Chapter 125: Onward to a New Horizon
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you lasses ready?" Tamma asked as she stood at the end of the path leading into the market center. Lug stood by her side, eagerly bobbing his body up and down with his tongue flapping out of his mouth. The hunter had a small bag slung over one shoulder and her bow over the other.

"I have everything I need," Miwah replied as she kneeled by Lug's side and patted the brillick on the head. He let out a satisfied bark as the seamstress tickled underneath his chin. "Not like I have much to bring along in the first place.

"Same here, Miwah." Aurrie said as she stretched her arms high above her head. She yawned and stretched her neck from side to side. "I guess that's the one good side of bein' broke! You ain't got nothin' to lose if ya got nothin' in the first place!"

Miwah placed a hand over her mouth to muffle her giggling. "I suppose those are wise words!"

"I already talked with my contact about getting a ride on her next voyage." Tamma started down the hill with Lug keeping close at her side. The other two walked on either side. "Turns out we're going to Mesimica!"

Aurrie raised her eyebrows. "Mesimica, eh? Never thought I'd ever step foot on another continent!"

The seamstress nodded. "Not a bad choice. I know there are excellent crafters there. I think it could be a wonderful place to hone my skills in my other profession."

"Tailorin'?" Aurrie asked.

"Yes. I have spent so much time Purifying; I feel like I have forgotten how to even mend a button back onto a robe."

"It'll all come back to you, lass. We'll have plenty of time to on our way to Mesimica to practice other things. I plan on getting better at fishing."

"Do you think Gertrude would be able to buy some supplies for me?" A giddy Miwah asked. "The thought of going back to just making clothing has gotten me quite excited!"

"Don't see why she wouldn't. Remcroft is paying a pretty coin to look over the town while the new governor is on the way. Maybe she could buy us a few books to read along the way, too."

The housekeeper crossed her arms. "Why waste money on somethin' pointless like that? What are we gonna do with 'em, anyway?"

"We'd read them, Aurrie. You know? Look at the words and follow the stories in them."

"I never liked those things. Seems like a waste of time to me." Aurrie turned her nose up. "There's better things to do."

"I hope I do not sound rude... but... can you read?" Miwah asked quietly.

"Nope. Don't need to. I've gotten far enough without knowin' how. And I'll keep on goin'."

"You know what, Miwah?"

"What is it, Tamma?"

"Sounds like we got ourselves a little project to work on during our trip!"

The seamstress smiled. "Teaching Aurrie how to read?"

"No! I'm not doin' that!" Aurrie shook her head and stuck out her hand in front of Miwah. "I'd rather swim all the way to Mesimica than be stuck tryin' to read all day and night!"

"But Aurrie. It is a very important skill. Everyone should at least know how the basics."

"Don't care, Miwah. My dad wasn't a reader. Neither was my mom. And I ain't gonna start."

"She'll come around, lass. When's she stuck in a cabin for weeks on end with nothing to do, it won't take long for her to start pleading for a bit of entertainment," Tamma said with a sly grin.

"Wanna bet?" Aurrie snapped

Tamma turned around and extended a hand towards Aurrie. "Sure. What do you want to wager?"

Aurrie looked at Tamma's hand before begrudgingly accepting the shake. "Fine. Wanna put a few coins down on it?"

"Not like I got much to lose, but sure. If you want to keep it friendly, I can keep it friendly, lass." The two girls' eyes met, with Tamma's confident glare clashing with Aurrie's irked face.

"Then it's a bet. I won't be readin' a single page!"

"We'll see about that," Tamma said with a wink before starting back towards Farrowport.

Tamma led the others further into the bustling market center. After weaving through the crowds, the group stopped in front of the pier at far end. Gertrude, Edith and Daego all waited by a long boat docked at the end of the pier, with the witch chatting with a woman by the boarding platform.

"Chantel!" Tamma said as she waved at the group. The woman chatting with Gertrude turned her head and waved back.

"Well, well, well!" the woman said as she approached Tamma. She pressed one hand against her hip and let the other dangle at her side, the feather attached to her bracelet fluttering against the wind. Chantel wore a leather top with crisp white lace over a pair of brown shorts. The sailor kept her tidy dreadlocks underneath a tight yellow bandana that matched the cloth wrapped around her waist. Her skin was a shade lighter than Tamma's and her height a few inches shorter. "Looks like you finally decided to claim that favor of yours!" Chantel said with a smile as she placed a hand on the hunter's shoulder. "What made you decide to dredge up that ol' debt from years ago, lass?"

