[26] Gaara’s Return
97 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Sorry for the late late lateee update. Life has been crazy.

[26]

 

Naruto awoke under the canopy's tent in a daze. There was something wrong--

The space beside him was rather empty. Naked, and thoroughly disoriented, he shot up and grabbed his thrown boxers and pulled both feet through at once. Nikko wasn't there like she'd been the past two days. His pulse raced, not seeing her around the campsite. Temujin, not too far off in his own cot, snored lightly like the pretentious punk that he was. Naruto edged by him until safely away to walk across the meadow their nomadic friends had sought, and was blinded.

Bright rays of sunshine burned into his sockets. He hissed and covered his eyes to look down the hill. There he saw his beautiful girlfriend Nikko Utsuri, picking flowers in nothing but her tan poncho dress, barefooted. A pleasant summer breeze blew across the valley and he watched her for a time, how light footed she was, how her green hair wafted like the greenest grass, teasing him with only glimpses of a tiny smile on her face.

Then she saw him.

"Oh, you're awake, Naruto." She stood up and he saw a nice collection of wildflowers in her hand. Yellow, pink, and white flowers with a speckling of red. She tucked the hair blowing in her face behind one ear and gave him a sweet smile. The tension bellowing in his insides faded away and he smiled in return. "So this is where you've been. I was worried. But uh, anyway, good morning."

"Good morning. I wanted to give these to you." She walked up the slope and held the flowers gently to her chest. "To cheer you up."

"Cheer me up? I'm plenty cheered up."

Nikko cocked her head cutely. "...You've been really quiet lately. I miss Naruto being...full of life. Please, take these."

He took the flowers and gave them a big sniff, swatting away a tiny ant on his nose. "Wow! These smell great. Thanks a bunch Nikko-chan."

"Nikko. Just call me Nikko, Naruto." Her cheeks deepened in color as she added, "We're very close now after all."

Naruto gulped. Her words were true enough, sure, but Naruto didn't feel close enough. In the two days they'd spent together he had longed to hear more about her time with Orochimaru and Sasuke, but Nikko kept those details hidden. He had moped but eventually let it slide, not wanting to upset his girlfriend. "Alright...N-Nikko."

She giggled and pecked his cheek. "Race you to the top!"

"You're on!"

Both combatants took off running, but Naruto was sorely unprepared for Nikko's time jutsu. She had disappeared only to appear at the top of the hill, sticking out her tongue. "Nyah! I won! He he!"

Naruto pouted. "Not fair. You used the time jutsu! I demand a redo."

"Nope, no redos!"

Together they walked back to camp, where Temujin had been awakened by their banter. He sat up, Nerugui jumping off his chest and plopping down into his lap. Blearily he frowned at them both. "M'lady, you're up rather early."

"Mhm. I feel good. All this wonderful food and seeing you both has made me full of energy," Nikko replied. She looked at Naruto briefly, "I'm still getting used to being back."

Naruto bit his jaw. He was still getting used to her being back, too. As he dressed himself he said, "Well you'd better get used to it, Nikko, 'cause you're gonna be seeing me a whole lot."

"Of course!"

Conversation turned towards food. The elders of the nomads roused and began foraging. They'd had a younger boy fishing the day before, the trout kept inside a barrel at the bottom of the valley within the water to stay fresh. After it was fetched a fire was made, a big cauldron loaded with vegetables and dried herbs, and the smells wafted across the hilltop and made Naruto's mouth water. "Aw man, that smells good old man!"

The 'old man' took a drag from his pipe. "Yes. We've kept the old recipes, handed down through the generations..."

Naruto sensed the geezer was about to go on another big ramble so he quickly said, "I need to go find Shikamaru-san and Sakura-chan."

Nikko nodded. "We will. Oh! Aren't we going to see Master Haido-san today, Temujin-san?"

Temujin nodded. "Yes. I must report back to him." He gave Naruto a hard look. The two hadn't saw eye to eye about the word peace, and Nikko was supposed to help Temujin on his mission to bring it about. Naruto had many doubts about that and they'd done nothing but argue since he was told. But seeing as Nikko had promised him, well, Naruto had to bit his tongue. Literally. He was doing it now, in fact.

Nikko smiled. "I see. Then, shall we search for Sakura-chan and Shikamaru-san first, before going to Master Haido-san?"

