[4] Idate Morino ♡ & Lurking Danger! ❁
521 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IᗪᗩTE ᗰOᖇIᑎO♡ & ᒪᑌᖇKIᑎG ᗪᗩᑎGEᖇ!❁

[4]

Yesterday

Gaara

 

Baki growled in annoyance and looked at his fellow Shinobi. "It's been too long. You three...stay here."

He headed for the south direction which Nikko had left in. Already they had been waiting for longer than necessary, even for the most upset of stomachs. "Maybe she was ate by a python," Temari joked. Kankuro looked around them at the swampy marsh and shrugged. "It's possible. She's not used to even being away from her clan grounds let alone in a forest like this."

Gaara silently listened while fighting to stay awake. He'd not even dozed at all in a few days and it was beginning to show. Shukaku grinned in his mind. 'You're wearing down. It won't be long.' The demon teased him. Gaara gritted his teeth and forced his eyes open. It wouldn't be long and his bloodlust would be satisfied, the one tailed beast had meant. As soon as it's host fell asleep, Shukaku would take over completely.

Minutes later Baki returned. "Dammit it all! She's went and got herself taken," he growled. In his hand Gaara spied a piece of purple cloth.

The siblings' eyes widened. Temari spoke first: "Are you sure Baki-san?"

He gravely nodded. "I saw the evidence myself. Tch...this could compromise our entire mission."

Gaara shut his eyes. Kidnapped. It didn't matter to him, but it made his part in this play all the more vital. The weapon. All he was; all he would ever be. He'd be the best damn weapon the Hidden Sand could dream of; and when it was over, well, there wouldn't be anyone to stand in his way. Not even his father.

Only by killing others can I feel alive, he reminded himself.

Baki looked at them in turn. "We don't have a choice, we have to carry on without her. Once we're at Konohagakure I'll send out a search team. Until then, don't breathe a word of this to anyone."

"We understand."

"You're all too young to remember..." Baki looked up at the sky, "...hell, I am too. It began with the first Kazekage. He bought the Utsuri princess from her poverty stricken country and brought her here. From what I've been told, the princess came from somewhere much further away...stories say she was born from the sky."

Temari, Kankuro and Gaara were stunned. Then Temari laughed. "Nice fairytale. What does that have to do with us?"

"You didn't let me finish." Baki smirked and pointed to the Hidden Sand symbol on his forehead. "As you can imagine, with someone who can control time itself...there's many who would use that. Like us. She's too valuable, alive or dead."

Kankuro wrinkled his nose at Baki's words. "So in other words...if she was kidnapped by another village...we still need to recover her, dead or alive."

"Yes. As you know, any information in her corpse could be used...like controlling time, for instance...." Baki sighed and added, "Let's move. The sooner we get there the sooner we can begin."

They all set off once again through the trees.

***

 

Nikko

 

"Hime-sama! What a stroke of fortune!" Aponi said as they fluttered around Nikko's head. 

What a bunch of perverts these butterflies are! She thought while being carried by the amiable Morino Idate. He kept his gaze forward but probably felt he was being studied.

The lake to their left shimmered with the light of day as the merchants boat was being tied off. Nikko spied several middle aged looking men aboard carrying large barrels on the shoulders. "Morino-san, am I keeping you from something?" She asked.

"Idate. Call me Idate." He shot her a confident smile. "And no. I only came out to greet Jirocho-san."

"I..see...ah...you can put me down if you want." Nikko found it hard to look at Idate for long; her nervousness was almost overpowering. Even before she'd became Utsuri Nikko Nana had little experience with the opposite sex. Only having one or two boyfriends in her freshman year. And those were the relationships made entirely from love letters passed in class; not being held like she was by Idate.

Idate shot her words down. "What kinda guy do you take me for, Nikko-chan? I don't mind this at all."

The girls face reddened at the use of her first name. It was hard for the runaway sand villager to get used to such a confident and handsome person. "If you say so.."