"Someone else callin' Tamma 'lass?'" Aurrie said with a chuckle. "Maybe we've found a replacement."

"These are my friends I was talkin' to you about," Tamma said as she pointed to Miwah and Aurrie. “We’re looking for a change of scenery. And I know you offer services for passengers on a budget.”

"Ah, the Xiwaoan and the housekeeper," Chantel said as she nodded her head while looking at the two girls. "Tamma here told me a lot about the two of you."

"Was it somethin' nice?" Aurrie asked while tilting her head.

"Nothing but the best." The sailor winked. "Every sailor worth their salt is afraid of running into a boat of Ghenkans during their travels. You must be a group of vicious lasses to take out a whole ship's worth!"

"Chantel here runs a tight ship." Tamma patted Chantel on the back. "She's taken countless people all across the world! If there's one captain I'd pick to take us to where we need to go safely, it's her."

"But you don't get the reputation I have just by letting any passenger on board. Just because I'm owing Tamma an old favor doesn't mean you three can expect to coast your way from Farrowport to the shores of Mesimica!" Chantel said with a wag of her finger.

"Tamma didn't mention that part," Aurrie replied.

"You used to work at an inn, right? Won't be too different from what you've been doing. This boat isn't going to clean itself, you know."

"So essentially we are free labor," Miwah said with her arms crossed.

"You're getting a trip, aren't you?" Chantel said with a smile. "I'm not going to work you three to death. But on my boat, everyone does their share."

"Trust me, lasses," Tamma said to the other two. "Chantel is firm but fair. Doing some chores is more than a deal for us considering Chantel's sailing and navigation skills."

"I'll talk with you three later. There are still a few things that need to be prepared on my ship. And that nice lady had something important to say to you girls before you departed." Chantel winked at the three again before going back on her boat. With the sailor gone, Gertrude took her place in front of the group with Edith at her side.

"Here. Take this." The witch handed a pouch to Miwah. The seamstress promptly opened it and peered inside with Tamma and Aurrie looking over her shoulders. "Consider that as a gift from me and Edith to you."

"All of those coins are ours?" Aurrie said with awe.

Gertrude nodded. "Yes. Spend it wisely. You deserve it."

Miwah sealed the string to the pouch and held it close to her chest. Her smile reached almost from ear to ear as she bowed. "Thank you, Gertrude. We will use it carefully."

"That doesn't mean you can't use it for a bit of fun. But still, try to use it for emergencies if possible."

"So... you would not judge us if we spent some of this in the market here? We need something to do on our trip."

The witch smiled. "Of course. That's why I wanted to give it to you now. I have a lot to do over in upper Farrowport. We just wanted to say goodbye one last time before you left. Perhaps you could humor an old woman with a farewell hug." Gertrude extended her arms and Tamma was first to take the offer.

"Ah, I am sure Yalch would want a part in this as well." Miwah tapped and shook the stone on her Beacon, forcing the ghost to emerge again.

"Oh. We're at the port already?" he mumbled while rubbing his eyes. He looked down and saw Aurrie hugging Gertrude tight.

"For a Mentor, you sure do spend a lot of time hibernating. My Mentor didn't rest that much," Gertrude said to the ghost with a smug grin as she ended her hug with Aurrie.

"I'm old, all right? I'm sure you can relate!" The ghost lowered himself to Gertrude's height and extended one hand. "But even I learned a lot from you."

The witch's hand slipped through the ghost's. Despite the lack of physical contact, both shook their hands up and down. "Likewise. These three are in good hands."

"Says a lot coming from you!" the ghost said.

"But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement!" the witch said while slipping in a friendly wink.

Edith joined in, giving each one of the girls a hug as well. "Will we see you again?" she asked the seamstress, making sure Mister Cuddles got a clear view of the group.

"If fate has it," Miwah replied while smiling.

"You'll have a say. Don't leave it all up to fate," Gertrude said. "Nothing would make me happier than to see you three back in Farrowport one day. Perhaps even all four of you together."

"We will do our best, ma'am," Tamma replied.

"And thank you again. For everything," Miwah said as she held the coin pouch tight.

"We'll be sure to send ya a package once we step foot on Mesimica!" Aurrie said.