"Very well."

Finally the food was made and all ate their fill. Nikko had a speck of rice on her cheek and Naruto reached across the log they shared, swiping it away and eating it. "Heh. You're a messy eater, Nikko."

"I am not!"

Temujin sat down his wooden bowl and frowned. "All your flirting is annoying."

Naruto glared at Temujin. The two had a stare down until Nikko clanked her spoon down and cleared her throat. "That was wonderful. I feel even better now," she said. Her purple eyes caught the nine tailed Jinchuuriki who swallowed. Sometimes she was just too beautiful for words. Like right now, with pink cheeks and fluttery green lashes. His eyes watched her dainty peachy lips talk. He hadn't heard a word she said, too busy gazing. "Right, Naruto?"

"Eh? Huh? What was that?"

"I-I said, they're probably worried about you right now."

"Oh. Yeah. Probably." He nodded.

The trio talked some more before setting out, heading towards the area Naruto had dropped from the cliffside. At the top of it, Nikko sighed and stared at the peak of a far away cliff. She clenched her hand to her chest. Beside her, Temujin stiffened. "You stayed up there, m'lady?"

"Ah. Yes. Sasuke..." she paused as if saying his name hurt, "...we had a hut. I was the only one who stayed there. He...came and went quite a bit."

At his former comrades name Naruto clenched his fist tightly. Sasuke had a lot of explaining to do, and Naruto was just the guy to beat it out of him.

Temujin looked across the mountain range. "Doesn't appear as though they're here."

"They're probably long gone by now. Maybe..." Nikko looked to Naruto, "...maybe they think you've went to the nearest town over?"

Naruto shrugged, "Maybe. Hard to say."

They left down the cliff side and made way towards the river, following it for awhile. Naruto's mind kept replaying his girlfriends sorrow, her admission of missing Sasuke, and her attempt to end her suffering. They hadn't spoken about that time since but Naruto would never forget it. Maybe when they were back in Konoha she would tell him more. Hopefully.

The nearest town over had been pulverized by destruction. Nothing but ruins remained. Naruto and company gazed around. "Aw man. This place has been wrecked," he said.

"They didn't find the stone here," Temujin muttered.

"The stone of Gelal?" Nikko asked. "Is that...why this place was attacked?"

Temujin grew oddly silent.

"Temujin-san?"

Naruto realized that what Temujin meant was that this town had been demolished to find the Stone, the Stone of Gelal which was to somehow bring about the peace his Master Haido wanted. The fox boy growled, "This is what you call peace? Look at this place, Temujin-san! How could you let this happen?"

"..."

"Answer me!" Naruto grabbed Temujin's shirt, who then pushed him away. "It's all necessary. The sacrifices that were made were for the greater good."

"Are you out of your damn mind! This is in no way okay! These people didn't do anything wrong to deserve this!" To Nikko Naruto said, "And you're wanting to help this bastard?"

Nikko's face had grown pale. "I...I can't help you, Temujin-san. I'm sorry! This is wrong!"

"M'lady..." Temujin strained her name as if stung. "...this has to happen."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry. I can't. In fact, this is..." her words dropped down to barely a whisper, "...all my fault."

Naruto who had heard her words frowned. "It's not your fault! It's this guys! Him! Just look at him, not even batting an eye! These people are dead because of him!"

Nikko again shook her head. "No. It's because of my curse, Naruto."

She ran off through the town. One pearly like tear escaped and dotted the grass below Naruto's sandals. "Nikko! Nikko, get back here! You can't just run off like that!"

If she ran away he might not see her again.

He threw a punch to Temujin, knocking him down, before taking for Nikko's direction. He went several paces before realizing she must have stopped time. "Dammit! Nikko! NIKKO!" Naruto dropped to his knees and punched the dirt, balling it between his fingers in frustration.

Temujin and Naruto's attention was brought to a loud steaming noise. It reverberated through the trees, shaking leaves. Following the noise was something huge and monstrous, barreling through the forest and sandy area like a warship. "What..the hell?"

 

Nikko

 

"Aponi, I'm sick of this!" Nikko yelled, hopping from branch to branch. She'd used the Time Jutsu to get away from Temujin and Naruto, needing space to collect her thoughts. "They died because of me!"