The pair arrived to the boat. It was one of those pompous ones which had a sea dragon decorating the bow of the ship. The men stopped hauling barrels down the dock to give them both a stare. "Idate-kun, where did you find her?" One of them asked. The boy gripped Nikko a little tighter and grinned at the men. "She's a mermaid without fins. Anyway, where's Jirocho-san at?" 

One of the crew mates hiked his thumb to the stern. 

At the back of the boat Nikko saw a man wearing a casual kimono looking over papers spread on the top of a wooden crate. At their approach he looked up. She saw gray hair and a kind smile. "Ah..Idate-kun." He greeted. 

Idate bowed his head politely before setting Nikko down on a stack of crates. "Did you just get back?" He asked.

Jirocho nodded. "Yes. We received a large batch from the Wild Lands. It should last us a few months. More importantly, this girl..."

The boy bent down like a soldier being knighted and glanced to Nikko. "I rescued her from the waters. She appears to be from a ninja village..she can control chakra to walk the lake."

"I see." Jirocho gave Nikko an observing gaze. "Those feet...you've came a long way on them."

Finally the girl spoke up for herself. She began by telling them a story made up on the spot: "My name's Nikko Utsuri. I'm from the...Land of Bears. A-And I came here to find a job. Uhm...because my family is poor, you see..." 

Jirocho fell silent. She didn't think he would reply at all but he did. "Very well. I welcome you to the Land of Tea. Idate-kun here will take good care of you. Here; find her a place to stay, and some new clothing." He took out a pouch from his kimono slit and tossed it to Idate who snatched it from the air. The boy bowed. "Yes, Jirocho-san. How very generous of you."

The graying man instructed a crew mate to find Nikko a cloak to wear and gave Idate a salve for her feet injuries. The boy set to work on tending the girls feet. Gingerly Idate held Nikko's pale bruised and battered foot and began rubbing the ointment on. "Ah--" she squirmed, "It kinda stings.."

"That means it's working," he replied with a smirk up at her. "Jeez. Even your feet are pretty."

Her face flamed once more. "T-Thank you for everything..." she mumbled demurely.

"Like I said earlier. You can thank me later." The boy winked. He finished by wrapping her feet in bandages.

A man came by with an olive colored cloak. Nikko took it and put it on, feeling how thick the material was. It would keep her warm easily. There was also a hood attached. She thanked the man for the covering. 

Idate once again took it upon himself to grab Nikko. "Hang on tight," he instructed. She thought he was being forward until he began to run. 

"Kya-!" 

Idate was fast. Faster than anything she'd seen so far being here. She clung to his shirt and hid her face as if that would ensure their safety. When the boy had arrived into the nearest town, which only took a few minutes, he stopped running. "You're not even out of breath," Nikko commented. Idate smiled. "This type of thing is simple for me."

"Are you a ninja?"

His dark eyes widened. Then lowered. "No. And don't you forget it."

"..." 

I must have touched a nerve. 

Aponi, who had been quiet for a while now lit on his shoulder. "Hime-sama...it seems this boy doesn't like shinobi. Perhaps for now you should hide your true origins."

Nikko discreetly nodded. It would be foolish to tell him about her shinobi background and risk being found out. It was considered a terrible thing for a ninja to run from their village. But Nikko wasn't a real ninja; instead she was a teen from another realm brought here for the sole purpose of giving the real Nikko Utsuri a good ending. She doubted Idate would find that answer believable.

The town they entered was lined with shops on both sides, people milling about in various work attire. Nikko could see most of the women wore kimono. The buildings weren't very tall but had intricate tradtional designs. It looked like the setup from a popular samurai film. 

Idate brought Nikko to a lodge toward the center of town. It had a steeple black shingled roof and red wooden walls. Beautiful lanterns with kanji on them adorned the engawa. Pink tiny lights lit the street, which was becoming darker as the sun began it's downward trek for the day. Orange and fuchsia hues cast a summery glow on everything. All in all, the village was quite the sight to see. "Wow...it's beautiful here," Nikko commented. "And the sunset from this mountain is amazing."

