Chapter 124: Farewell to Farrowport
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How are you feeling, Tamma?" Miwah asked as she placed a hand on the hunter's shoulder. Both stared out at the mounds of soil placed between the edge of Farrowport and the surrounding forest. A long row of graves lined the ground, each one covered in flowers and surrounded by lush trees. 

"It's... been rough, lass," Tamma said heavily. She blinked away a few tears before taking a few steps in front of one of the headstones. The hunter looked down at the bouquet of yellow flowers before kneeling. She brushed her hand against the engraving. Alson Brundst read the carving. 

"You should be proud," Miwah said as she watched Tamma place the flowers over the grave. "Without him, we would not be standing here now."

"I am proud. Very proud of Alson. Just wish... I could have said more. Same with Chaston." Miwah and Tamma both looked towards the grave on the left. "Did you get the seeds that he offered you before he died?"

The seamstress patted the side of her robe. "Right here. I will keep them safe."

"Good. He would have rather had rather those seeds be in the hands of someone that knows how to cultivate them instead of collecting dust on some merchant's shelf until the end of time."

Aurrie made her way to the other two, placing a hand over her eyes to block out the noon sun. "Are y'all ready to head back down?"

"I am," Tamma said as she stood up. "Mourning can only do so much."

"Any news on the repairing efforts?" Miwah asked as she followed the housekeeper along the path to upper Farrowport.

"Last I heard, Remcroft is gonna be sendin' some people down to help with repairs. Along with a new governor and a few temporary soldiers to keep watch over the place."

"That's good to know," Tamma said as she blinked away the last few tears that lingered in her eyes. "I just hope that there's no one else planning on attacking the town."

"Are Gertrude and Edith still in Chaston's study?" The seamstress asked.

"Yeah. Along with Daego. I know Gertrude wanted to talk to us about somethin'."

"I'm sure she's going to tell us about our duties as being Purifiers or something like that," the hunter said with a chuckle.

"That's the feelin' I got when she told me to come find y'all."

Miwah looked at her necklace. "I am sure Yalch needs to hear what she has to well." She tapped on the stone, making the ghost emerge with his palms rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Good morning, everyone," the ghost said after yawning.

"It's the middle of the afternoon, Yalch," Tamma said.

"Oh. I can't really tell time when I'm resting."

"Gertrude wants to talk all three of us. Together," Aurrie said. "Think you have any idea what the old lady has on her mind?"

The ghost looked to the sky while tapping his chin with a finger. "Yeah. I do. But the only way for you three to find out is if you talk to her for yourselves!"

"Oh?" an intrigued Miwah said. "How would you even know what she has planned to say?"

"Because I talked to her the other day. I wanted some input from a very experienced Purifier on what to do next with the three of you."

Miwah and Aurrie looked at each other with inquisitive eye as Tamma confidently strode past. "Come on, lasses. No point in wondering what Gertrude has to say. Might as well meet her and find out!"

****

The damage on the walls and floors from the invasion remained, but the area had been clear of debris. Tamma led the group down the hall, her eyes jumping from one scratch to the other as she struggled to fight off remembering the battle. She soon brought the group to Chaston's room and knocked on the door after a bit of hesitation. 

"I got it!" Daego said from behind the door. He opened it p and greeted the group with a polite bow. "She's been waiting for you," Daego said with an ostentatious tone.

Gertrude finished placing a book back on the desk before facing the group. She gave them a gentle smile while Edith sat on the bed, holding Mister Cuddles tight with one hand and waving with the other. "Ah. So glad you three all made it together."

"I appreciate you cleaning up Chaston's place," Tamma said as her eyes wandered around the room. "Looks as tidy as ever."

"Oh, don't worry about it. It's the least we could do after all he's done for Farrowport."

"I hope the next researcher Remcroft sends will be even half as good Chaston was," Tamma said with a sigh.

"I talked with a correspondent from Remcroft's mainland not too long ago. They'll be stricter with who they're putting in charge of the island. Until then, I'm in charge of rebuilding upper Farrowport."

Everyone's eyes widened. "Really?" Miwah said. "And to think that a few days ago you were content with living in that shack with just you and your daughter. Oh, and of course Mister Cuddles."

"You girls seem to have reignited a flame in me. I have so much power and the people of this town are in desperate need of assistance. Living as a recluse was a selfish choice."

"Now you've got us, ma'am," Tamma said as she nudged the witch in the shoulder with her elbow. “We can help you out… with helping out!’

Gertrude paused, turning her attention to the hovering ghost overhead. "Actually, that's why I wanted to bring you three here. Yalch and I had a little discussion not too long ago. We'd like to talk about it with you."

