind?" the witch asked. "Edith is obedient. She'll follow everything you say. Isn't that right, child?" Edith walked over to her mother and held onto her dress.

"Yes," she said softly.

"I'll stay back." Aurrie stepped forward with both of her weapons drawn. "Miwah and Tamma can still transform. I can't. We'll stay behind, and if I see any Ghenkan make their way through the front gates, we'll be runnin'."

Gertrude reached down and stroked the black strands of Edith's hair. "Do you feel safe with Aurrie, child?"

Edith lifted her eyes and looked at the housekeeper. She let go of Gertrude's leg and took a step towards Aurrie. "I do."

"Then we'll be heading into battle." The witch took Edith by the arms and turned the girl to face her. She then crouched down, so she was at eye level with the young child. "I know you're scared, Edith. But I need you to be brave."

Edith frowned as she reached forward and took her mother in her arms. She started to sob, letting her tears wet the shoulder of Gertrude's dress. "I'll... try..." the girl stammered. 

The witch slowly pushed her daughter away. With one finger she wiped away the heavy tears that pooled in her eyes. "I'll be back, Edith. I promise."

Aurrie stood next to the daughter and held her arm. "I promise I'll take care of her," the housekeeper said with confidence. "I'd die for her."

Gertrude stood upright and placed a hand on the housekeeper's shoulder. "Thank you. I have confidence that you'll keep Edith safe and sound."

Aurrie winked as she pulled Edith underneath her arm. "It's my job, ma'am."

"That means the three of us will have to take care of the Ghenkans," Tamma said. "Do you think you'd be able to take on a boatful, Gertrude?"

"I can do my best. I have experience fighting savages, so it's not like this will be unfamiliar territory."

"Since you are by far the most powerful of us, I will stay close to you." Miwah stood next to the witch and twirled her sword in her hand. "My class is Marital Artist, so I will be the one to protect you if any Ghenkans get too close."

"And then leave the ones that are too far away to me," Tamma said. 

"You know, Tamma, you will have to kill," Yalch said somberly. The hunter nodded her head as the ghost stared at her with a concerned glare. "I know it's not in your nature but leaving too many Ghenkans standing is a bad idea."

"Yalch is right. As someone that has experienced their might firsthand, they deserve whatever they have coming to them," Miwah added. 

Tamma lowered her head before taking a moment to sigh. "I understand. This is what I signed up for when I chose to be a Purifier. It's either them... or one of us."

"That's the right mindset," Yalch said as he gave the hunter a thumbs up. "Now, are preparations complete? Are we going to head into town now?"

"We have to," Gertrude said as she took lead. "The more we take time to prepare out here, the more destruction that's going on inside!" With her weary legs, she marched forward, prompting Miwah to stay close at her side. Tamma caught up with the pair, taking position on the opposite side of the witch. 

"I can make sure things are safe," Yalch boasted as he flew over the advancing group. "Let me scout out the area ahead and I'll guide you in the right direction." The group on the ground nodded their head in compliance as they waited at the outside of the town's gate. Gertrude took a look over her shoulder and waved at Aurrie and Edith. The housekeeper nodded and hugged Edith close.

The ghost flew back at a high speed, coming to an abrupt stop. He waved his hands and pointed to the right. "Over there! Go straight and take a right as soon as you come across the branch in the path!"

"On it," Miwah said as she advanced in the indicated direction.

"But there's something you three need to know!" Yalch shouted.

"What is it?" Tamma asked?

"It's the Cutthroats! They're working with the Ghenkans."

"I should've guessed!" Tamma snapped with a stomp of her foot. "I wouldn't put it past Narrita to stoop so low to team up with Ghenkans."

Gertrude's eyes opened wide and put a short pause in her step. "I-I never would have thought..."

Miwah put a hand on the witch's back. "No point in thinking about Narrita now," Miwah said. "We have to keep going."

"Right." Gertrude rubbed her forehead with the palm of her hand before moving on. "Let's just focus on the battle at hand."

The group continued, walking past screaming townsfolk as they fled for the safety of the area outside of the town's gates. The sound of clashing metal grew louder the further they ventured. Tamma quickly led the group to a large home and took cover behind the wall.

"Right here, Yalch?" the hunter asked. 

"Yeah, this building. There's a lot of people in there. Cutthroats and Ghenkans. And there's a couple of people on the top floor trying to hide!"

Tamma left the protection of the wall and propped herself against the entrance. After stepping over shattered bits of wood, she pulled her string back as she poked her head into the doorway. She fired a quick shot into the room. In the next moment came a low and fierce grunt, followed by Tamma scurrying back to cover.

"Get ready, Gertrude," Tamma whispered to the witch as she placed her back behind the wall. Without a word, the old woman got off the wall and raised both hands to the height of her shoulders. In a few moments, a band of four men came running out. They comprised of a mix of both Ghenkans and Cutthroats, each holding a sharpened weapon in their hands as they stared at the witch with anger.

"Who shot that arrow!" the bulky Ghenkan in the front shouted as he slammed his axe into the ground. His eye quickly jumped to the bow visible in Tamma's hand. "You!" He pointed at the hunter and stared at her with pure rage in his eyes. The Ghenkan lifted his axe with both hands and slowly walked towards her.

"Stop," Gertrude said as she raised one hand. The Ghenkan obeyed and stared at the witch with a face a blend of both fury of and confusion. 

"Or else what?" he snarled. "She just shot my brother! If you don't step aside..." The man raised his axe, ready to chop Gertrude. Despite his aggression, the older woman steady resilient, unmoved by the threat.

"Just cut her down!" another Ghenkan said as he pushed past his fellow mate. With sword at his side, he advanced with a rising strike. With a flick of her wrist, Gertrude sent a bolt of black lighting from her fingertip straight into the Ghenkan's chest. The warrior paralyzed, only his muscles shaking violently as the dark magic coursed through his body. 

Within seconds, the man toppled over backwards as smoke rose from where the bolt penetrated his chest. His limbs twitched as the other three stared with horror at their fallen ally. 

"Now then," Gertrude asked calmly, taking her eyes from the body to look at the three remaining men in front of her. "What were you going to say? Something about me... stepping aside?"

1