Chapter 11: Tough Memories
128 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"As I mentioned earlier, I was just a seamstress in my village. Like my mother before me."

"You got a knack for sewing then, eh?"

"I would say so. Back in my village, my mother and I were the only seamstresses. But it was our trade. How we made a living. So, I like to think that we were at least decent at what we did."

Tamma's eyes moved down towards Miwah's top. "Is your ensemble your own creation?"

"Of course."

"So you are talented then. We've got a few tailors in Farrowport that can fix up some tattered garments, but no one that actually makes clothing. Almost everything that people wear here is imported from the mainland of Remcroft. Makes everyone look kinda the same after you've been here a while."

"You are saying I will stand out once we reach town?" Miwah asked as she looked down at her wardrobe. Her clothing had long since dried from the rain that had soaked it earlier only to have sections of it coated in dirt, leaves and grass.

"For sure. But we've got people from all over the world, so it's not like Xiwaoans are unheard of. It's just that the war has made them sparse when compared to immigrants and travelers from other nations."

"I see. The population is friendly then?"

"Somewhat. Like anywhere else in the world, you've got your share of good and bad people. I like to think that Farrowport leans toward the friendlier side, but I've come in contact with my fair share of... less than savory individuals."

"That is good to know," Miwah said softly. “I must be careful with how I go through town if that is the case.”

“If you stick with me,” Tamma replied as she gestured towards herself with her thumb. “You’ll have nothing to worry about. I know how to spot a troublemaker and how to deal with them. Just act smart and use a bit of common sense and you’ll be just fine here.”

There was another silence as the pair continued to move through the trees. Tamma turned to Miwah again, watching as she kept her eyes fixated on the ground.

"Is it alright if I ask you something a bit personal Miwah?" Tamma asked, ending the pause in conversation.

"Yes."

"What are you doing here in Farrowport? I don't think you ever told me. All you mentioned was that you came here against your will."

"You told me about how you met Lug. It is only fair if I told you what happened to me prior to my arrival."

"Don't feel obligated if you don't want to," Tamma said. "I just thought that it would be nice to get to know you a bit and break up the quiet of this long walk."

"No, no. I do not feel obligated. I think it is important to tell you what happened. It is hard for me to recount. But I will do my best."

"Miwah..." Tamma began. The seamstress stayed focused on the path ahead, her eyes becoming watery.

"My village was attacked. First by a small brigade from Remcroft. The battle was fierce, but my people were able to defend themselves. But in the midst of the fighting a third party arrived. Barbarians, all dressed in fur marched through once the fighting was almost over." She turned towards Tamma, tears slipping down her cheek. "They did not abide by the terms of war established between Xiwao and Remcroft. They went after the injured of both sides. Defenseless women and children were not spared either. That was when I hid."

Miwah's entire body trembled. "Oh no..." The progression stopped again. Tamma pressed her hands against the shaking seamstress. "Don't go any further if it's..." The hunter didn't finish her sentence. A furious look in Miwah's eyes made her lessen her hug.

"I want to finish," Miwah said loudly. "I never had the proper time to grieve. It all happened so fast. All I remember was my family scrambling to make sure that I got away. My mother pointed towards the family treasure stashed away in our dojo. I jumped in. And then..." Miwah's tears dropped onto the dirt. Her hands clenched tighter while her breathing deepened. "I heard what happened. Their cries. The slashing. The laughing."

Tamma placed one hand over her mouth and gasped silently. "I'm sorry."

"I am too."

"All of this happened just a few days ago?"

Miwah nodded. "The pillagers that destroyed my village took the chest I was in. I hid away in there. I do not remember how long it was. Felt like an eternity."

"How did you escape?"

Miwah became silent. "I was swift. I managed to... sneak out across the deck and steal one of their escape boats. I drifted across the sea for one night and ended up on the shore just below the forest. After a few minutes of hunting, that was when I got caught in your trap."

Tamma looked down, pressing her thumb to her chin as she pondered what Miwah had said. "I wish I knew what to say Miwah. There is only so much 'I'm sorry' can do."

"Do not feel bad," the seamstress replied. "You had nothing to do with what happened that day."

"But I have a gut feeling that I might know who you’re talking about," Tamma replied. She turned her head and saw Miwah look back at her with a complex blend of sorrow, surprise and resentment in her reddened eyes.

"You do?"

"Yeah. It's the Ghenka Clan. I’ve heard rumors that they’ve been here on Farrowport before, but I’ve never seen them myself."

"They have?" Miwah blurted have. "What do you know about them?"

Tamma took in a deep breath. "They're known for doing what you described. The Ghenka Clan waits for weakened towns and villages before going through to raid the wounded and reap the profits."

"What else?" Miwah asked as she grabbed onto one Tamma's arms with both hands. She pulled the hunter closer, staring directly into her eyes. "Please! You have to tell me everything that you know about these people!"

"I'm sorry, Miwah. I don't know that much about them. Just rumors. From what I’ve heard, they’ve been to Farrowport but not venturing too far out from the harbor. From my recollection, I don't think I've heard of anyone actually confronting them in Farrowport. But their viciousness... and cowardice... is somewhat of a known secret on these islands. Especially for smaller areas."

"If they have been here before," Miwah said softly. "Perhaps they'll be here again."

"I hope not," Tamma replied. "If they did, I don't know if we'd be able to take them on now that Remcroft has taken many of the young and able men to fight on the front lines."

"Are you saying that Farrowport does not have a proper way to defend itself at the moment?" Miwah said with some horror.

"We aren't completely defenseless. Those left behind have taken it up themselves to learn an assortment of fighting techniques and how to utilize a wide array of weapons."

"Who is left?"

"Women. Children. The sick. And those from other regions that the Remcroft Kingdom does not have sovereignty over. Many have agreed to take up arms in case of attacks while the bulk of men have been moved."

"I have experienced what these men are capable of firsthand! They may be cowardly, but they are competent. They were able to easily wipe out soldiers on both sides. Some of the men could take on multiple opponents! That is how powerful they were. The shortest of their men were the same height as the tallest defenders of my village! I watch them slay healthy warriors with a single swing!"

Tamma became silent. She stared back into Miwah's eyes, both hearts beating rapidly. "So, what you're saying is that Farrowport might be in danger?"

"If I was able to drift their boat over here over the course of one night, then it is possible that the Ghenka Clan is not far away."

"Then it's a good thing that you were able to sneak out undetected," Tamma said. "Because if you didn’t, then they would most definitely have a reason to come searching for you here if they knew you escaped on one of their boats."

"Right..." Miwah said slowly. "But it is still possible that they would target Farrowport if the defenses have been weakened. Do you think there are enough foreign men here to put up a proper counterattack?"

Tamma slowly freed herself from Miwah's hold. She nervously brushed back her hair with hand. "I... don't know. The men come and go often. One day we might. Another day we wouldn't."

"'Might' will not be enough,” Miwah replied sternly.

The hunter shrugged her shoulders. “I can’t do anything about it. I’m just the merchant that sells furs. If I tell everyone about a possible Ghenka invasion, they’ll just assume I’ve been guzzling too much saltwater.”

“But if people don’t prepare, then Farrowport might fall!”

4