Aurrie grabbed a seat from the side of the and plopped it down in the middle of the room, sitting on it with the back of the seat in front of her. "We're all ears, Gertrude. What did you wanna tell us?"

The ghost floated beside Gertrude and panned his eyes across the trio. "You three did an exceptional job the other day. Very rarely do all Purifiers make it out alive during their first crisis!"

"What?" Aurrie said with shock. "I don't remember you tellin' me that part! You're sayin' there's a good chance one of us could have died?"

"You were tasked with going up against killer insects and some of the most vicious barbarians in the world," Gertrude said sternly. "We would have assumed you would have figured that out through context."

The housekeeper shrugged her shoulders. "Good point."

"Now. Yalch came to me seeking suggestions on how to further your Purifier training. It didn't take long for both of us to come to the conclusion that Farrowport is not the place to be if you three are to become stronger."

"But there is still so much to be done," Miwah said as her eyes looked out the window of the other side of the room. Burnt wood and smashed windows could be seen scattered through the other side. "And who knows how long it will take to bring the town back to how it was before?"

"We have people for that, Miwah," Gertrude said. "It's their job to repair. It is your job to Purify."

"What are you suggesting then, ma'am?" Tamma asked. "We just… leave Farrowport?"

"Precisely."

"Where to then, eh?" Aurrie inquired. "If I'm bein' honest, I don't mind the idea of leavin' this place behind."

Tamma ruffled the curly locks in the back of her hair. "I'm feeling the same way, lass. As much as I love to call Farrowport home, I wouldn't mind a change of scenery." She turned towards the seamstress. "What about you, Miwah? Not like you've been here for too long."

Miwah put a finger over her lips and eyed the ground as she pondered. "Farrowport certainly has its... aspects that I have come to familiarize myself with. But to be honest, I would not be too upset having to head somewhere else."

Yalch's eyes opened wide. "Oh. That went easier than expected. I would have thought Tamma and Aurrie would have at least needed a bit more convincing."

"You forget that we've grown up on this island broke!" Aurrie replied. "If one of us were rich, I'm sure we'd be singin' a different tune."

"What about Narrita?" Miwah inquired. "If anyone should be leaving Farrowport, it is her. She is the most wanted person on the island now that her gang was responsible for some of the destruction."

Gertrude closed her eyes and shook her head. "I wish I had come up with this idea sooner. Perhaps I could have convinced her to stay around for just a bit longer so you four could have left together. But it's too late to ponder that now. Besides, she's a resourceful and clever young woman. I'm sure she'll turn out just fine. It'll just be a bit more difficult for her."

"I'm sure you all will cross paths again," Yalch said with a smile. "Remember what I said about Purifiers are practically drawn to each other? I'd say it's more of a matter of 'when' rather than 'if'." 

Aurrie rolled her eyes to the back of her head. "I can't wait," she said, her sarcasm more than evident.

"Now all that's left is to figure out how to get you three off this island and where to send you. Remcroft agreed to give me a sizable payment for taking charge of the island, but that money itself is still in transit. But I'd like to get you girls on your way as soon as possible."

Tamma grinned. "Oh, save your money ma'am. No need to drop your earnings on us when I know someone down by the market that owes me a favor!"

"You do?" Gertrude said.

"Of course! I've made my fair share of trades down there. Been more than generous to a few customers. So, I could definitely pull a string or two and get us sailing."

"There's just one important thing, Tamma," Aurrie said.

"What's that, lass?"

"Where are we goin'? Maybe we should discuss that first."

The ghost shrugged. "Anywhere that isn't Farrowport, honestly. It's an island, so not like there's much room for getting stronger or helping people in need."

"When we meet with my special contact, we'll find out," Tamma said, bouncing on her heels. "I think I'm more excited finding out where we're going once we step onboard. There are so many places to visit... I'd love to see anywhere else in the world!"

"I have a preference for Xiwao myself, but I am fine with exploring new lands," Miwah replied.

"Ah, fine. If you two are for it, then I guess I am too. As long as I don't have to spend my time wipin' down tables and cleanin' up after drunkards."

"How quickly can you and your contact arrange a trip?" Gertrude asked the hunter. 

"Probably today."

"Would you three be ready to leave today?" the witch asked the group.

"Not like I got much to bring with me," Aurrie said.

"Same here. I just want Lug to come along."

"And I came here with nothing," Miwah said. "Save for my Beacon."

"Well then." Gertrude stood up and clapped her hands. "Sounds like we have a plan. I still have a few things to get ready in this room, but I can meet you all down by the market in an hour or two. How does that sound?"

The trio looked to each other and nodded in agreement. "That works for us," Tamma said. 

"Excellent! Use that time to gather whatever you may need. We will all see you down by the market within a few hours."

1