"Hime-sama. That isn't true, surely," Aponi replied. They fluttered around. "Remember that karma will come your way. It doesn't mean you are the cause."

"You say that, but look what happened! This Master Haido will try to use my power, and to do what? Kill everyone until he finds the Stone? I...I can't go back," Nikko realized. "Naruto might get hurt. He has plot armor, but...I..." she stopped jumping and drug her fingers down the bark of a sycamore tree. "I don't. And...what if he...?"

What if Naruto's plot armor couldn't overcome her curse? She couldn't let him die. The very thought was out of the question. "He's better off without me. I'm just a burden to him."

Her face contorted with anguish and she sank down to cry into her hands. She couldn't bear Naruto dying because of her. Nikko had thought that she would be fine moving on and living for him, but if it meant he were to get into danger and die for it, it wasn't worth it after all. "Aponi...I love Naruto--" The Naruto who would be Hokage one day, who would find Hinata, and live on as a hero. Nikko was just a stand in for the real deal. "He deserves better. Hinata-san could...be with him, not have a stupid curse, and..." as she said that, her mind conjured up images of a future Naruto happily married to the Lady Hyuuga. How happy he'd probably be. "...and he'd love her instead of me."

Nikko had been tormented thoroughly by Sasuke Uchiha. Their toxic relationship was now a part of the dark past, butNikko Utsuri couldn't just forget what happened. She'd thought by clinging to Naruto she could be happy, but how wrong she had been. Nikko wanted to see Sasuke again. His coal eyes, silky skin, and feel him breathing on her neck. Even if those eyes had turned cold and had spurned her.

"I'm a wreck.."

"Hime-sama....go back to Uzumaki-san. He said he would protect you. Forget Uchiha-san." Aponi told her, "At least until your true love shows himself."

"That's just it, Aponi! Sasuke WAS my true love..." again she bawled. "How can I truly love again? Tell me Aponi! It hurts..."

"Aponi doesn't know, Hime-sama." The monarchs landed on her shoulders comfortingly. "We've witnessed our Ichikashima-sama go through much sorrow. Not unlike yours."

"Sorrow? You mean, when her father didn't approve of the monk?"

"...Yes. As a celestial being, Ichikashima-sama was not meant for a mortal. Yet she fell for him, and traded her life for him to live his, free of the curse. He was dead, you see, Hime-sama. The princess loved him so much she died for his sake, even though it meant she would never have peace."

"That's...so sad."

"Yes. We think so too. You mustn't give up, Hime-sama. Please..for our princess."

"...I get it, Aponi. But I've lost so much..." Nikko swiped her eyes and stood, looking over the treetops. She thought of Naruto's kindness, his selflessness, and her heart constricted. "...I'll go back to him. I will. But, what can I do about Temujin-san?"

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of a beast. It was drawing closer and louder, until the treetops shook with vibrating energy. Nikko jumped down and huddled to the bark of the sycamore, feeling the trunk swaying. "Is it an earthquake?"

It wasn't. The trees split apart and a large warship barreled through, blowing steam out it's top. Nikko was right in the way of danger so she dashed away and watched the sycamore become part of the carnage.

"Sheeee," the machine bleated as steam rose from it's core. It settled, and Nikko warily watched it, not knowing that her presence had been spotted, spotted by someone she'd been hoping to see for a long, long time.

 

Gaara

 

He'd followed the ship, needing to see what direction it had been heading towards. Gaara had sent his team to fall back and wait for further orders, knowing their strength wasn't enough to do much damage. Above his floating platform of sand, he'd made way and watched it come above the waters and transform itself to cross land.

Kankuro had went on ahead, tailing the two armored warriors who seemed to be the leaders, and said he'd meet up with him shortly. Gaara jumped from his platform onto the grassy forest floor and eyed the strange metal beast, wondering what danger it would bring to everyone. Because his thoughts were on these things he didn't spy the beautiful green haired woman until she'd jumped from the tree in front of his eyesight.

His breath caught.

A million nanoseconds of time spilled through the cracks of his face as he watched Nikko peer around, mumbling to herself. "I said I'd go back to him, but I don't know the way now. That stupid ship has me all kinds of confused!"

Gaara's body shook with adrenaline. He'd known all along that Nikko Utsuri was alive and well, but hadn't expected her to come from no where right to his vicinity. Immediately his sand shot out, sensing Gaara's will to ensnare Nikko and bring her to him.