"It's alright. But you know.." Idate smirked down at his arm load, "you're worth a thousand sunsets Nikko-chan."

"Ah..." she shyly ducked into her rescuers chest. "You're a smooth talker, Idate-kun!"

"I just call it like I see it."

***

Utsuri Nikko had no idea that she had been followed. A dark shadow cast over the town as her pursuer closed in around the village. "Ichishima-no-mikoto....finally, I've found you. It seems a simple poison wasn't enough.." The shadowy figure faded into the brush.

***

Three Months Later

 

Nikko

 

"Idate-kun!"

Nikko looked up from organizing one of the many tea sets the Fukamushi Tea Shop sold to see Idate walk in. She was grateful to Jirocho for helping her find this job, and for housing her at the local inn. The owner of Fukamushi Tea Shop, Shizuka, was a skilled Tea Master who had praised the girl for her skills. It was with Aponi's help of course. As well as the previous Nikko's memories.

Idate grinned at her and put his wide brimmed straw hat on a hook by the door. "Looks like you're pretty busy."

"Yes.." she smiled and collected the rest of the tea cups, placing them on appropriate shelves. It would help the customers see the inventory from the windows better. "But I'm almost done!"

"No worries. I'll wait."

The girl hurriedly finished her duties, reported the days sales to her boss Shizuka, and closed up shop. By the time she was finished the sun was beginning to set. "Phew! All done." She said with a grin. Idate placed his hand in hers and tugged her outside, leading Nikko away from her work place and toward one of the many restaurants. "Are you hungry, Nikko-chan?" He asked.

"Ah...yes..." Nikko glanced at their twined hands with nervousness. Neither one had made any move towards being more than friends, but the two knew it would happen eventually. 

The monarch trio landed on the girl's kimono shoulder. "Hime-sama! Morino-san is looking at you with such affection! You should take advantage of this moment!"

In response the girl's brow twitched as she discreetly flicked away the loud and perverse butterfly from her shoulder. Idate led her inside the restaurant and bid her to sit at a picnic table. He sat across from her. "So, what'll it be, beautiful?"

"M-Maybe rooibos." 

The owner gave the two love birds a smile as he whipped up the drink. "I remember when I was your age. Enjoy it while it lasts." He then told them about his youthful days. The waitress handed them both a menu and moments later the pair had ordered food and gulped it down. Idate paid despite Nikko reminding him of her income. As they left, she spied bright orange in her peripheral vision. She glanced over and saw a teenager wearing an orange jumpsuit. The girls' eyes widened and she stopped walking to stare openly. For a moment she thought she'd seen Uzamaki Naruto, but was relieved to find her eyes had played tricks.

"Hm? Nikko-chan?" Idate waved his hand in her face. 

She snapped alert and firmly grasped Idate's hand. "Sorry. Thought I saw someone I knew."

The boy looked where her gaze had drifted and saw no one. "Huh. Well, I have some good news."

"Yeah? What is it?"

"Do you remember when I told you about the race we do once every four years?"

"Mhm."

"Well, I was selected! Can you believe it? Jirocho-san chose me out of everyone--" Idate's smile was so bright and cheerful that Nikko couldn't help but reach up on her tip toes and plant a kiss to his cheek. The boy's brown eyes grew large before relaxing into a gentle expression. "Nikko-chan.."

Her face felt warm. How bold the girl's actions were. She hoped it wasn't unwelcome. But to Nikko's surprise Idate pulled her to him and pushed her head onto his chest. "...I-Idate-kun?" She whispered.

"I was going to wait until I won the race, but..." he tilted her face up and gazed warmly at her. "We've known each other for weeks now. There's still so much I want to learn, but--!"

Nikko held her breath in shock, Aponi also waiting nervously to hear Idate's confession...

***

A/n: More Gaara in the next!

9