"Edith and I will be checking our inbox every day!"

"Could you send something for Mister Cuddles too?" Edith held up the rabbit in front of Miwah. The seamstress carefully stroked what remained of his ears.

"Absolutely! There might be some delicious treats overseas he would enjoy."

"Best of luck, girls. But seeing as how you handled yourselves, I don't think it's necessary. I hate to end the conversation, but if we don't leave now, we might be here all day. And there is still much work to do." The witch held Edith's hand and started up the path. She gave them one last look and waved over her shoulder. "Stay safe!"

"Goodbye Gertrude and Edith!" Tamma said.

"Can't forget Mister Cuddles," Aurrie added as she waved as well. A hand landed on her shoulder, catching the housekeeper by surprise. She turned around and saw Daego looking at her with a long face.

"Promise me you'll be back," he said quietly. The housekeeper's face turned a bright red.

"You know me, don't ya Daego? If giant bugs couldn't get me, nothin' will!"

The swindler couldn't resist smiling. "That's what I wanted to hear." He pulled her in close with a hug and patted her back. "I'm going to stay here. I owe a lot to Farrowport. The least I can do is help with its restoration."

"All right. I'll miss you, Daego," Aurrie said with a sigh. "I really will." She sobbed once, quickly blinking away the tear that formed in her eye.

"Same here." Daego ended the hug. He stood with both hands on her shoulder as they stared into each other’s crimson eyes. "Gertrude needs my help. And I don't want to keep you here all day."

"I get it. I think if we keep at it, we'll both be bawlin' in no time!" Aurrie let out a hearty laugh, soon spreading to the swindler. After regaining his composure, he followed the others up towards Farrowport.

"Please, take good care of Aurrie!" Daego shouted over the musings of the crowd.

"Don't worry lad! We'll keep a close eye on her!" Tamma yelled back. The swindler turned around continued towards upper Farrowport. Within a few seconds, all three had disappeared completely from sight.

"All that's left is to get our stuff together from the market," Aurrie said as she looked at the pouch in Miwah's hand.

"We'll need to make it quick. Chantel isn't one to wait for stragglers." Tamma pointed towards the closest stall. "We'll start here and work our way around the perimeter. We can hit most of the vendors that way."


"Everyone happy with what they got?" Tamma said as she struggled to keep a second sack wedged underneath her arms. She looked at the other two and noticed Miwah struggling to stand upright with the bag full of fabrics and sewing materials strapped to her back. "Just toss that on Lug. He's had it too easy for the past few days."

"Thank you." Miwah strapped the band around the annoyed brillick.

"What about you, Aurrie? You good to go? You didn't seem too interested in shopping."

The housekeeper stretched her arms in front of her chest. "I'm not much of a materialistic person, ya know? Never had much, so I don't want much."

"Except for that pack of sweets," Miwah said with narrowed eyes. "Quite pricey for something that you will eat within a day."

"Hey! Let me spend my share on what I want, all right? Not like I spent as much as you did on a bunch of cloth!"

"At least I can turn this into something for profit," Miwah replied with a sly smirk.

"And what about those books, eh? What are you gonna do with 'em after you finishing readin'? Toss 'em in a fireplace?"

"We will teach you how to read!" Miwah said as she pointed at Aurrie's chest.

"Not gonna happen." The housekeeper crossed her arms and turned her head away.

"Tell her, Tamma. We will be on that boat for weeks, possibly months! It will not be long before she is begging us to teach her how to read!"

"I've got a feeling Miwah's right. Otherwise, I never would have made that bet!"

"I'll be more than happy to take your coin," Aurrie said with confidence.

"Oh yeah? How about—" Tamma cut her sentence short when she saw Miwah and Aurrie look up behind her.

"Hey! You three getting onboard?" Chantel shouted from the deck. "Because we're leaving in two minutes! Anyone not on the boat is staying behind in Farrowport!"

"We're coming!" Tamma shouted back to the sailor. She then slapped Lug on his rear, making him dart forward onto the loading platform. The other three dashed behind, continuing their conversation where it left off. Together, they entered the hull of the ship as two members of Chantel’s crew pulled the platform behind them. Within minutes, the anchor that kept the boat in placed was pulled up. A strong gust made the sails expand, pushing the ship away from Farrowport and into the calm blue expanse ahead.


Art Spotlight: Chantel Azaila

1