She shrieked as sand slithered around her feet and went up to her waist, drawing her nearer. Finally she lifted her face to his---

"Gaara-san?"

His desire to touch her was too great. How long had it been since he'd heard his name spoken by her? Too long, far far too long. He lifted her into his embrace and captured her soft lips to his.

*Smack!*

His cheek stung.

"..." Wide eyed, Gaara stared into her angry purple slits. "Who do you think you are!" She bellowed. "Trying to trick me! I know you're not Gaara-san!"

"...Utsuri Nikko..." he mumbled slowly. She thought him to be a transformation?

Nikko's eyes overflowed with moisture. "How dare you! I--I won't fall for it! Put me down before I kill you, this instance!"

"I am not a trick." He said, gently lowering her as requested. "...It's a surprise to me as well, to see you here in front of me. I apologize for my rudeness..." Gaara bowed lowly to one knee. "I had no right to touch you."

"..."

An impregnated silence stretched on until his rose his ringed teal eyes and saw that Nikko was yet again crying. Silent tears fell down her face, chin wobbling pitifully. Quickly he lowered his head again. "..I'm sorry to see you like this, in such an improper way." He had more words to say but didn't dare utter his thoughts. It was enough to be near her.

"You are...really here..." she whispered. Nikko sank to her knees and sobbed. "I thought I'd never see you again! Why--why are you here now, of all times?"

Gaara swallowed thickly. He wanted to reach out and hold her, and had to withdraw his sand from forcing the action. His teeth grit back and forth with great effort.

 

Nikko

 

The demon of the sand had came from nowhere. Why was Gaara way out here, so far from Sunagakure? Nikko wanted to ask but couldn't talk very well for all the crying. She bit her lip hard enough to draw blood and accused: "You left me, you know. Without even saying a word."

"....There are things in Sunagakure that must be done before we can meet again." He replied neutrally. It was like nothing fazed him, and Nikko was all the more foolish for her emotional display. She sucked up snot and turned from him. "Oh, is that what it is? You promised me...that I'd go with you."

Longing filled her chest only to be replaced by anger. She looked through the trees up at the steam engine and added, "...I don't want to see you right now, Gaara-san!" He may be everything she'd ever wanted, but he'd came all too late. She'd loved and lost, and now lived the story of one having gone through life changing ordeals.

He moved from behind, and she turned only to see the remnants of sand. Gaara was...gone.

"Hime-sama, are you alright?" Aponi asked.

"No. No, I'm not...why...now of all times, did he have to show up?" Her green brows drooped in sorrow. She was both drawn and scared of him; scared of what would happen if they were to be together again. Gaara was the sand demon, the one who'd taken her chastity away and promised to be there for her, claiming he only saw Nikko. He was an ethereal dream. A life she'd had in the Land of Tea, far removed from Idate's murder, being kidnapped by Kabuto, and everything that came with being near Sasuke.

Gaara had no idea what he'd left for her experience on her own.

Nikko clenched her hand to the [ai] embedded forever onto her flesh, twisted with desire to see Gaara--

And pushed all her pain and sorrow onto him.

After all, it was entirely his fault that she had went through so much. If he'd stayed by her side and taken her back with him then nothing would have broken her spirit, she reasoned. Nikko would have gladly spent her days being Gaara's whatever, assuming Idate had lived and she'd been able to tell him a proper goodbye.

"Gaara-san..."

 

Gaara

 

She hated him.

Of course.

He looked at the strand of green hair he'd managed to pick from his shawl and pocketed it. Utsuri Nikko had all rights to detest him. Why did he think she'd ever think twice about him? What a fool he was. Gaara surveyed the steam engine calmly, in direct opposition to how he was within. Would she ever forgive him for leaving?

Gaara turned in the direction he'd left, wanting nothing more than to see her even though she resented his existence.

The days he'd spent searching for her were now void and useless. He was no better for the effort, and didn't even get to ask where she'd been, who she had been with, where she was going. "Utsuri Nikko..." he breathed her name.

One day, when he was someone important, he would return for her. For now he was just a demon in human skin who was hated by everyone he'd ever loved, and would not rest until the day he could rise above that title and atone for all he'd done.

Most of all, he'd atone for the heartbreak he'd wrought upon Nikko.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4